rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Walks11
Rugby Paper
Walks11 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 08:38
Fekitoa now heading to Wasps over us.

Interestingly in the Wade NFL piece, they have stated both Wade and Courts were wanted by the NFL 3 years ago. Re-signing him is significant as am sure there would have been a lot of interest home and abroad

St Marcus
Re: Rugby Paper
St Marcus (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 09:19
Shame about Fekitoa, however I view prop and number 8 as the main priorities signings wise and would rather we spent big on those positions.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 09:27
Itís not a shame. Fekitoa isnít that good, Laumape is much better... hence why heís in the AB squad

Fissler will mention Laumape next week or the week after, he got the wrong kiwi

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 10:26
Is a 13 really a priority signing though? I've been impressed with the way Kellaway has slotted in there. We have some very promising youngsters in the centres as well as Burrell and Symons not to mention Harry who can drop in there if necessary.

As has been mentioned many times, money would be better spent on prop(s), number 8 and maybe another FB - though we do have Worley and Emery coming through.

HungryLikeTheWolf
21 October, 2018 11:32
Depends on what is available

Happy for like for like change with Horne, Burrell will be off end of the year

Sometimes recruitment has a rotation lag because of contracts

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 12:28
Quote:
ElySaint
Is a 13 really a priority signing though? I've been impressed with the way Kellaway has slotted in there. We have some very promising youngsters in the centres as well as Burrell and Symons not to mention Harry who can drop in there if necessary.
As has been mentioned many times, money would be better spent on prop(s), number 8 and maybe another FB - though we do have Worley and Emery coming through.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Canít it be all 3. Because the 13 recruitment is making the news that also doesnít mean we arenít actively recruiting in the areas you mention.

I think we do need to recruit in this area, we may have candidates but no-one has put their hand up yet.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 13:01
Take your point Walks, and I'm sure the club are working to strengthen in areas where it is needed across the pitch. Personally I think if we're going to look to spend big money (and Fekitoa would be presumably) then I would, rather see a that spent on a very good prop or two. I feel we're well stacked in the centres.

Wouldn't adding another centre to the sqaud decrease the likelihood of developing / game time for Strachan / Dingwall / Hutchinson. They can't put there hand up if they don't get chances. It's a tough one to balance for sure.

I've also no idea about the time left on contracts at the club, which would play a big part in recruitment targets as well I imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2018 13:03 by ElySaint.

HungryLikeTheWolf
21 October, 2018 13:10
I donít think we are stacked with quality at centre.

Would I rather an All Black centre or hope one of our young lads who look good in reserve rugby step up? All Black please.

Does this mean we canít let 3 props go at the end of the season and in turn sign 2 quality props? I donít think so.... how many top level props are available mid season? Not many

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 14:06
Not sure anyone was suggesting we take someone on mid-season WP.

Again, I take your point, though I don't agree with you. I think we have enough at centre. Obviously if Burrell is off then I suppose that frees up some cap.

It will be really fascinating to see how the squad develops over the next two years - and I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion about it. Interesting times ahead.

HungryLikeTheWolf
21 October, 2018 14:32
what would you say if Laumape came before Xmas ?

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 15:13
Quote:
Wilson Pickett

I'd question how we might afford it. He signed a two year deal with Hurricanes in July 2017 so we'd need to buy one year out of it.

Hypothetically, yes, of course he'd add to our midfield though. But if it was at the cost of securing more quality upfront I'd really question the recruitment choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2018 15:16 by ElySaint.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 15:35
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
I'd say sack Fissler & give you the job...

craig84
craig84 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 15:39
How is Will Davis looking in the wandies?
He had a reputation as a good scrummager but he hasn't had a chance in the first team position that we are struggling in?

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 19:08
Quote:
ElySaint
Not sure anyone was suggesting we take someone on mid-season WP.
Again, I take your point, though I don't agree with you. I think we have enough at centre. Obviously if Burrell is off then I suppose that frees up some cap.

It will be really fascinating to see how the squad develops over the next two years - and I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion about it. Interesting times ahead.

I think we will see another significant clearout at the end of this season. We are halfway through an overhaul and may see some that have been around for a while not renewed.

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 19:28
Whats the point of world class backs if the Forwards/No9 can't create quick ball?

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:31
Quote:
John Rickerd
Whats the point of world class backs if the Forwards/No9 can't create quick ball?

Agreed. A quality forwards platform buys the time for average backs to do more. You never get the equivalent in credit from quality backs behind struggling forwards.

HungryLikeTheWolf
21 October, 2018 20:33
John

no-one is suggesting ďdonít sign forwards because we are going to sign a centreĒ

I am saying if a world class back is available mid season, and we can afford him, then do it.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 22:48
Saints 100% need a 13.

We need a centre that is going too give us gainline ball.
Too consistently get good results in rugby you consistently need to be able too create front foot ball.

I see Kellaway moving too the wing personally, with the ability too come looking for the ball,, maybe a little in the mould of Jack Nowell.
We have settled on a play making axis at 10/12.
So we need a 13 who gets us going forward.

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 15:58
My worry is that you could demotivate a class 13 whilst we can't generate quick ball. I think Dan Biggar is close to that. I do understand he does flap his arms a lot but not without good cause IMO.

HungryLikeTheWolf
22 October, 2018 16:44
These are world level professionals getting good money.

Iím pretty sure he would be fine, Iím also sure that Danís mental fortitude is one of his greatest strengths. He knows our strengths and weaknesses and Iím sure will be trusting Boyd to address those weaknesses.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 09:02
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
These are world level professionals getting good money.
Iím pretty sure he would be fine, Iím also sure that Danís mental fortitude is one of his greatest strengths. He knows our strengths and weaknesses and Iím sure will be trusting Boyd to address those weaknesses.

And you would hope telling him so. Would expect there to be dialogue between head coach and senior players as to how we aim to address weaknesses short and long term

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net