rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

HungryLikeTheWolf
Frankie signs on
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:04
Francois Van Wyk signed on until 2021

He has taken his chance and improved massively this year. Well done that man.

Walks11
Re: Frankie signs on
Walks11 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:58
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Francois Van Wyk signed on until 2021
He has taken his chance and improved massively this year. Well done that man.

I find this situation odd in that he was very much seen as 3rd, 4th choice or even no choice by Jim et al and yet he has become first choice currently.

He has done well this season with game time so good on him for securing a new contract

HungryLikeTheWolf
11 February, 2019 14:24
“Player with talent improves under world class coach”

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 14:41
He also had a few injuries early on I seem to remember?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 14:42
The question i have is, are we adjusting scrum tactics based on the players we have or are the players we have better suited to the tactics we now choose?

Looks like Boyd prefers the scrum to be used only for restarting the game. Fine by me as long as we can keep parity.

I could never understand why under Jim and West we switched to athletic forwards but continued with fat boy tactics. Always seemed like we had a disconnect.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:30
Good news. He certainly seems to have stepped up a gear this season. Indeed, the scrum has improved of late with Francois as a starter.
Hopefully more to come from him in the coming seasons.

WP - I assume you refer to Boyd when you talk of a world class coach? But credit must go to Dowson and Ferguson as well when talking of forwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 15:31 by ElySaint.

Sir Hector
Sir Hector (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:42
Good to see the management rewarding performance with contracts. I do have a nagging doubt that with all of the youth coming through and establishing their first XIV credentials, we’ll need to provide opportunities for them. That means some of the older squad members making way. Who’s contract is up and who do we think is likely to be moving on anyway?
Loose head is possibly the most discussed position in the squad, we seem to have quantity rather than quality whereas at tighthead we’re just short of numbers. I’d like to see Toby Trinder on the park, he was a handy pairing with Ehren for the Eng U20s.
We seem well stocked at hooker with 5 in the squad, one too many? I’d rather the club made the choice/decision rather than wait for the frustrated up and coming to move on themselves!
We seem well covered at lock with Moon moving up and Coles in the pipeline. Dom Barrow looks a handy second string, I suspect it’s time for Jimmy Craig to give up playing and move into full time coaching. For a player of his ability to have yet to reach 50 appearances in nearly a decade tells you more than enough about his injury history.
In the back row we have a handful of youngsters who need to get some game time and some old heads likely to be moving on. Is Brüssow on a 1 year contract? And the Hask? Woodies best years are behind him but we need to keep some continuity so I’d hope he will be around for another season or two.
Our halfback pairings are sorted in my view, but we need to make sure we don’t loose lads of the quality of Dingwall, Hutchinson, Mallinder, Furbank, Collins in the backs. We’ve seen little of Symons to justify retaining him and I think Luther is in his twilight years as a first choice centre, especially with Proctor on the way.
I also think we need to keep the squad numbers in trim. We’ve 53 listed including the senior academy lads, 55 with Proctor and Franks junior, do we need to loose a few? We can always bring players in in a crisis, like Garside from Ampthill, he certainly didn’t let us down! And anyway, we need to make a bit of headroom for Mr Boyd to work with post World Cup!
Thoughts?

HungryLikeTheWolf
11 February, 2019 20:58
Wanderers results suggests our squad is too broad. Albeit we don’t know salaries, I wouldn’t have many guys consistently in the Wanderers who are over the age of 23? Just don’t see the point when this year we’ve demonstrated all of our young guys were ready for first team.

Again on the first team squad it’s impossible to gauge value without knowing wages but I suspect England internationals over the age of 30 who are performing similarly to younger guys would have to convince me why they should stay.

all about value with a cap limit....

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 22:16
Francois has certainly stepped up this season and the scrum looks a little steadier than it did a couple of months ago. As ever there will some hard decisions made before the end of the season as new signings and developing youngsters mean that some players who are not part of the current matchday mix will be on their way. We can all speculate about names; I feel that some big personalities may be amongst the leavers.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 08:24
First of all he is playing his best rugby since he came to saints at present and it is no coincidence that this has come with a run of games in the 1 shirt. It shows that if you are playing well you are rewarded.

However I do have concerns over the quality we possess in the 1 shirt. Would anyone of our loosehead start for a top 6 side in the league? Personally I think improvement is required in that area still.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 09:29
Andy

Its not always about who is the biggest front row forward, its also about technique - Tom Smith was exceptional but not a huge man, ditto Dan Cole. Our scrum has looked more settled recently but for the rest of the season it will be mix and match trying to find the right combination for each set of opposition front rows the Saints will face. Bear in mind that our best hooker is out for the season with Marshall and Fish still finding their feet at the highest level.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 13:51
I agree when people say it’s not just size, it’s technique too. And Tom Smith is a brilliant example. But it must be reminded that the technique has to be PERFECT to negate the loss of size. Otherwise a big average scrummager will always be better than an small average scrummager. Down to sheer weight. There’s a reason they show the pack weights at scrum time. I can’t say any of our props are monsters, nor smaller but masters of the dark arts. We need to pick one route or the other and recruit accordingly. Still think we need a statement signing at prop. Backs are fine.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 14:39
I think the pack weights are a little deceptive.

Firstly, i don't believe they don't take into account the subs/ finishers, who may be larger or smaller than their counterparts. Secondly, as a group, the total weight may be impressive, but in terms of individuals, are they that relevant.

If we had a 20 stone 6 or 7, how much difference would that make to scrum power? It would make a difference to the overall scrum weight for the statos, plus be useful in the breakdown and for carries, but solely in terms of scrummaging, i'm not sure that we can just use the weight as an indication of scrum ability.

LadySaint77
LadySaint77 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 17:20
I'm delighted for him - I think he's been excellent in the second half of the season.

Cuddlez
Cuddlez (IP Logged)
13 February, 2019 21:53
Owen franks is the statement signing at tight head with that inclusion to the tight head position my money is on Ben franks swapping over to loose head.... making it a 3 horse race

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 09:29
1. B Franks/ Waller/ Van Wyk
2. Hartley/ Haywood/ Fish/ Marshall
3. O Franks/ Painter/ Hill/ JFR

Thats not a bad front row. Looks like we may have room in the cap for another LH Academy prospect to make the step up.

Is Trinder LH or TH?

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 10:51
Trinder is a loose head.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 14:09
so the front rows look pretty well balanced in terms of Sheer size in the scrum vs agility in the loose and youth vs experience.

Sir Hector
Sir Hector (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 20:06
1. B Franks/ Waller/ Van Wyk/ Trinder

Sorted then!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 07:20
Quote:
Sir Hector
1. B Franks/ Waller/ Van Wyk/ Trinder

Sorted then!

4/5 Lawes, Ribbans, Barrow, Moon, Ratuniyarawa
6/7/8 Harrison,Ludlam, Wood, Brussow, Gibson and ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net