rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

ancient mariner
Boyd on the Premiership
ancient mariner (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:19
Very interesting item in the Rugby Paper

His views on how to bring the youngsters on are also worth a read.

tedge
Re: Boyd on the Premiership
tedge (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 18:27
Couldn't agree more - the sooner relegation is abolished the better imo

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 01:47
He doesn't raise the biggest issue i.e. the RFU relinquished far too much power to Premiership Rugby Ltd.

The RFU should have the ability to insist on no relegation but haven't, the RFU should have the ability to insist on a minimum number of English in a match day squad (as in France) but haven't, the RFU should have the ability to insist on a maximum number of senior games per player (as in Ireland) but haven't, the RFU should have been in the forefront of the World Rugby discussions on the common rugby season between the NH and the SH but aren't as PRL seem to be able to object to any proposals. Laughably, its now at the stage where the RFU's England seem to have to rent their players from PRL.

The latest proposal from CVC demonstrates loudly what has gone wrong. If the purchase had gone through then the value of level 1 rugby in England would have been handed over to PRL for zilch and the member clubs would be able to spend that money on themselves and not for the good of rugby all-round. Maybe, the Chancellor should have taken notice with his Capital Gains Tax note book.

They should take a lesson from Rugby League where their present big inclusive review has all clubs, not just the Super clubs, involved.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 06:41
Every coin has two sides. Personally I think that ringfencing might take away that special something that makes the Premiership so exciting. Every game does matter and there’s a long standing pride in where you finish. The end of the season doesn’t just become a development opportunity for the teams in the bottom half of the table which therefore makes the top half less exciting because half the teams are no longer ‘trying’ as hard!? I think this is a big factor in the value someone like CVC seem willing to pay for it. Id be interested to know if they would favour ringfencing?

So basically I agree with Boyd’s analysis on young players not getting enough game time but would favour alternatives to ringfencing. I just can’t get past the ‘Exeter’ argument; The most exciting team in the premiership and a complete breath of fresh air over the last 5 years and they simply wouldnt be here if ringfencing was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 06:44 by protestbeat.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 08:04
Ringfencing kills the aspirations of the good clubs in the Championship.

Ringfencing stops the poorer clubs in the Premiership becoming lazy.

Ringfencing excludes one of the 13 shareholder clubs in PRL unless the Prem is extended to 14 clubs, and that just brings more games per season.

It’s a no from me!

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 08:30
It's a real hard one.

As I love the Prem.
But on the same note we really are not harnessing the amount of potential we have coming through the English youth set ups.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

I personally would look at merging the A league and Premiership club cup.

Have a minimum amount of home grown players have to be in each squad.

I don't think the issue is being in the top quality overseas Players as the raises standards and can only help young English players.

I think the problem is amount of Average overseas players that are brought in as quick fixes instead of giving those places to a academy product and giving them some time.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 09:19
what would stop the RFU insisting that all EQP were contracted to them directly but then loaned out to the clubs? PRL could still 'run the league' but the RFU would have the controlling rights over the english players and with a simple rule tweak (minimum number of EQP per matchday 23) could force a change in approach by stealth.

This would neuter the cost of the england squad players to the clubs (RFU covers the cost of international periods) and they could have a restriction applied to number of matches / year (both international and domestic, i.e. 8 international matches and 15 domestic matches / player / year) and with the need to have a minimum number of EQP in the squad, this would drive the need to academies and talent programmes / blooding youngsters.

can all be sorted without ringfencing, but needs both parties to work together.

Same applies to Gus Pichot's comments re the international game - we need the likes of Samoa and Fiji touring the NH, so why cant we be fair and give then a reasonable share of the takings? That goes for all tier 1 teams, not just england, as if we lose these teams form world rugby then we will all be worse off.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:41
Hmm will getting rid of relegation make a team play better?

No, it’s the general skill level and weather that make the premiership what it is.

Maybe I’m wrong but relegation won’t make the bottom teams (who have poorer quality players) play any better.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:10
I can understand the thinking, but hasn't Mr Barwell spent years championing the necessity of keeping promotion and relegation?

Imagine if they had decided to ring-fence the Premiership when we had been relegated? Imagine if ring-fencing had stopped Exeter coming up into the top division? Imagine if Bristol didn't have the chance to make it back up to the Premiership? Imagine how London Irish would feel if they were permanently excluded? Imagine there's no heaven? haha

Guildford Saint
Guildford Saint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:28
Get rid of promotion and relegation, and you lose any reason for the bottom 1/3 of clubs to be competitive after the first 1/3 of the season when they realise there’s no chance to get in the playoffs.

St Michael
St Michael (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 17:20
Quote:
Guildford Saint
Get rid of promotion and relegation, and you lose any reason for the bottom 1/3 of clubs to be competitive after the first 1/3 of the season when they realise there’s no chance to get in the playoffs.
Get rid of promotion/relegation and you end up with an uncompetitive league,a bit like the pro 14

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 11:09
Maybe stopping teams that play good rugby, recruit a lot of local talent, actually make a profit and are generally very well run on and off the pitch coming up into the premiership is the way forward. On the other hand maybe looking at Exeter as more of a blueprint might be the way forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net