rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MarchingIn
8 and 9
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:43
Harrison limped off after a few minutes and Reinach was looking in need of a rest. They both started against Tigers and Falcons in the cup as well as being 2 of the least rotated players in the Premiership starting 15.

Something has to give surely before they lose form or pick up niggles?

Since they didn't get a well deserved break in the cup I'd bench or rest them both for the upcoming Premiership home games against Sale & Bath. Mitchell & Eadie are decent players, and will both do a good job, I'd rather see them play into form than Reinach & Harrison run ragged out of it like we did to Waller a couple of years ago.

Thoughts?

Saintly Pursuit
Re: 8 and 9
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:56
Everyone has just had a week off unlike in previous years at this stage.

I have no problem with Mitchell starting but Eadie obviously isn't seen as being good enough otherwise he would have had a lot more games than he has. When he has played for the Wanderers he hasn't made enough of an impact to really put his hand up for selection.

If T is in any way injured then I wouldn't risk him but Wood was more than competent on Saturday and would be my choice.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:58
Premiership remains a priority we are not in a position where we can afford a bad run. We are only 9th and 9 off 12th. Both are key players.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 20:02
Mitchell is class so Iím relaxed with him starting.

Lewis Ludlam played 8 for England U20s.... Iíd have him at 8 with mix of Brussouw/Wood/Gibson on the flanks.

Lewis has good acceleration and obviously experienced in that position at scrum time.

Also, we are a side that keeps the ball in play and ideally keeps possession, so we need 3 backrowers who can get around the pitch like dogs (since we donít have a monster 8).

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 20:02
Not sure Cobus will want to miss out playing against Faf? That match could decide who goes to Japan?
Would think that T is out for Saturday at least and maybe a couple more weeks.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 20:39
Quote:
Saintly Pursuit
Everyone has just had a week off unlike in previous years at this stage.

But a lot of our Premiership rivals first XV have just had the cup games off as well. Conditioning and form are comparative to the competition!

Look at how Irish players are managed and how Sarries rotate. Neither Cobus or T would have had as much game time at Sarries and way less in Ireland & they are better than us for a reason.

Quote:
Saintly Pursuit
I have no problem with Mitchell starting but Eadie obviously isn't seen as being good enough otherwise he would have had a lot more games than he has.

There are other options. Ludlam has played 8 in the A league, Brussow and Haskell can both play there, and Wood. Eadie is a bit under-rated IMO, when called to step up he has played well such as the win at Welford Rd last year when we were so short of uninjured flankers we put him at 8 and switched Harrison to 7.

Quote:
andysaint
Premiership remains a priority we are not in a position where we can afford a bad run.

In that case we should have rested them more in the cup and/or started them off the bench a couple of times.

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Not sure Cobus will want to miss out playing against Faf? That match could decide who goes to Japan?

I am sure he won't. We didn't really do Cobus any favours starting him this week.

Saint For Life
Saint For Life (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 20:47
My understanding is that Tís hamstring felt a bit tight (not pulled ) and taken off almost immediately .good chance he will be ok this weekend . Reinach should def be in 23 and If it was me I would start him . A win this weekend and a Newcastle loss at Bath will start to create a fairly significant gap .

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 21:28
Winning is contagious. So a lot of pluses from using the Challenge Cup and Premiership Cup as a spring board. Plus we are through to a Final.

Sir Hector
Sir Hector (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 22:05
We usually get a bit of an injury up-date from the club at the start of the week so perhaps will hear more on Tís fitness shortly.
Both Mitchel and Reinach are class acts, I donít think it really matters who starts but 60:20 split game time on a week about or who fits the game plan best should be sustainable and keep both on the top of their game. Thatís what competition for places brings at itís best. Itís not as if either of them are in danger of being flogged to death playing 70-80 mins in the front row week in week out!

Just an observation having had time to study both scrum halves in action, Mitchel is so quick to get the ball away from the breakdown/ruck. No wonder Falcons capitulated in the later stages, they were dead on their feet, completely incapable of keeping up with the pace of the play from Mitchel and Grayson. Reinach is slower in his structured play but has so much pace and vision that when the game gets a bit loose he exploits every opportunity ruthlessly. Iíd give Mitchel the first half and Reinach the second if I had to choose.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 00:31
Quote:
Sir Hector
Just an observation having had time to study both scrum halves in action, Mitchel is so quick to get the ball away from the breakdown/ruck. No wonder Falcons capitulated in the later stages, they were dead on their feet, completely incapable of keeping up with the pace of the play from Mitchel and Grayson. Reinach is slower in his structured play but has so much pace and vision that when the game gets a bit loose he exploits every opportunity ruthlessly. Iíd give Mitchel the first half and Reinach the second if I had to choose.

I don't think we are benefiting from the contrast enough. Playing a 9 for 75-80 minutes regularly is flogging them mentally as much as anything. Reinach plays at a high tempo, when he's going to have a brain fart it's usually at 70+ minutes. Mitchell is often sat on the bench after Reinach has slowed down a fraction getting the ball away when an injection of pace in the service is exactly what we need. Also no reason why Mitchell can't or in fact shouldn't start some weeks to use Reinach as an impact player sometimes.

We do miss some opportunity out wide with Reinach and play a narrower game. He is lethal on a break and better at getting the pack running onto passes, but Mitchell gets the fast pass away to the fly half more often when Reinach might pass short and flat to a forward. When Biggar thinks there is something on he's often shouting his head off for the ball, and I suspect Naiyaravoro sees more of the ball with Mitchell at 9. I have been saying that all year but he did actually seem twice as involved with a change at 9 vs Falcons so I'm feeling vindicated.

Cuddlez
Cuddlez (IP Logged)
13 February, 2019 21:58
Rotation, Mitch Eadie should get game time he deserves TH is a great player but everyone needs a rest now TH has hamstring problems...not good

Sir Hector
Sir Hector (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 19:56
Eadieís Never quite delivered on the promise at premiership level. He looked a handy player at Bristol at Championship level, and acquits himself well in Wandies games but gets a little lost in the first team. You see this with players transitioning from club to country, some just fall shy of the required standard whilst other players games kick on with exposure at a higher level. Given that Woodie played pretty well when substituting for T last week why not continue with him. A proven performer who brings captaincy too. The only way to get him and Gibson in the side is to play him at 8, it goes pear-shaped without a proper fetcher/dog at 7 and we have Ludlum for that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net