rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Saint Matt
First block of games - prediction change?
Saint Matt (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 11:36
There was a prediction thread before the season kicked off, what was your prediction then and how has it changed after the first block of games?

For me, I predicted 6th at the start of the season and I'm happy to stick with it... I see us picking up more points in the 2nd half of the season than we will in the first...

Waggydog
Re: First block of games - prediction change?
Waggydog (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 11:51
I'm changing mine from top 4 to top 6.

I do think we'll see an improvement throughout the year and then hopefully some excellent recruitment for next year.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 12:16
Quote:
Saint Matt
There was a prediction thread before the season kicked off, what was your prediction then and how has it changed after the first block of games?
For me, I predicted 6th at the start of the season and I'm happy to stick with it... I see us picking up more points in the 2nd half of the season than we will in the first...

Itís looking like 3-12 could be very close indeed. Go on a little run of wins and we wonít be far off play offs. Top 6 for me

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 12:50
we have a 6 week break from the Prem, hopefully we give other squad players a go and allow some rest for the guys who have been playing regularly

add in Haskell, Brussouw, Francis and few others regain fitness... we could be nearly a fully fit squad by the next game.

Fixtures upcoming are:-

Wasps (H)
Sharks (A)
Falcons (H)
Worcester (A)

I can see us having a chance of winning all 4, especially the first 3,so letís see where we are after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 12:55 by Wilson Pickett.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 13:42
I think I had us down as scraping into 6th place, but I'm now going to go with 9th and with us having more wins (but fewer bonus points) than the teams in 7th and 8th!

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 15:45 by Matthew.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:26
In truth my optimism has been dented thus far

Corkst
Corkst (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:37
I am still thinking around 8th but that is not in any way being negative (I think). It's a 3 year process and with a change of game and changes in personnel I'd like to see top six next season and top four the following one. Anything better/quicker than this will obviously be a bonus. I want progress and success but accept that it can't happen overnight. Last week, GE, one of the biggest companies in the world ousted their CEO after only 14 months in the job. People are saying that he has been poorly treated as he was trying to undo years of poor management of the company and the old analogy of trying to turn around a supertanker has been used.As it happens most of his strategy will still be implemented so it's basically a move to placate investors. I know saints are no GE but I'd like Boyd to be given the time to turn the supertanker.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:47
Quote:
Corkst
I am still thinking around 8th but that is not in any way being negative (I think). It's a 3 year process and with a change of game and changes in personnel I'd like to see top six next season and top four the following one. Anything better/quicker than this will obviously be a bonus. I want progress and success but accept that it can't happen overnight. Last week, GE, one of the biggest companies in the world ousted their CEO after only 14 months in the job. People are saying that he has been poorly treated as he was trying to undo years of poor management of the company and the old analogy of trying to turn around a supertanker has been used.As it happens most of his strategy will still be implemented so it's basically a move to placate investors. I know saints are no GE but I'd like Boyd to be given the time to turn the supertanker.

You will get banned for posting a reasoned comment if you are not careful

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:51
Top 6 was the prediction and I think we will be looking at 6th 7th or 8th.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 15:27
Big 4 games in the league in that block. As Wilson says we should be looking at wins. Home wins are a must, for any club and this year in particular where it is very competitive. If we want the club not to be relegation contenders we need to pick up away wins to sale and Worcester. Anything less than 3 wins out of those 4 and we donít deserve to be looking at top 6.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:43
This is a really good question St Matt.
I believe I forecast 4th, with hindsight looks a bit optimistic now. For me the weakness in the pack is killing us, because we do not have the skills in the forwards to make for the lack of shear power so I am reluctantly going lower to 6th.
I believe the six week break needs to be used not as a rest period but as a time to intensively drill the first team into playing the way bByd wants, whatever that is.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:50
Andysaint, you make 'competitive' sound very positive whereas this season so far its negative, 6 teams losing 4 from 6 says it all, its 6 teams competitively fighting their way away from the relegation zone. Its a league that has just 2 teams of any status who can rest players and still win. Yes, there are a couple more who seem to be distant challengers but as for the rest ???. With luck on their side, seems to me that any of the 8 could end up an even more distant 5th or 6th. I moved to N'ton when Leicester and Bath were top of the pops, now Leicester are, unbelievably, one of the 8.

Saint Wilf
Saint Wilf (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 19:21
I am sticking with my original prediction of 10th place which I have copied and pasted below - looks like I nailed it!

"I voted 10th - still too many of the undropables in the frame and still without a proper No 8 and new signings of dubious quality.
Director of rugby zero premiership experience, forwards coach virtually zero experience, defence coach failed last year."

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 19:27
I predicted top 6 and i stick by that.

We have a coach with only a theoretical knowledge of NH rugby, young coaches and a squad that scraped 9th last season.

We're trying to play a style of game that is very different to our previous styles. Boyd also has a squad, the majority of whom were signed by the previous management team.

With our raft of injuries and players playing out of their natural position, we were never going to challenging to top 4.

Given time, our tight heads will get fit and get game time, Franks will be able to play at LH and hopefully our backs will click and they'll be introduced to Taqele.

Still, the season is young, there plenty of time for things to come good. If were still languishing at the bottom of the league at Christmas, then we need to start to get concerned. Until then, lets not panic.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 20:35
I optimistically stated 7th (after saying somewhere between 7th and 9th) so I'll stick with that and just hope !

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 20:35
Having watched 4 matches this weekend where 6 teams were far more intense in their play and execution even although 3 of them got beat I cannot see us getting above 8th this season unless there is a whole new attitude to our games and the mistakes are cut out which completely put us under needless pressure after we have painstaickenly worked our way up the oppositions half only to find ourselves tracking back after silly mistakes. The weather on Saturday was a factor but two teams played and one didnít get to grips with it.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 21:24
I think I went for 7th originally.

Saints scored a raft of points in rounds 2-6 last year, taking 18 points from 5 games to go top after 6 rounds. Therefore, 9th place probably really flattered Saints come season end. The last 18 games yielded a pitiful 25 points. Thats where we came from, not really in the form to justify 9th, more like 11th.

I think we looked better taking 1 win from 3 against Gloucester-Harlequins-Sarries than we did taking 1 win from 3 against much weaker looking opposition in Bath-Bristol-Tigers, but we got 4 points out of the first set of games, and 6 from the second, so may be the outcomes are reflective of quality, and we didn't do better earlier? I'm struggling to see real progress, although the losing margin vs Gloucester remains the highest, so again maybe I'm not seeing what others are.

I could see us stringing a few results together in Euro/Cup contests with the youngsters, but bobbing about the bottom 4 for a while. Biggar & Reinach have got worse not better, scrum not up to much, out of options at centre. I hope we will come good later in the year and make up some places, but not expecting the rest of 2018 to be all that rosy in the Prem.

Other sides will be licking their lips at present after seeing us concede 40 to Bristol and leaking some really weak breaks in the midfield VS Tigers.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 21:57
Head down, here goes. I predicted 9th I think and I certainly see us no higher. I'd love to be proved wrong. I see us potentially below Wuss who walloped Bristol. Falcons should improve and st present I only see Sale and Bristol as being worse than us sadly. For me I'll be relieved at being no lower than 9th. At that stage hopefully the playing staff will see further changes which will hopefully strengthen areas obvious to most on here. IMO top 6 is fantasy this season.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 22:07
Spot on post by the way Corkst.
I thought (amd posted pretty much the same some time ago) that tjis is a big project for Boyd and patience is key. I went for 7th to 9th this season, 5th or 6th next and just poking our noses into top 4 the season after. If Boyd achieves that I will be delighted ..... realism not negative thoughts I like to think.
In the meantime Boyd needs a big overhaul of players still : those he will no doubt be astounded by for the lack of vision and handling skills compared to what he is used to !
COYS

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 00:35
I still think weíll be middle third this season, but given the pack of 10 clubs behind Sarries and Exe taking points off each other left right and centre a play off spot still feasible.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 07:01
I predicted 9th because:

- our scrum hadn't been addressed
- it takes time for a even a top new coach to bed in
- our fitness

So 9th still for me.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 13:11
I think we are over performing with Boyd so far, given that we have a weak front row and no number 8.

If you put a Billy, Mako and cole into out team I think we would be a top 4 team, that is where we are weak (maybe a centre)

With saying this I am not knocking T, Waller, Franks but IMHO we need some more beef for when the weather gets bad as there are going to be a lot of knock-ons and therefore scrums and we give a@#$%&ton of points and territory away from them.

The attack will come together given time and Boyd bringing in people to fit his system.

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 14:09
Think I predicted 8th and I will stick with that for now - hope we will be much higher of course!

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 13:18
Can't remember where I predicted we would finish but based on the season so far I would say bottom 4. The pre-Christmas games will determine whether we tread water or end up flirting with relegation.

Scooby Saint COYS
Scooby Saint COYS (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 10:31
I didn't originally post a prediction, so hope you don't mind me commenting now.

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd finish 7th, narrowly missing out on top 6, but showing improved performances and results.

I'm inclined to lower my prediction to 9th now. Status quo in league position, but with improving performances.

Not because we're performing significantly differently to how I thought we would be- on the whole I think performances are improved and improving. Some areas clearly need work, but fundamentally we've been 'in' every game.

Rather it's because I underestimated the positive improvements that other teams would make (e.g. Gustard starting to shore up Harlequins' defence, Worcester looking dangerous, Bristol regularly picking up bonus points). There really aren't any games now where I'd think "we'll definitely beat them."

Admittedly it will be interesting to see whether we get a bit of a boost from not playing at the top-table in European competitions, and therefore having more of an option to rest players, target league games in terms of training/preparation, etc.

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 21:46
I predicted fourth and at the minute that does look optimistic, especially given our continuing woes in the scrum. We can certainly still do it and I expect us to improve over the season as Boyd and co are given time to sort out the mess they inherited, however I did expect us to be on more like 12-15 points at this stage of the season.

We do look better generally - last Saturday aside - however we need to start picking up points even when we do lose. Without wishing to be too fickle, I'll downgrade the prediction to 5th/6th.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 08:50
Quote:
St Marcus
I predicted fourth and at the minute that does look optimistic, especially given our continuing woes in the scrum. We can certainly still do it and I expect us to improve over the season as Boyd and co are given time to sort out the mess they inherited, however I did expect us to be on more like 12-15 points at this stage of the season.
We do look better generally - last Saturday aside - however we need to start picking up points even when we do lose. Without wishing to be too fickle, I'll downgrade the prediction to 5th/6th.

I don't think you're being fickle and you're entitled to your view and to change it. I dream of 5th/6th but can't see anything like that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net