rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

fair_weather_fan
I thought there were some internationals played this weekend
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 20:49
With a multitude of things to discuss, where is everyone?

Was Wales Australia the worst international in recorded history?

Is Jamie George the best lineout thrower in Barnet? Would he recognise Courtney Lawes if he bumped into him in Waitrose?

Why dont we forget about offside, or just enforce it when its important?

or Hold a poll as to how long it will be before a TMO screws up a world cup final

Endlessly discuss what clear and obvious means

When a player is simply lying on the ground near a ruck, are they part of the ruck? Only when you're Steve Hansen. Discuss.

Duckonstilts
Re: I thought there were some internationals played this weekend
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 21:57
AIs are not important to most people. Nice day out and all but they mean nothing.

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 22:03
Odd decision to take Dylan off at 1/2 time unless he was injured.
Courtney performed well at 6.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 22:05
Find it difficult to get excited about England games when I can't see them easily on TV. Ditto the Lions.

More interested in the Welsh and Scots, whose games I generally am able to watch.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 22:51
Quote:
Scrummy
Odd decision to take Dylan off at 1/2 time unless he was injured.
Courtney performed well at 6.
Eddie reckoned Dylan had an injured thumb all week. Or was that his cover up for a strategic blunder?

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 07:50
I am so disappointed some of us on this board are so niggardly and parochial.
The aim of any professional player is surely to play for his country and we were lucky enough to have two of our current legends playing on Saturday. Ask them if they are not bothered about Internationals.

I was there and the atmosphere was electric - both of our Saints were excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 07:51 by St_Bart.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 08:50
Glad you had a good time St Bart.

I think its hard for any fan to maintain enthusiasm at the same level all the time. I am always engaged with the 6nations. Usually watching all the matches no matter which two teams are playing. World cups are a bit easier as they happen every 4 years.

Even watching the Saints can be hard. Some years i will fight any kind of weather to see the boys and some years I might miss a few games if its a bit difficult.

I actually made an effort to get to town and watch this match, not because I was inspired by the two teams but because we wanted to see some friends. The match was ok. The first 20 were very good by England. Both teams were very good but when we lost I was not bothered because it means nothing beyond 80mins of entertainment.

As for the Rugby. Lawes is great. He should start every match for me.
England have a problem at Hooker, We need solid backup to Dylan but that will only happen if they play more matches to build confidence. To do that you have to drop one of our best players. If we dont though and Dylan gets a long injury/ban/retires we are in the poop.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 11:09
Quote:
Duckonstilts
England have a problem at Hooker, We need solid backup to Dylan but that will only happen if they play more matches to build confidence. To do that you have to drop one of our best players. If we dont though and Dylan gets a long injury/ban/retires we are in the poop.

I think England already have 3 decent back up hookers if Dylan is absent for a while. Jamie George for one. I don't think it is fair to blame him for all the lost lineouts. Whoever was calling the lineout has to take some of the flack for continually going to Itoje, especially when Lawes was on the field. Just too easy for the ABs to workout where the ball was going in order to get up in front of our catcher

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 11:18
Quote:
Saint Robert
Quote:
Duckonstilts

I think England already have 3 decent back up hookers if Dylan is absent for a while. Jamie George for one. I don't think it is fair to blame him for all the lost lineouts. Whoever was calling the lineout has to take some of the flack for continually going to Itoje, especially when Lawes was on the field. Just too easy for the ABs to workout where the ball was going in order to get up in front of our catcher

That is nearly word for word what I was saying on Saturday.

I don't know what George could do about it, he wasn't missing his target as such, it's just that the target kept remaining the same and there was an all black in it!

Whoever was calling the lineout needs to be shouldering the blame for that

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 12:05
I'm not blaming George, I just get the feeling if he had 20 more caps he would be a more reliable replacement. I doubt Dylan would have said yes to chucking the same ball time after time.

Beef
Beef (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 12:09
Personaly, I think JG throws the ball in too flat, making it easier to pick off - a bit more of a loop required?

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/991152054167.gif

Terrace 'B' next to Mav, Shaddo, AB, Jeremy and Spud.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 12:34
Quote:
Duckonstilts
I'm not blaming George, I just get the feeling if he had 20 more caps he would be a more reliable replacement. I doubt Dylan would have said yes to chucking the same ball time after time.

I get what you're saying and agree, got to admit I don't know who was calling the lineout, but after the first couple of attempts they should have tried a different tactic, throwing Courtney up at 1 may not have been the best idea for building an attack on but it would have meant keeping the ball!

Quote:
Beef
Personaly, I think JG throws the ball in too flat, making it easier to pick off - a bit more of a loop required?

I did think that, but I don't think Itoje was getting enough height so not sure how much of a difference it would have made

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 13:01
Our line out was 100% in the first half. Dylan replaced for whatever reason. Stuart Barnes said thatís the end of Dylan as captain. Jamie George comes on and the line out goes ***s up and he blames the line out collective - which may be true - but if Jamie canít find Maro - his own club colleague ............. and where was the on field leadership from the captain. Never mind who was calling the line but surely he should have intervened. SB quick to point the finger at Dylan and single him out critically but canít be a Saracens to blame.

taffman
taffman (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 13:18
The Wales game was a nailbiter, absolutely enthralling watching 2 teams with superb defences, negating each others attacks. Both sides tried everything to break the deadlock, some great line breaks matched with fantastic last ditch tackles.

A wonderful match to watch, it was a privilege to be there to witness a great occasion! Celebrations went long into the night! The journey home to northamptonshire, on Sunday was made all the better listening to the English supporter whingers complaining "they wuz robbed!" ...

One thing is for sure, the standard between Northern and Southern hemisphere teams is closing rapidly. Next years world cup is going to be a cracker for sure!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 13:21
Quote:
Beef

I agree the AB's do their homework, they had quite a lot of front jumpers.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 16:15
It's behind a paywall (you can get two articles a month for free) but worth reading Ben Kay's analysis of England's second half line-out woes as he should know! A combination of NZ intelligence and weak reffing is his diagnosis - however for me there is an element of captaincy there, change the lineout or change the tactics entirely. To the credit of JG and whoever was calling at that stage, they did get better after the first steal.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 17:15
I suspect Dylan will get a weekend off this weekend but which hooker will Eddie choose to start ?

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 19:08
IT seems a bit strange posting a link to another subject on this forum. but....

here

I have to wonder if it is really worth getting irritated by difference of opinion over rugby?

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 21:06
Disappointed that Wales beat Australia : still it was about time I guess having taken loss after loss after loss.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net