tedge
Exciting Times for Young Saints
tedge (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:35

Eif Jones
Re: Exciting Times for Young Saints
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 23:34
The problem at Saints is the clubs ability and motivation to convert young talent into 1st team players.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 00:15
And you know Boyd and Vesty are going to do the same as Jim and Dorian?

The problem with your post Eif is that we haven’t a clue what THE NEW REGIME is going to be like. However if you are telling me that Grayson, Mitchell, Ludlam, Painter, Collins and others, are not going to have more of a chance next season, then I predict that you may be wrong.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 05:01
Quote:
Eif Jones
The problem at Saints is the clubs ability and motivation to convert young talent into 1st team players.

Every year there’s an U20 wo4ld Cup, how many of these players from each nation go on to make it big or even at clubs???

I love watching it to see if you can spot the next stars to be

But the majority just fall away, English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Kiwi etc

It’s an age group tournament, so competition for places is tough but doesn’t guarantee success in future

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 06:56
Eif does have a point if you ignore the sniping nature of his post. However, I do think there is a lot of luck involved in the transition from an outstanding youngster into a first team regular or better. coaching of course plays a part but the mindset of the individual how they develop physically are largely out of the clubs hands, also lots of outside influences when you are in late teens early 20's that confuse goals. all of these and more need to come together to fulfil any potential. For every Maro Itoje there are tens if not hundreds of talented youngsters who fail to make the step up. same in any sport.

MESSAGES->author
serious_saint (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:14
“Sniping nature”, beautifully put Walks! He is right but it’s not a Saintscentric issue as the post would suggest. We’ve got as good a bunch of youngsters as we’ve had for a while and, with the tricky economic rugby environment we’re currently experiencing, I can see plenty of game-time for them. I hope so anyway!

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:26
This years crop is looking perticularly strong with Jack Willis and Ben Curry as well as our own 4. But its right, it is an age group tournament

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 09:05
It's a real shame for James Grayson that Marcus Smith is in the squad.

James may well end up playing fullback rather than his preferred fly half for the big games or be on the bench which given his ability is harsh.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:18
Quote:
SaintMaul
It's a real shame for James Grayson that Marcus Smith is in the squad.
James may well end up playing fullback rather than his preferred fly half for the big games or be on the bench which given his ability is harsh.
Might actually be good for him! He's going to be playing second fiddle to Dan Biggar for a while and that full back spot at Saints is certainly up for grabs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 11:18 by protestbeat.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:02
I can't see Grayson edging Harry or Ace for the 15 spot.

It's a good opportunity to try and oust Marcus Smith and an indication of where he stands in terms of Premiership ability.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:30
I can’t quite see him as our first 15 full back either but would love for his progression to be managed more like Lozowski as Sarries; Where we prioritise giving him game time (at 12/15 maybe) and develop his all round skillset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 12:32 by protestbeat.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:32
Grayson's dad did ok in one particular game playing at 15...

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:32
Quote:
shendy
Grayson's dad did ok in one particular game playing at 15...

Indeed he did but generally he lacked the pace to be really good at FB. I think James is a bit quicker - at present not so sure about his defence.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:05
What he needs more than anything is game time. So even if thats at 12 or 15 it will be good. In preference i want to see him playing 10 in the less important matches and getting 20-30 mins in the more important ones. Biggar will be happy to get a little less game time and stay fit for Internationals and James will be ready to step up when needed.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 17:03
What they need now is top quality coaching
Not a apprentice coach
What they learn today will define them moving forward
Lack of investment is short sighted and has the inevitable result that leans towards failure
If we had focused T on playing 7
Given him specific training
Invested in a high quality coach
He would be a England regular
We wouldn’t have invested in Brussow

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 17:11
Quote:
Eif Jones

A fair point, as all clubs have this problem. Saints have been fortunate in having coaches who knew how to do it, hence the success with players such as Alex Waller, Mike Haywood, Teimana Harrison and Harry Mallinder becoming international class (or close) as well as regular first team. And, as has often been said, no young player has ever left Saints because of lack of encouragement and gone on to make a name for himself elsewhere. I suspect not many clubs could say that.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 13:09
Are any of these matches on tv, either live or highlights ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net