JRM
Re: Manoa
JRM (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 10:18

MESSAGES->author
Connorman (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 10:40
What a shame there are not more young welsh players coming through rather than signing aging foreign stars.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 11:54
I suspect Sam-ewe qualifies as being Welsh ever since he bought his wife a bunch of daffs 😂

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 14:00
Mr Manoa to you jones or Samu Manoa Eifion Jones dai bach. At least the blues will have a decent ball carrier to truck it up.

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 14:30
I know not everyone thought the same when the rumours were flying around in the past but I would have loved to see him back at the Saints.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 14:51
Lets be honest, he left Saints for money and at his age not too many would blame him. His time at Toulon was not an unqualified success nor a total disaster. As we have seen with Flash, the adjustment to life in France is not that easy, so no big surprise that Samu is working his way home via Cardiff. A shame he left the Gardens in the first place but as they say 'never go back'....

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 15:45
Quote:
Robert Stainsby Esq
Mr Manoa to you jones or Samu Manoa Eifion Jones dai bach.

A sad and pathetic comment which I would have thought you would be above making.

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 18:12
He only played around 50 times in 4 years for Toulon, so there's theoretically something left in his legs. Sad that he's decided to go into semi-retirement at Cardiff though, he might as well have signed for Esher or Coventry.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 20:06
cushy number playing against kids and reserves most weeks, with a handful of proper European games

happy days and well deserved

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 09:04
The worst thing for Samu would have been to return to the gardens against a backdrop of expectation and history, only to then not perform to the same levels.
He was immense for us when here and unless he could reproduce that level of form, he would be compared with his previous self in every game and the column inches would be column yards!
Best to fondly remember what was and look to the future with new guys, but also give him a very warm welcome if and when he returns to the gardens as the opposition.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 09:11
Quote:
JRM
Robert Stainsby Esq
Mr Manoa to you jones or Samu Manoa Eifion Jones dai bach.

A sad and pathetic comment which I would have thought you would be above making.

A surprising riposte from someone who clearly likes to (or perhaps you are he?) emulate the honourable member for North East Somerset, an MP who's views and opinions I fundamentally and totally disagree with, yet who is unfailingly polite and mannerly to those he opposes or debates with and he is entitled to his views as am I.

Over the years and for various reasons among them people in the past who used my surname only in addressing me (usually pejoratively or to seek advantage) I have found this rude, highly irritating, and bad manners Hey Stainsby or merely Stainsby! I decided long ago to ignore.

Polite debate and disagreement or merely passing news or comment are not served by lack of manners or cheap remarks JRM. By the way I sit in row P seat 364 of the south stand or am known to other posters here who if you know any would be glad to point me out and perhaps we could continue this debate in a mannerly way of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 09:48 by Bob Stainsby.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 10:27
No wish to be involved in this particular exchange except to say that referring to or addressing people just by their surname is neither unmannerly or rude in any way and never has been. When I started work I was taught to answer the phone with my surname only, on the basis that using a first name would be too familiar with someone on the other end you might not know and entitling with a mister/mrs etc. is in the gift of the other person. It was normal to be addressed this way at school and in the army. My ex-nurse wife was also so addressed when training. Most on here tend to refer to sports people by their surnames - some add their first name, some even add titles - none are necessary but none are right, wrong or impolite. Conventions might change but do not invalidate what went before.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 11:08
letís not take things so seriously

surname of first name, itís a message board.... crack on, 99% people on here are decent

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 11:28
Jim and Dorian certainly got the best out of Samu here and made him into a world class player. It is a shame he has not flourished as well since and hope he settles in and does well at Cardiff. It would be nice to see him back at the Gardens in some capacity in the future.

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 11:39
The thing is times change and old practices now (or perhaps always did) seem quaint and more pertinently can smack of a waspish colonial superiority. It takes me back to 1st April 1969 when as a languid youth I was introduced to my new colleagues as "Mr" but the men were all simply surnames and the boss "sir". There were many mature chaps (including an 84 years old) and ironically they all referred to one another as Major or Captain retaining their wartime rank as an appendage. Squabbles between these characters were frequent and of course to me extremely funny but the etiquette was very important to them. Coming as I did from a military family this was actually no surprise to me but as a devout child of the popular culture of the 60's and an aficionado of Round the Horne (and with Monty Python soon to burst on the scene) I could take none of it seriously. Surely in 2018 there should be no need to debate these sought of things.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 11:55
Quote:
Thrupp artist
.Surely in 2018 there should be no need to debate these sought of things.

Good fun though if done in the right spirit !

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:02
No offence meant here but does anyone actaully buy into this 'never go back' sentiment? I mean; Jonny Sexton back to Leinster anyone??? Roger Wilson seemed to do ok back in Ulster. Haskell and Cips did pretty well at Wasps 2nd time round. Many SH players now seem to do a few years over here then head back to their previous club. Seems like it actually might be a growing trend I can understand it more from a player's perspective as they want to maximise their experience in a short career.

I suspect the timing wasn't quite right as we've now commmited to Haskell and Cardiff are probably offering atleast 2 years but I'd hate to think the club would ever be as blaze as to say 'never go back' I think Samu back here for a year or two would be a calcutated risk with the potential to go really well if he could recapture a part of that charisma he exuded. I'd have him back just to hear that song ring around FG once again.

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:08
If you gave me a choice between signing Mr Manoa or Mr Haskell I'd still prefer Mr Eadie.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Flapjack
If you gave me a choice between signing Mr Manoa or Mr Haskell I'd still prefer Mr Eadie.

Whether or not Iím convinced by Eadie, heís not enough to cover 8 all year. Either of the above offer cover we need.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 23:36
It went through my mind
Haskell or Manoa
Sorry James or Samu
Either way there will have been a lot of Fors/against in both camps
Still canít decide but we have JH just wish he would let his talking happen on the field
There is a saying
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 04:17
Samu Manoa is a fine player and I think we had the best years of his career at FG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 04:20 by tedge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net