09 November, 2018 18:40
Franks out.
Very strong wind blowing and rain. Ideal conditions 😢

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Saint Ted
Re: Glaws vs Saints
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:35
I can't do a proper link from my phone, but this tweet from Tom Vickers shows how bad conditions are for those not watching

[twitter.com]

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:42
Rubbish decision clear knock on by twelve trees in the tackle but still gave the ball away for a run in by bananamn

Saintfanharry
Saintfanh (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:44
Agreed looked fairly clear to me especially when you look at how the ball trajectory changed

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:45
The last angle looked like a knock on but TMO very subservient therefore Glaws try.

TimperleySaint
TimperleySaint (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:46
It seemed pretty clear and obvious to me! No idea what the refs were looking at. We're playing really well.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:50
Thought 36 was a mile off for the try. Shame had most of game but losing. Our defence has been good and great to see us competitive. Against the wind may be difficult

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:55
This ref is a joke. Knock on, forward pass and crooked line rules donít seem to apply to glos

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:55
Paul Hill stupidity. Yellow because the Glaws player hadnít gone 3 metres before he puts the tackle in after they take quick penalty.

Saintfanharry
Saintfanh (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:56
Certainly doesn't seem to like us today! We need to get hold of possession and hold onto it for abit again.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 19:58
The shot the TMO replayed over and over wasnít clear and obvious. Not sure that the third one was either, but it looked more likely to show one way or another.

Not having much luck tonight. Two injuries in half and hour, one of which caused play to be stopped just as it looked we were about to go over for a try.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:13
No doubt to my mind it was a knock on

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:19
The direction of the ball changed and it wasnít the wind!

Time for Grayson to step up and take control of the second half against the wind which means not trying to boot balls for distance but for territory

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:44
Quote:
JohnI
The direction of the ball changed and it wasnít the wind!
Time for Grayson to step up and take control of the second half against the wind which means not trying to boot balls for distance but for territory

No real sign of that

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:46
We need more from Taqele Naiyaravoro. By my count he's touched the ball 2 maybe 3 times all game? We need more from him than just standing on the wing.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:48
Collins has just taken a blow to the head too. Playing on, but someone get on the phone to James Wilson, yeah?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:48
Saints seem unusually prone to all sorts of injuries this season - not all due to contact - is there an underlying reason to do with conditioning ?

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:52
Not sure todayís injuries are much to do with conditioning though. Francis took a boot (accidentally) to the head, Mikey H had someone land on his leg, and Collins was a clash competing for the high ball.

Agree about Taqele - but why canít he be moved infield for some of our set pieces to punch holes?

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
Cmon ref look at the Gloucester players changing their bind and moving around the maul

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
The two injuries tonight were from an accidental boot to the head and someone falling on Mikey. I'm not sure that conditioning would have made any difference to either.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:54
I didn't say it would - I was being general.

We must stop coughing the ball up - we are having so little possession

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:55
Need to get discipline sorted kicking ball away at a penalty gains them 10 metres and the ref getting his back up

tboullem
09 November, 2018 20:57
So how long has Topsy been a Gloucester fan ?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:59
Has Taqele touched the ball tonight ?

Saintfanharry
Saintfanh (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:59
Very bizarre commentating. Its gets knocked on anyway afterwards whereas ours which they dismissed led to a Gloucester try!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:00
We seem bent on suicide !

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:10
Shame the TMO wasnít as attentive about Gloucesterís first try! That second one IS clear and obvious.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:11
Kind of inevitable outcome but Glaws deserved it - did well to get a LBP in the end

Saintly Pursuit
09 November, 2018 21:14
I'm not sure Gloucester deserved it. Our youngsters played well aganst a much more experienced side and IMO Gloucester were lucky with some decisions.

Saintfanharry
Saintfanh (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:15
Pretty inconsistent display by referee and TMO. Defence was fantastic, shame we couldn't hold onto the ball a bit better. T definitely needs to get more involved and work on his defence - keeps getting drawn in on the wing. Some real positives and grit overall though and great performances from Reinach and wood in particular.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:17
Interesting how we view things so differently. I thought that was the most positive performance I have seen in about 2 years. Massive Heart, Pride and Passion.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:18
Apart from determined defence not a lot to be positive about. Gave the ball away far too much and couldn't capitalise on the little possession we had - sound familiar ? Add to that two more bad injuries. Glaws weren't particularly good but still won.

Harry the Dog
Harry the Dog (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:22
One of the worst refereeing performances Iíve seen in a long time, compounded by our inability to keep the ball

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:22
Leaves us top of our group with a home game to come against tigers who are well out of the competition with 0 points, pretty good position to be in all things considered

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:25
True but the performance tonight was not very good.Conditions like that really don't suit our game but they don't suit Glaws either

Saintly Pursuit
09 November, 2018 21:31
The defence was very good. Last year people were moaning about it but it has certainly improved.

There were two skillful and well executed tries.

Our scrum had parity and Gloucster's pack were not kids - I think that there were two scrum penalities each.

We managed to involve just about everyone on a night where the weather conditions were not really conducive to that sort of game.

Wood looks to be coming back into form. Grayson was impressive both in the game management and his defence. To stop a big back rower takes some guts. Collins had his best game for a while and, now he has had some game time, seems to be a little more confident.

Things are definately going in the right direction.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:32
Quote:
fleetg
Interesting how we view things so differently. I thought that was the most positive performance I have seen in about 2 years. Massive Heart, Pride and Passion.

Me too..

Some think itís an easy game with a bar of soap with wind and rain.. hey ho, they must have been some players

tboullem
09 November, 2018 21:37
Why take Reinach off when he was on top of his game. Just because you have eight replacements does not mean you have to use them all.

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:38
Hill, Waller, Davis and Garside can scrummage. Moon and Ludlam look at home in the Saints first team.

Massive shift in defence playing for each other and the badge by the whole team.

It was a disappointing end but going in the right direction over all.

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:39
Tedge, I think that is very harsh. For me that was a pretty good showing away at Glaws against a more experienced starting XV. The conditions were terrible so it was always going to be pretty error strewn. Was in particular really pleased with our defence and thought we were unlucky not to earn more penalties at the breakdown.The officials tonight were dreadful, we got absolutely nothing from them - only one side was being refereed for large portions of that match. I'm proud of that effort and am encouraged from our showings in the last four matches.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:45
When I looked and compared the experience of the 2 teams, I predicted a Glaws win by 15 points. We very nearly had them there. Conditions were awful but I honestly felt more positive after 82ish! minutes than I have for ages.
- great experience for a number of younger players
- more Heart, Pride and passion than I can recall for some time.
- players not scared to try a few things without fear.
- half the penalty count than earlier in the season under plenty of second half pressure.
- camaradarie : players were visibly more vocal and encouraging.

Frankly, it felt like a team tonight.

I always had faith that Boyd and team will get us back towards the top ; I just think it will take 3 years. Tonight for me was the real starting point of that upwards trajectory.
COYS

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:49
Well I am glad I went and witnessed a REALLY good performance by Saints!
I thought our defence was really good. The team played throughout and were a tad unlucky at the end only one high tackle and that was in the last minute leading to their try. They had to take the convention again. Not sure why
I think we are still top and deservedly so. Will have a beer or two with glaws lot who know they were lucky.
😇

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:50
Overall that was definitely a gutsy performance from saints against a far more experienced team and some very dubious referee decisions made
Hopefully Francis isnít too bad and not having to undergo concussion protocols again and that Mikey hasnít done anything serious

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:17
Given our style of play, the conditions and the experience of both sides, i thought we were brilliant.

A near full strength 3rd place Gloucester team against a struggling saints team littered with academy and guests suggested we would get stuffed. Definately not the case.

The ref made inconsistent and bizarre calls. I still dont get how they didnt collapse our maul at 5mtrs out. Fish had a gloucester SA on his back collapsing him. Hill must have been rusty by some of the pings against him were again inconsistant.

The worse thing was the commentary. So unbelieveably biased! So much gushing over Gloucester. When they did something well, it was inspite of the conditions. When we did, the conditions made it easier for us.

Ultimately, we were robbed! What was it the ref said? "I'm confident it was not a try." End of. No need for TMO comment unless its foul play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 22:19 by Saint Stokey.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:33
Should have won that. Game management again a factor. We work the ball out of the 22 then kick out on full. If we kick that first phase, we win the game imho. Still, reaally positive away and should qualify

white lion
white lion (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:57
I'm glad Saint Stokey mentioned the commentary. I thought it was just me but the praise heaped upon Glawster was quite unjustified. BT have to get a better commentary team together.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 23:11
Quote:
white lion
I'm glad Saint Stokey mentioned the commentary. I thought it was just me but the praise heaped upon Glawster was quite unjustified. BT have to get a better commentary team together.

To be fair, I find BT's coverage better than the rest. Biased at times yes and they could easily go away from ex club pro's covering their old sides, but I think they purposely do this (dayglo with wasps). Not sure how anyone could heap much praise on glos tonight though. Thought one side tried to play some rugby and lost through some naivety near the end. Glos only looked half interested in doing anything with the ball second half, barring us gifting them a try in the first. We also missed 5 straight forward points through kicks. Its been a decent competition for our young players and I'm looking forward to the next round (all being well).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 23:14 by herbie85.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 23:13
The bit that amazed me was following the commentators waxing lyrical over jaco kriel, we were told about how reinachs dad died. Really odd.

One saving grace was that Cipriani wasnt playing!

As for the youngsters, i would not be overly concerned to see Dingwall or Furbank in the Premiership

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 23:15 by Saint Stokey.

Saintlyg
Saintlyg (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 06:36
Why was 35 allowed to start his conversion again. He quite clearly started his run up so Saint were in their right to challenge the kick(er). The ref got that wrong (for the umpteenth time during the game mostly against us) as he did with the know on by 36 that led to their first try. My Glos mate was very quite when I said about that,

Overall a very good display by Saints and with dryer conditions and a better sir, who know. Tom Wood was back to his best. Praise also has to go to young Garside, the Ampthill player guesting for us. Would be a good acquisition. Overall a very encouraging display. Keep it up boys.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 06:39 by Saintlyg.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 07:50
I thought that about the last convention However I didnít see a knock on on the big screen that the ref was watching nor did the TMO

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 07:53
Quote:
Saintlyg
Overall a very good display by Saints and with dryer conditions and a better sir, who know.

Totally agree with you on this. However, the weather and the competence of the referee are two variables that we have no control over. I wonder if we're not able to adapt well enough to these external factors when they don't suit us. We've heard a couple of times this season that bad weather has stifled our playing style. Well, we need to be able to play the conditions. It is a sport played over the winter, after all, and conditions won't suit our style every week. Just a thought.

StGonne
StGonne (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 09:28
I actually felt we were the better side last night and am proud of the performance.

Sadly 5 points left on the pitch as a result of dodgy goal kicking (weather was horrendous) and a try being given after a clear knock on did it for us. Lots to take forward in to next week.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 10:38
The wind was terrible at times . It made Grayson two missed kicks quite difficult and took Mitchell's box kick out.

Having got home and seen the TMO given try , it's pretty obvious from the flight of the ball and Reinach's arms that something has diverted it. The referee says onside because Reinach has dragged it back. New one on me . Is he right?

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 11:34
It depends how the ball was handled, and I can't remember right now, if Cobus has rolled the ball back before picking it up, when the ball is rolled back then twelvetrees was fine to go, but as I can't remember what happened exactly I can't really comment

However if he's hit the ball in flight, regardless it's a knock on, I've only seen it in the background on tv so don't really know.

This post is pointless

Joe Davison
10 November, 2018 13:33
Wasnít twelvetrees leaning on the ruck? In which case heís part of the ruck and offside in the first place?

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 13:41
Have watched it again now I am back up North.
The knock on in the first try can be seen as the ball starts to turn when Billy touches it.

On the final scrum that they opted for as a penalty again I thought there was a knock on at the back of the scrum by there scrum half. He went to pick it up clearly touched the ball and then dropped it forward. Mitchell made some talk to the ref who said it wasn't out. Didn't think that mattered if it went forward of a hand.

Billy clearly moved toward the ball for the convertion ref just said go back.

Still we lost but was an excellent defence game and something to be pleased about. Lets hope we get five points against tiggers.
(Sm128)

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 18:10
[www.northamptonchron.co.uk]

Looking at the clip in this the ball leaves Reinach hand and ends up going towards the ground in a matter of yards, not the normal flight expected without him touching it.

However the try wasnt as ďa result of thatĒ because Grayson picked the ball up successfully and gave the pass out that Gloucester scored from the try from. Yes the ref got it wrong but we sealed our own fate by that pass

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net