Rory Hutchinson signs
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:38
Hurrah!

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Rory Hutchinson signs
14 March, 2019 10:41
Northampton Saints can today announce that centre Rory Hutchinson has signed a contract extension with the Club.

The 23-year old, whose form in recent weeks saw him named February’s Gallagher Premiership player of the month, has made 28 appearances to date in Black, Green and Gold since making his debut against Leicester Tigers in 2015.

“I’m learning all the time here from the coaches and a group of really gifted players around me.”

Rory Hutchinson
After recovering from an early-season injury, this term the former Scotland under-20 international has scored three tries in eight starts, and Hutchinson is hopeful he can take his game to a new level with Saints.

“This was a really straightforward decision for me to make and I’m very excited to be staying in Northampton,” he said.

“I’m enjoying my rugby at the moment; obviously I had limited opportunities at the start of the season because of my injury, but I’ve loved playing in recent weeks and I’m certain Franklin’s Gardens is the best place for me to develop even further.

“I’ve worked hard to get to this point and I’m learning all the time here from the coaches and a group of really gifted players around me.

“Sam [Vesty] and Chris [Boyd] in particular have really helped me to move my game forwards; they’ve opened my mind up to what’s possible for me on the pitch, and I’m really confident this squad can achieve a lot over the next few years.”

Born in Cambridge, Hutchinson joined the Saints Academy from Shelford before breaking into the first-team squad in earnest during the 2016/17 season – with his try against Exeter Chiefs on his first Club start winning Northampton’s Try of the Season award.

“He’s a very gifted footballer and works extremely hard to improve all aspects of his game.”

Chris Boyd
Internationally Hutchinson has represented Scotland at both Under-18s and Under-20s level, playing in both the 2014 and 2015 World Rugby Under-20s Championships and Six Nations competitions to become the joint most-capped Scotland Under-20s player ever.

“We are thrilled to have secured Rory’s signature,” added Saints’ director of rugby, Chris Boyd.

“He’s a very gifted footballer and works extremely hard to improve all aspects of his game.

“He was unlucky with injury at the start of this season, but after coming back he’s made a big impact and seeing how he has progressed in recent weeks is really pleasing for us.

“Keeping good young guys like Rory within our squad is really important to us and I’m very happy to see him sign on again.”

saintsby2018
saintsby2018 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:46
Great news Thank you Rory, Mr Boyd and coaching team and I especially like and say Amen to this;

Quote:
Chris Boyd
“Keeping good young guys like Rory within our squad is really important to us and I’m very happy to see him sign on again

2018 The fightback begins COYS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 10:47 by saintsby2018.

expeeler
expeeler (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:51
Less than 12 months ago, I was praying that we would sign new centres. Big names. But my, how times change. Our whole mindset has changed. These lads are an exciting future for the club.

Hutchinson looked like he was (imo) a lightweight Wandies player. Now due to coaches’ faith and vision, he is a seriously improved and developing player who could go all the way.

Excellent news.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 10:54 by expeeler.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:54

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 11:10
Great news. The core of our squad is changing dramatically and I am very happy to see it happen. I imagine the average age of our squad next season will be a lot lower than it was last year.

This must make it a lot easier to recruit into the academy too.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 11:17
Just need Eddie to pull his finger out and nab him before Scotland comes calling.

PembsSaint
PembsSaint (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 11:59
Brilliant!!

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 12:35
Chuffed with this news, delighted to see Rory stay with the club.

ramseysaint
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 12:51
Quote:
Dragonboy
Just need Eddie to pull his finger out and nab him before Scotland comes calling.

He would be ostracised from his family if he played for England. They regard themselves as Scottish through and through.

HungryLikeTheWolf
14 March, 2019 13:01
And the Tuilagi family isn’t Samoan ?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 13:18
He will play where HE wants to play. I would say there is probably less severe competition to make the Scotland team than England, due to simple numbers,so he could do a lot worse (unless he has aspirations of actually winning something internationally).

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 13:42
Very pleased with this, I was quite upset when we let Stephenson go last year, this is just another good example of how we seem to be moving forward.

Question; What is his best position? I'd say 12 but I think he could actually slot in quite well in most positions in the backline. I think he could probably do a good job at 10. A partciuarly valuable talent in our squad!

brancastersaint
brancastersaint (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 14:09
Brilliant News!!
COYS!!!!

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 15:02
That's the first interview of heard of his and he doesn't sound particularly Scottish - however as above entirely up to him, as much as it is difficult from a club perspective its always great to see Saints players pull on their national colours, especially when they achieve that first cap while with us.

I don't suppose any player is ever going to slate the management as he signs a new contract but always good to hear that quality coaching is part of the reason to stay, creating a genuine feeling that younger players will continue to grow if they stay with us.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 15:20
Brilliant news

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 16:08
He has been revelation under Boyd. Delighted!

Saintfanharry
Saintfanh (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 20:50
Fantastic news

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 23:30
Very good news indeed about one of the standout performers this season.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 17:59
Quote:
ramseysaint
Quote:
Dragonboy

He would be ostracised from his family if he played for England. They regard themselves as Scottish through and through.

Didn't realise he was a Corby boy*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net