rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

ancient mariner
'Significant number' of Saints contracts to be announced
ancient mariner (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 11:13
Looks as if Boyd has worked out who he want to keep and maybe we'll near some new names from overseas as he is happy we already have the English qualified players for the Premiership.

Link here

saintsfella
Re: 'Significant number' of Saints contracts to be announced
saintsfella (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 06:58
With the ‘people who put the team first’ comment I couldn’t help but feel like this was a dig at Haskell. Probs reading too much into it.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 09:03
Please show your workings.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 09:22
I'm sure there was a post a while back showing how long people hand left on their contract, would be interesting to see if anyone can dig it out.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 16:20
However he comes across in the media the consensus seems to be that Haskell is a good team guy, the younger guys at Wasps were certainly full of praise in terms of his additional work with them. I can't see him being retained due to age and some great young prospects in the back row but I very much doubt he's not seen as a team player.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 16:32
I think that they should look at value for money in terms of contracts. If Haskell is on a one year based on what I've seen and how often he has played then he should not be renewed. There are others who, in my opinion don't give value for money as they don't play and don't really appear to provide much in the way of cover. It's a shame if this is because of injury, however really there's not too much room for sentiment either. We need to recruit smart in my opinion. That would make a change for me as I don't feel we've done that for a good many seasons now.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 16:55
The value for money is both a good and interesting argument. Would you consider Biggar value for money? Him vs someone like Gibson/Harrison, international quality but available all year.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 17:19
If value for money is the criteria I find it very difficult to establish the metrics as I have no idea on the Money variable (due to not really knowing how much each player is payed) and only an opinion on the Value variable (as I do not see the day to day value of a player so can only see their on pitch value to assess).

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 19:28
Quote:
Saintly Pursuit
If value for money is the criteria I find it very difficult to establish the metrics as I have no idea on the Money variable (due to not really knowing how much each player is payed) and only an opinion on the Value variable (as I do not see the day to day value of a player so can only see their on pitch value to assess).

Take James Craig as an example. Cruelly affected by injuries and probably not mega expensive but he just doesn't seem to be able to play, or, every time he does he's out again for more long periods. Surely this can't carry on? Haskell is another example for differing reasons. Is Biggar value for money? I'm not sure he is to be honest. It depends on how often he plays when he's not playing for Wales. Look at Saints in the Prem. Which players are constantly lauded, always there and seem to perform consistently well. One such player over the years has been Mike Hayward. Others have Ben Mooj, Jimmy Downey, Roger Wilson plus others. Great value for money in my opinion. I'm sure there are other examples. Contract renewal time, for me is when the most difficult questions need to be asked and the most difficult decisions have to be made.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:04
But how can you assert that X is value for money when you don't know how much they are paid? I would be guessing and I suspect you would be as well.

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 21:15
I assumed that James Haskell joined on a one year contract in the hope of getting back in the England team for the World Cup.

We get an experienced, quality player for a year and he gets a shot at England.

It seems a reasonable deal for both.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 21:15
Also, what is considered good value? Is harry good value? He'll be paid a fair amount but isnt playing, likewise Symonds.

Haskell may not be offering on the pitch at the moment. But his value could be in his mentoring of young players, commitment and attitude to training and processes or simply in the galvanising of the team.

Unless youre thoroughly integrated into the side, we have no idea how to determine value for money.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 08:13
Quote:
Saint Stokey
Also, what is considered good value? Is harry good value? He'll be paid a fair amount but isnt playing, likewise Symonds.
Haskell may not be offering on the pitch at the moment. But his value could be in his mentoring of young players, commitment and attitude to training and processes or simply in the galvanising of the team.

Unless youre thoroughly integrated into the side, we have no idea how to determine value for money.

As I understand it, if an injury is more than a 12 week recovery time, it's covered by insurance, so value for money doesn't come into so much on the long term injuries

Where you get less value is players who get repeated 2/3 week layoffs and bans

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 13:47
We have no idea what contract Haskell or anyone is on. It may be he is on a 'play and pay' deal - in which case he is costing us very little in monetary termsm the real painpoint here is that it means less rotation in the back row for a long stretch of games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net