rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

sainttim
Alfies Indecent Chant Campaign - Pt 2
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 17:42
Some weeks back we had this thread on Alfies Indecent Chant Campaign

I posted an article from Mark who I knew who had experienced homophobia in football. I knew there was a follow up coming about when Mark took up rugby but I did not know what it would say.

Anyhow here is the article on what Mark found when he took up Rugby.

An inclusive sport

TringSaint
Re: Alfies Indecent Chant Campaign - Pt 2
TringSaint (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 06:36
Somewhat relieved that rugby turned out to be highly inclusive, although I do wonder how supporters would react if a top player in the premiership was openly gay - I can imagine that there would still be comments shouted out, albeit not like in football.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 07:32
Can’t help thinking of the fuss made some made when TP decided they wanted Tool Station on our shirts.

Be naive to think rugby can be complacent about these things.

Edit/PS- thank you for the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2018 07:48 by higgy365.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 08:21
Agree we shouldn't be complacent or holier than thou about it but my instinct was that rugby was fairly inclusive, I'm not aware of any openly gay Premiership players but we've had internationals and perhaps the most high profile ref in the game for many years.

Wasn't there also an incident some years back, I think at a six nations game, where there was some abuse along these lines but they took it extremely seriously and identified and banned the individuals?

StGonne
StGonne (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 14:42
Was reading an article in the Beeb about a week ago about gay rugby teams, of which there are about 20ish in the country. In my opinion this is completely the wrong way to go about it, segregation will do nothing to help the inclusivity of the sport.

On a side note I remember something about an Ealing player being openly gay? Came across as a top bloke in the interview and I believe has had massive support from his teammates which is encouraging.

LeicesterSaint
18 July, 2018 15:04
I think it depends StGonne - certainly if it was a matter of segregation then definitely a no-no but as far as I am aware it would be a choice and the players could play for any other team should they choose? Similar to most clubs having a 'vets' team - in my experience some of the older players are still playing for the 'main' teams while some try and get into the vets straight from Colts cause its a bit more laid back!

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 18:20
I am sure rugby isn't perfect. It is full of human beings and we all have our failings.

I was just pleased to see it was more positive than Football.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 19:02
As us at Bristol Bears have found out, there are those who have chosen to mock us by linking to Bristol Bear Bar and Festival as if it's somehow amusing. Indicates a level of homophobia but not outright hatred or similar, so some work still to be done in rugby. Our club Twitter has been actively engaging with the gay community, I believe we had Bris representatives at Bristol Pride as well, and one of our main media guys who's also a radio presenter is an openly gay bear which all help.

Friend of mine who plays women's rugby up in Scotland reliably informs me that a large percentage of her team are gay but not all, so it's not as if there's segregation as an above poster was commenting upon. I am not against gay teams, mixed and LGB teams both serve a purpose and have a place. So overall I think we should be pleased when compared to other sports but there is still room for improvements.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 17:05
I think it's a sad reflection on society that there has to be a "gay" anything. We are all human beings and should be able to join together in sport irrespective of sexual proclivity, religion, race or any other labels. Male or female versions of sport is a bit different given the physical differences but otherwise we are all just people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2018 17:07 by tedge.

banburyst
banburyst (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 19:10
Quote:
tedge
I think it's a sad reflection on society that there has to be a "gay" anything. We are all human beings and should be able to join together in sport irrespective of sexual proclivity, religion, race or any other labels. Male or female versions of sport is a bit different given the physical differences but otherwise we are all just people.

thumbs down

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 19:05
Quote:
tedge

My thoughts exactly
I think it harms more than benefits by ‘labelling ‘
people
The worst example was recent wedding of Megan Merkel to Prince Harry
I thought bloody hell he’s punching well above his weight
Main Stream Media obsession with Labelling ‘mixed race’ ‘Divorcee’ WHY ?

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 20:51
Quote:
Rinkadink
As us at Bristol Bears have found out, there are those who have chosen to mock us by linking to Bristol Bear Bar and Festival as if it's somehow amusing. Indicates a level of homophobia but not outright hatred or similar, so some work still to be done in rugby.

I disagree.

It was very funny. Laughing at funny things involving gay people is not homophobic.

The way the club managed seemingly without realising to change its own name to something which is both recognised gay slang, and the name of an established gay bar in your city which even owns the "bristolbears" domain name which was, on the day it was announced the name had changed, the top search result for "bristol bears" was all just highly amusing - one if those "laughing at other peoples blunders" things.

The gay bar in question itself clearly also think it is funny, as they have since continued the joke by using a painting that looks like a rugby maul involving your team, but where the 'players' are kissing on their marketing material, which I think is fabulous. The rugby club should just laugh along, embrace it and send some free XXXL shirts down to their Bear Festival.

If rugby fans started mocking Bristol fans relentlessly over it in a "you take it up the ***" way, that is very problematic, but that won't happen, because we aren't football morons.

The biggest sign if any of homophobic discomfort with it all I've seen is a few Bris fans unable to see the funny side of being inadvertently linked to the big hairy gay man community.

LeicesterSaint
23 July, 2018 10:12
Spot on, all about the tone and intent - in the same way that I don't think there's any homophobia intended in laughing at those with 'Toolstation' emblazoned on their chests.... it's funny because some marketing person didn't spot it.

Spin in the mainstream media is a whole different kettle of fish but for me, if a particular group of people want to create a rugby team together then so be it, as long as it is their choice and not being told they have to (obvious practical safety bits aside like age/weight group rugby).

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 01:28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net