JRM
Cover up requested for World Cup 2019
JRM (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 12:30

Saint Stokey
Re: Cover up requested for World Cup 2019
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 12:57
Are there rules regarding what can be worn whilst playing rugby? Long sleeved 'under shirts' are quite common but i've never seen anyone playing with legs covered.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 13:09
good job none have tyson-esque facial tattoos, although quite a few have tattooed hands and necks, thighs and calves!! could make for interesting viewing and some great excuses for when as team loses - was because of the rash-vests and lycra long johns!!

The all blacks will end up wearing full body suits, gloves and balaclavas!

in all seriousness tho, the Japanese need to get a grip on reality, as thats like banning all flags just because Hitler used the swastika. Not tattooed personally (cant see the point - ka-boom, tish!) but how can a maori tattoo, or one saying your girlfriend's / child's / dog's / great-uncles's name cause offence to anyone?

And if they cannot distinguish between a yakuza tattoo and one of a girl's face then there is something wildly wrong with the population / government!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 13:33
ridiculous

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 13:56
Quote:
TringSaint
the Japanese need to get a grip on reality, as thats like banning all flags just because Hitler used the swastika. Not tattooed personally (cant see the point - ka-boom, tish!) but how can a maori tattoo, or one saying your girlfriend's / child's / dog's / great-uncles's name cause offence to anyone?
And if they cannot distinguish between a yakuza tattoo and one of a girl's face then there is something wildly wrong with the population / government!

Ridiculous statement.

The idea that Japanese society has no concept of tattoo culture outside of their own is laughable and the majority of Japanese people wouldn't bat an eyelid if you walked down the street with a sleeve on display. There are many many Japanese tattoo parlours and there is a rapidly growing tattoo culture in Japan especially amongst the younger generations driven even faster by the rise of social media.

The only evidence of any group displaying a preconceived correlation between tattoos and criminal activity is with the older conservative population found mainly in rural towns. This attitude can also be found during specific activities where tradition is highly valued such as communal bathing but this view is dying out rapidly in line with the rise in tourism.

The cultural hangover is due to the practise of tattooing criminals on their forehead dating back to 14,000 BC coupled with organised crime syndicates outwardly adopting tattoo culture in the 60s.

It's an overly cautious directive from World Rugby (nothing to do with JRFU) thats been picked up by the media and you should do your research before judging 127 million people.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 14:32
So...... if the japanese dont give a toss about all of this then why are the IRB / RWC organising company making such a big issue about tattoos and japanese culture and not offending anyone??

Do we not live in a multi-cultural world? surely (and i am sure to blow both of my feet off here) in a modern society we can learn to live with each other's cultural beliefs and not take immediate offence, just because 'its not what we do'?? Moreso that these Yakusa tattoos have only really been about for 60 years or so, so hardly entrenched into Japanese fokelore!

So, will the IOC also be enforcing this rule to save Japanese blushes? i can imagine the athletes being up in arms about having to cover up and it impacting on their performance. Personally its political correctness gone bonkers and people need to get a bloody grip on reality and work out what IS important - people dying in floods and of starvation vs some tattoos offending the very traditional, elderly Japanese population!!
I will let you take your pick!

Answers on a postcard to:

I dont really care
c/o Its got nothing to do with Rubgy!

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 15:13
Quote:
TringSaint
So...... if the japanese dont give a toss about all of this then why are the IRB / RWC organising company making such a big issue about tattoos and japanese culture and not offending anyone??

I have no idea and thats my point exactly. World Rugby shouldnt be making a big deal out of it because its a dated issue and its ignorant to judge an entire country based on this incorrect perception. People who travel to Japan for the world cup will be treated to some of the best natured and respectful people they will ever meet. I have every time I have visited even though I have various tattoos on display.

Quote:
TringSaint
Do we not live in a multi-cultural world? surely (and i am sure to blow both of my feet off here) in a modern society we can learn to live with each other's cultural beliefs and not take immediate offence, just because 'its not what we do'??

Of course we can, and thats why i made the point in the first place. Japan does respect other cultures beliefs and this unnecessary directive only continues the push the belief that Japan is a backwards archipelago.

Dumpling
20 September, 2018 16:34
Steady on folks. If you read carefully, you will see that covering is not required during games, but suggested for public areas such as swimming.

Very similar to the directive in England for WC 2015 that visitors didnít wear horizontal black and white stripes in case they were mistaken for burglars by less alert sections of society.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2018 16:35 by Dumpling (all statements in my opinion only).

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 19:10
Do players in the Japanese league cover up tattoos?

Honest question, plenty of tattooed guys play in that league let alone away Super rugby games in Japan ....

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 19:16
My experience of Japan and the Japanese people is that good manners and consideration for others is seen as very important. Given that the players and spectators will be guests in Japan, it is only good manners that they endeavour not to cause offense and if this includes wearing a vest to cover tattoos in a hot spring or public bath, then that's not a lot to ask! Personally I would prefer they were covered up in the UK too!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 19:45
Far more importantly, its not a great time to hold this in Japan, it will be peak Typhoon season. Heavy rain together with the constant threat of earthquakes is not the best recipe. I was there with Wales in June when the so-called rainy season hadn't started, a far more sensible time to hold the tournament in Japan.

Incidentally, there is absolutely no proposal or requirement to cover tattoos whilst playing.

HungryLikeTheWolf
20 September, 2018 19:58
totally agree that Japanese culture is built on respect and manners.... but surely they are bright enough to realise non-Japanese tattoo wearers are not from Japanese gangs... ?

a friend who lived there for 10 years said covering them up is usual as Yakuza related but I find it a bit patronising and love world cups for the mixtures of cultures .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2018 20:20 by Wilson Pickett.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 22:29
If I go to someoneís house and they ask me to take my shoes off at the door, I do. I donít argue the toss about the fact I might not always do that my house.

Itís just polite to try to be a good guest and not put your host in a spot. I see this request for some discretion as an extension of that- and how that equates to ĎPC gone madí is beyond me (and I speak as someone who has several tattoos)

Scooby Saint COYS
Scooby Saint COYS (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 08:47
I agree with higgy365.

By the same token, most Japanese people coming to the UK would be aware that we have a hang up about slurping soup. Privately, they might think this is a bit mad (slurping is not only polite in Japan, its a more effective way of cooling soup than blowing on it) but they'll try to respect UK customs.

HungryLikeTheWolf
21 September, 2018 11:17
they also keep the deviancy to a minimum over here as well

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 14:49
[quote Eif Jones]Far more importantly, its not a great time to hold this in Japan, it will be peak Typhoon season. Heavy rain together with the constant threat of earthquakes is not the best recipe. quote]

There was an earthquake in Wales in February. Does that mean that there should be no 6 Nations games held in Wales... just in case?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net