rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board




northampton_lad
Scheduling clash
northampton_lad (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 09:19
I expect I will probably be in the minority here but interested to see what everyone else thinks. On Saturday 6th October we are playing Tigers at HQ, 3pm kick off. Over in Pretoria, South Africa have a potential Rugby Championship decider against New Zealand kicking off at 4.05pm. I realise a lot of supporters value the 3pm kick off but would it really have been an issue for fans and schedulers if our game had been brought forward to 2pm?

I feel that rugby as a sport is the loser here. Because neutral fans have to decide which match would they rather watch, and it is probably going to be the Rugby Championship game. This means a lot of potential fans who could be donating to Rob Horne's cause will have their attention else where, as will exposure in pubs. There could well be fans who decide not to buy tickets to the HQ game as they don't want to miss the clash in Pretoria.

I believe in 2013 we had the exact same clash, I was studying in Birmingham and it caused huge problem in the pub over whether they showed the East MIdlands derby or the SA v NZ game. I had to go to a different pub to watch the East Midlands derby and missed out on one of the all time great games. Surely as a sport these issues can be worked out?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 09:20 by northampton_lad.

 
tedge
Re: Scheduling clash
tedge (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 11:04
I am not so sure that the SH match is that big a draw when compared to our own club side playing their biggest rivals. I would venture there are more "neutrals" in this country who are tempted by a big club match at Twickers than watching 2 other countries competing in SA, one of which is miles better than all the others. Anybody who's really interested in the Rugby Championship (as am I) will record the match and watch it later. In any event the AB's are certain winners of the tournament; the outcome at Twickenham is far less certain

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Scheduling clash
St Jerome (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:11
That why recording was invented!

 
northampton_lad
Re: Scheduling clash
northampton_lad (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 14:02
Sadly not everyone has sky sports, please can you advise how I can record it without finding out the score?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 14:04 by northampton_lad.

 
northampton_lad
Re: Scheduling clash
northampton_lad (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 14:27
Quote:
tedge
I am not so sure that the SH match is that big a draw when compared to our own club side playing their biggest rivals. I would venture there are more "neutrals" in this country who are tempted by a big club match at Twickers than watching 2 other countries competing in SA, one of which is miles better than all the others. Anybody who's really interested in the Rugby Championship (as am I) will record the match and watch it later. In any event the AB's are certain winners of the tournament; the outcome at Twickenham is far less certain

Sorry Tedge lots of points here I respectfully donít agree with. New Zealand v South Africa is the biggest rivalry in World rugby between the two most successful international sides. As big a game as East Midlands derby is, only one of these matches is going to be a sell out. If Twickenham gets 30,000 I think it will be a success (considering we canít even sell out FG for it). Secondly, after SAís win it has placed huge emphasis on the return fixture, regardless if NZ have already won the tournament. Thirdly, for those without sky it is not as simple as us going home & watching the recorded match. My brother who is big international rugby fan has decided to go pub to watch the Rugby Championship game instead of coming HQ, wouldnít surprise me if there are others who pick the pub over HQ.

 
tedge
Re: Scheduling clash
tedge (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 15:04
Quote:
northampton_lad
Quote:
tedge
I am not so sure that the SH match is that big a draw when compared to our own club side playing their biggest rivals. I would venture there are more "neutrals" in this country who are tempted by a big club match at Twickers than watching 2 other countries competing in SA, one of which is miles better than all the others. Anybody who's really interested in the Rugby Championship (as am I) will record the match and watch it later. In any event the AB's are certain winners of the tournament; the outcome at Twickenham is far less certain

Sorry Tedge lots of points here I respectfully donít agree with. New Zealand v South Africa is the biggest rivalry in World rugby between the two most successful international sides. As big a game as East Midlands derby is, only one of these matches is going to be a sell out. If Twickenham gets 30,000 I think it will be a success (considering we canít even sell out FG for it). Secondly, after SAís win it has placed huge emphasis on the return fixture, regardless if NZ have already won the tournament. Thirdly, for those without sky it is not as simple as us going home & watching the recorded match. My brother who is big international rugby fan has decided to go pub to watch the Rugby Championship game instead of coming HQ, wouldnít surprise me if there are others who pick the pub over HQ.

My apologies on 2 fronts Northampton Lad. Firstly I was away last week and hadn't seen yesterday's results, both of which were surprising, so the Championship is a close affair although I don't think the AB's can be deprived even if they lose. Secondly I did overlook that not everyone has Sky and therefore can't record it so unfortunately, as you say you will have to make a choice which I don't envy. Personally I wouldn't even choose England over Saints but each to his own

 
JohnI
Re: Scheduling clash
JohnI (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 15:50
Simple choice; attend the game to watch the team you support or watch the other game which I am sure will be a good match but hardly worth the concern being shown.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Scheduling clash
Stockers (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 20:13
Good grief!

Either match will probably show up on YouTube in due course. Why should NH club rugby be messed about by something going on in the SH which many of us only have a passing interest in, if any.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Scheduling clash
higgy365 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 20:23
Iím in the apparent majority that seems to think this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

 
MarchingIn
Re: Scheduling clash
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 22:13
Quote:
higgy365
Iím in the apparent majority that seems to think this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

+1

 
tboullem
Re: Scheduling clash
Mobbs (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:37
Saints first, Bedford second, England third.......SH games way down the list !

However, on the same theme, scheduling our game at HQ when Quins take on Sarries later in the day does seem a bit daft.....

 
Walks11
Re: Scheduling clash
Walks11 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:26
Quote:
northampton_lad
Quote:
tedge
I am not so sure that the SH match is that big a draw when compared to our own club side playing their biggest rivals. I would venture there are more "neutrals" in this country who are tempted by a big club match at Twickers than watching 2 other countries competing in SA, one of which is miles better than all the others. Anybody who's really interested in the Rugby Championship (as am I) will record the match and watch it later. In any event the AB's are certain winners of the tournament; the outcome at Twickenham is far less certain

Sorry Tedge lots of points here I respectfully donít agree with. New Zealand v South Africa is the biggest rivalry in World rugby between the two most successful international sides. As big a game as East Midlands derby is, only one of these matches is going to be a sell out. If Twickenham gets 30,000 I think it will be a success (considering we canít even sell out FG for it). Secondly, after SAís win it has placed huge emphasis on the return fixture, regardless if NZ have already won the tournament. Thirdly, for those without sky it is not as simple as us going home & watching the recorded match. My brother who is big international rugby fan has decided to go pub to watch the Rugby Championship game instead of coming HQ, wouldnít surprise me if there are others who pick the pub over HQ.

Biggest rivalry?? NZ v Aus, and any number of old 5 nations rivalries may take issue with that

 
TringSaint
Re: Scheduling clash
TringSaint (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 07:30
Yeah, itís not as if the welsh and English have any history!!

 
ramseysaint
Re: Scheduling clash
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:36
Quote:
TringSaint
Yeah, itís not as if the welsh and English have any history!!

As a little Principality* Wales don't count. The greatest rivalry is always Scotland v England no matter the sport.

*That's for Eif.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?