rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

ajack
What is progress?
ajack (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:52
Just interested what people think would be progress in this weekends match? Not getting stuffed, result doesn't matter as long as we try and play an open game, less than twenty point loss, within a score, any kind of win in any style?

What do people think?

Nath-coys
Re: What is progress?
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:09
Sticking too what we are trying too build.

Believing in our new style of play and systems in both attack and defence.
Try and take the sarries team out of there comfort zone and see what happens.

For every game you have too make slight tactical changes depending on who you play, but if we want too get back to the top end of the League eventually it is about implementing your style of play and rugby on the opposition rather than adapting too them.

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:12
Whilst I always want Saints to win I wouldn't be devastated by a loss on Saturday.

What I would like to see is a continuation of us trying to trying to play a fast paced offloading game as I think when that clicks it'll be glorious.

I'd also like to see an improvement in defence. Last year we appeared to let Saracens just do whatever they wanted to.

So in summary, giving it a damn good go would make me happy. Winning would make me ecstatic.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:13
I have a feeling we might just surprise Sarries...

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:15
There does seem to be a widening gap between the likes of Sarries and Exeter at top level with wasps and maybe one or two others at level two followed by the chasing ( relegation worried ) pack.
It just goes to show how far we where off the pace last season when we suffered real thrashings.

The deficiencies we still carry, front row in particular, may be our downfall
Our starting back 3 for the last two games has fell short of 'top level' As has 13.
We are crying out for a top notch 8.

However, I like the way the team is beginning to play, moving the ball quickly, offloading, looking for space but more importantly being solid and quick in defence. If we start with the following I would be tempted to put £5 on a win.

Franks
Dylan H
Painter
Lawes
Ribbans
Brussow
Haskell
Harrison
Reinach
Bigger
Kellaway
Francis
Symons
Tank
Mallinder

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:49
Speaking to the coaching staff on Monday at the Wandies, they were suggesting that they are planning to win the game as are the players who are all up for the win.

I certainly hope that they can do it although a bonus point might be good.
(Sm128)

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:09
Signs of further improvement .... and a backrow of Gibson, Brussouw and T.
Bigger with a few chips into space behind Sarries permanently offside defence.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:12
I'm not expecting us to win, but i would like to see us play in the same vein as the previous 2 games.

I don't want to see us revert to the 'old ways' and continue to persevere with the new progressive, expansive style.

As for the result... as long as we don't get 50 put on us, that's a step in the right direction, compared to last season at least.A LBP would be nice, but i'm not expecting to get anything, other than confidence that the team are continuing to improve.

The way we play is more important for me this weekend. I want to see desire, concentration and accuracy from 1st to the last minute!

Cransley Saint
Cransley Saint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:20
The bookies have Sarries at a 9 point advantage, they are not far out normally.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:42
DeeSaint

Agree with that selection 100%

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:04
Progress for me is about seeing improved performance in the following, in priority order:
- Breakdown; controlling possession better & slowing their ball
-Tackle count / stopping them on the gainline
- Smarter kicking game - not just giving the ball to Goode

Add to that, maintaining the better discipline we saw against Quins and continuing to improve execution / reduce errors with the ball in hand.

If we can do those things well, then the scoreline depends which Saracens turns up. Could be a narrow win, could be a 14 point defeat. Either could still show progress vs last year. They are far from being unbeatable, but they are an 80 minute side. Saints are still guilty of going to sleep for at least 10 minutes every match.

Don't forget we got panned by Quins putting 50+ up last year as well as Saracens, they put 50+ past Sale in round 1 this year, but couldn't get any territory for 50 minutes last week. Its far from a foregone conclusion.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:22
Quote:
fleetg

Haskell has to start, much better player than Gibson Iím afraid.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 18:21
Why are you afraid ?

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 18:27
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Quote:
fleetg

Agree we need his combative style and bulk vs Saracens. Haskell has to start!

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 19:05
Anything short of the abject humiliation I felt at Twickenham last year would be an improvement. We did get close to surprising some of the other 'top teams' last season, so I think the main issue is dealing with the psychological damage done to us by the repeated stuffings of last year.

I hope we will win, I think we will lose but I also think we will put up a much better show. If we are competitive and don't roll over should Saracens get on top, then that will be progress in my book.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 20:23
No need to be afraid : we just completely disagree that's all.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 20:49
Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Speaking to the coaching staff on Monday at the Wandies, they were suggesting that they are planning to win the game as are the players who are all up for the win.
I certainly hope that they can do it although a bonus point might be good.
(Sm128)

Of course they did, and Iím sure thatís the game plan. But can you imagine the uproar/outrage if they said anything different?

Have to say Iím with Wilson Pickett here, think weíll get a win on Saturday.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 21:25
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Quote:
fleetg

Much better? Were you not watching last season. Just different I would say, no issue with Haskell starting Iím not sure there is the chasm of difference you are suggesting

For me being competitive and a reasonably close game would be progress. We looked completely shell shocked every time last season. Stick to our plans if it doesnít come off so be it but showing some fight and confidence against them would be good

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 22:00
Sorry to say (IMO) I haven't seen any yet

There were times on Friday in the first half where we were 15 yards from the line & passed backwards & forwards along the line & ended up back in our own half

I'm sure it will improve, but still haven't seen one runner hitting the line from depth again this year......yet

Bernie's Dad
Bernie's Dad (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 22:41
Thereís no doubt we will give it 150%, and motivation is there by the bucket load after last seasonís drubbings... but I hope we play with Ďleagueí rather than Ďcup finalí mentality. Cool heads and strategic thinking. Teams around us are picking up bonus points in wins/draws/losses. We know these make a big difference later in the season, and need to be more streetwise to this.

Iím gunning for a Saints win, and feel confident we can do it with our new attitude (and some new power in the back line!). However, at absolute worst letís make sure we see at least one bonus point in the bank!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 02:04
Waggydog, did we play a fast paced off-loading game last Friday, I must have been looking the other way. The Saints team was actually little different to last season's, 3 changes. Its going to take time to improve with front-row inadequacies and little creativity at centre. Its no good bringing in new wingers when the centres are not up to it. Defence has not been thoroughly tested as yet, I suspect that Saracens will do that, fingers crossed that the d can cope.

Saint Matt
Saint Matt (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 06:39
Progress for me - still being in the game at 60 mins regardless of if that's 0-7 or 40-47.

Just please not another one that's done and dusted by half time...

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 10:51
Haskell has to start, much better player than Gibson Iím afraid.[/quote]

A joke obviously.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:04
Quote:
Eif Jones
Its no good bringing in new wingers when the centres are not up to it.

The distribution statistics flashed up on the screen mid-game when I watched the replay showed 30% of the distribution came off Francis at 12.

The ball reached the back 3 plenty.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:06
In fact the half criticism from the commentary team seemed to be that Saints were perhaps going wide a little too quickly without some bosh up the middle first - could well be that Burrell has been told to play that role in the knowledge that Francis can whip the ball past him as a decoy if needed?

All these things will take some time to come together so we'll see.

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 17:34
Quote:
Eif Jones
Waggydog, did we play a fast paced off-loading game last Friday, I must have been looking the other way. The Saints team was actually little different to last season's, 3 changes. Its going to take time to improve with front-row inadequacies and little creativity at centre. Its no good bringing in new wingers when the centres are not up to it. Defence has not been thoroughly tested as yet, I suspect that Saracens will do that, fingers crossed that the d can cope.

Sorry to hear you were looking the other way Eif, I hope you didn't pay to get into the ground! It's a shame because in my eyes you missed some definite improvements from last year.

They absolutely weren't perfect by a long shot (lots of handling errors and a tough time at the scrum) but I think the ambition was there to see. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) watching it develop as the year goes on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net