rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Deesaint
C Ashton
Deesaint (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 11:51
Seems to be a few rumours circulating that a C Ashton has asked to be released from Toulon and is looking to return to the UK.

Wonder where he will end up.

Nath-coys
Re: C Ashton
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 11:53
Sale.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:07
A bit late in the day to be trying to do that for next season with most squads finalised. Sale do indeed like to take in players who want to reignite a career but they have two rather good wingers in Yarde and Solomona on their books. I'd like to see Ashton back in the England fold but I would imagine that it is unlikely.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:27
Quote:
andysaint
A bit late in the day to be trying to do that for next season with most squads finalised. Sale do indeed like to take in players who want to reignite a career but they have two rather good wingers in Yarde and Solomona on their books. I'd like to see Ashton back in the England fold but I would imagine that it is unlikely.

Haley moving to Munster and Ashton has played full back for Toulon; could be a replacement? Not a million miles from wheres he's from (Wigan) so if its family it could work. Are Sales pockets deep enough though?

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:45
Quote:
andysaint

I think Ashton is not too far from England told at all.
And if he does come back to the Prem I think it will be in the view of getting in the England team, and it is likely he will have had spoke to Eddie about this as well.

I also think he will be coming back with a View to take the England 15 shirt.
He has played there for Toulon and been superb.
I payed a lot of attention to him in the Munster vs Toulon match and he was awesome, did not deserve to be on the loosing side.

Solid under the high ball.
Strong enough in contact not too get isolated.
And we know all about his support lines....

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:48
Wonder if Eddie had a word after Baa Baas...

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:09
If Eddie didn't at least speak to him after that game then he's not doing his job. How far that conversation went is another matter. I suppose it depends how the Daly at 15 experiment continues - I see EJ is sticking with him again, I suppose in the hope that the uncharacteristic errors from last Saturday were down to nerves and lack of practice there?

In an ideal world you'd have both in the squad for next year, Daly has pace, vision and that huge boot while Ashton also has pace, has looked solid in defence in France and has that tracking instinct. In a limited size RWC squad both cover wing and Daly also covers 13.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:17
Quote:
SaintsEdward
Quote:
andysaint

Haley moving to Munster and Ashton has played full back for Toulon; could be a replacement? Not a million miles from wheres he's from (Wigan) so if its family it could work. Are Sales pockets deep enough though?

Similarly to the Haskell situation, if Ashtons primary aim is to play himself into the England squad money shouldn't be a motivating factor. I would expect him to take a significant pay cut to achieve his goal so any team should be able to accommodate him

Matt247
Matt247 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:34
he was awful and very lazy in defence for Barbarians and some very poor passing. Very good in attack but i suspect flatters to deceive.. Not the all around footballer from that performance. His defensive play has always been suspect..surprising for ex rugby league guy.

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:41
Can he play 8?

Corkst
Corkst (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:16
1. I don't think anyone needs to "re-ignite" a career when they have just broken the top 14 try scoring record for a season.
2. Criticising a player's defence for the baa baas is like criticising a player's defence for the Harlem globetrotters.

Whoever signs him will get a simply brilliant finisher.
I would put him on the wing for England.

All imho obviously.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 07:02
Quote:

stunning heís only 27, shame heís lost half a yard through injury... Iíd love to have Ashton back here for a year but alas it will be Bristol or other big bucks

BletchleySaint
Saint (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 09:40
It would be amazing if Ashton came back to us.

He is a true world class winger and most importantly he always turned-up in in every game and went looking for work - no deck chairs needed

Bernie's Dad
Bernie's Dad (IP Logged)
16 June, 2018 06:44
I may be in the minority with a few only, but I think it would be great to have him back too... thereís unfinished business to be done!

chappers_saint
chappers_saint (IP Logged)
16 June, 2018 21:18
Quote:
Bernie's Dad
I may be in the minority with a few only, but I think it would be great to have him back too... thereís unfinished business to be done!

I like being a minority! Ditto in this situation

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:54
Sign him up, then everyone can complain that Tom Collins isn't getting the game time he deserves smiling smiley

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 08:07
Although Iíd definitely have him back I donít think itís a real possibility now weíve just signed another winger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net