rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Nath-coys
Harry Mallinder
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 05:43
Just thinking about Harry Mallinder and all his bags of potential and ability.

But there is always something nagging me that he's not going to quite realise it.
I just feel there is always something in reserve, like he doesn't fully back himself.
Not sure if it is mental or physical.

When he does back himself he is top draw, I remember that break against Exeter where he got on the outside of Nowell and swatted him away with a quality hand off.
Nowell is a top class International defender....

Harry is a young guy, whose gone through a lot in his short career too date.
And this latest injury set back for him must of been hard too take.

I wonder after he is recovered which will probably be right at the end of the season, sending him abroad might be a option.
To New Zealand say too play some Mitre 10, see what there skill sets are like.
And more importantly see how they are so decisive in what they do.
Get some game time,,refresh himself mentally and physically and come back ready to rock and roll......

NobbyClarke
Re: Harry Mallinder
NobbyClarke (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 08:11
Agreed with your assessment of his potential; and when he is on his game he is a tremendous asset for the club. Now he has nailed down where he wants to be I think he is really going to progress quickly into the player we all hope for! Injuries permitting!!

No problem with him taking some time in SH as that would probably accelerate his learning, having Chris Boyd here is not going to do him any harm either.

Don't share your niggle that he may not make it, but no problems with disagreeing, just hope I am right.

Am sure we all wish him a speedy recovery and to get back on the horse and nail down the starting 15 slot.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 08:14
Agree with both assessments but do worry that he is injury prone. Hopefully that will go away as he gets older but for James Craig it hasn't - some players do suffer from that all through their careers.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 11:09
Injuries are unfortunate and of course I feel tremendous sympathy for Harry. He is a skillful player and should have broken through and be beginning to make his mark. I am concerned about some players and the injury records as with a salary cap in place we cannot afford too many players playing few games a season. For Harry though he has time on his side.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 12:36
the idea of sending players abroad is a great idea.

not only in terms of experiencing a different brand of rugby but also for developing our players (especially the younger ones) as people.
Rugby isn't the kind of profession where it's easy to take a gap year and travel the world, so a link with a SH side would be ideal.

I know Quins have some sort of link with New Zealand, but with Boyd here now, we should be able to set up some sort of link.

Perhaps, as part of the Academy, some sort of Rugby Residential program could be arranged. Some of our players go to a Mitre 10 club and we take some of theirs for a period. with the currently staggered seasons, going during the off seasons would be ideal... a bit like when TC and Tom Stephenson went to Randwick.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:35
He needs to nail his colours to the mast about position and needs a decent run in that position. His longest run of games has probably been at 10.. which he is def. not

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 00:33
More importantly 'Walks' he has to improve his defence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net