rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Dragonboy
Wandies
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 21:25
With Worley and Barrow moving on I really do wonder if we are missing a trick by only having a handful of A league games. Surely if there arenít enough teams to mirror the premiership I would have thought all clubs would benefit from more second team rugby even if there was the occasional friendly game thrown in and some games not being competitive A league games?

MESSAGES->author
Re: Wandies
shendy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 21:45
I assume there's a break because of the 6N period and Prem Cup, and that's why they have north & south conferences and therefore fewer games?

ramseysaint
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 21:49
I'm sure I read that the plan is to have a full set of A league fixtures in the future, played on the same day, before or after the first team match.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 22:09
Quote:
shendy
I assume there's a break because of the 6N period and Prem Cup, and that's why they have north & south conferences and therefore fewer games?
Fair point Shendy but we are losing players after a season or two because of lack of game time and whilst we seem to be ok in as much as we havenít lost a Courteney or an Itoje maybe we may wil do if we and other teams donít offer a full season of fixtures.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 09:12
Some clubs, notably Sarries-Bath-Wasps, seem to have vey little time for A league games preferring to concentrate of their expensive first team squads. This is not to say that Sarries in particular have not groomed young players, because they have, but they seem to integrate them into the first team iŮ a manner we had not seen at the Gardens until Cnris Boyd arrived.

I think the idea of an expanded fixture list for A teams is a good one but playing the same day as the first XV has to be a non starter because in reality you would have to have almost fifty players available on the same day.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 14:36
Could we be prevented from entering a side in the Anglo-Irish cup, or whatever it is currently called?

I noted, last time I took any notice of the competition, that the Irish regions had "A" teams in it.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 09:06
Playing on the same day is not much of an issue if you are playing a lot of Academy players. If you just want to play fringe players from the main squad then yes, its a problem.

For me its a tough one. I dont have the time to spend 4 hours at the Rugby on a Saturday right now (wasnt a problem before kids) and Since i moved out of St James I cant get to Monday night games that easy either.

I think leaving it to Mondays is for the best but we do need a full competition and clubs are forced to compete.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 09:24
Quote:
Duckonstilts
Playing on the same day is not much of an issue if you are playing a lot of Academy players. If you just want to play fringe players from the main squad then yes, its a problem.

I think leaving it to Mondays is for the best but we do need a full competition and clubs are forced to compete.

+1

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 09:28
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Duckonstilts

+1

+1 and the Wandies provides a low cost option by which to introduce new supporters to the game. I struggle to see how this could be preserved if games were on the same day as the ď firstĒ team.

St Michael
St Michael (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 17:02
Quote:
Duckonstilts
For me its a tough one. I dont have the time to spend 4 hours at the Rugby on a Saturday right now (wasnt a problem before kids) and Since i moved out of St James I cant get to Monday night games that easy either.

should it be part of the salary cap regulations that you must fulfill your a league fixtures encourage clubs to produce their own players

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net