20 Jamie Gibson
21 Cobus Reinach
22 Rory Hutchinson
23 Tom Collins

MESSAGES->author
Re: Team
ninjafez (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:09
Saracens team to face Northampton Saints at Franklinís Gardens in the Premiership Rugby Cup final (KO 15H00):

FORWARDS: Richard Barrington (160), Christopher Tolofua (32), Christian Judge (15), Joel Kpoku (7), Dom Day (29), Calum Clark (34), Sean Reffell (7), Ben Earl (34).

BACKS: Matt Gallagher (30), Ali Crossdale (7), Marcelo Bosch (129), Dom Morris (10), Rotimi Segun (9), Max Malins (26), Tom Whiteley (24).

REPLACEMENTS: Joe Gray (6), Ralph Adams-Hale (6), Hayden Thompson-Stringer (30), Nick Isiekwe (54), Sione Vailanu (9), Henry Taylor (13), Tom Griffiths (3), Alex Lewington (21).

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:11
Looking at the two sides you have to say that Saints have something far closer to a first XV than Saracens. Fingers crossed that it's enough to see us win the cup!

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:13
Fair play to Sarries thatís not far off the side they have played throughout the competition and definitely has a development feel to it. They could have picked a lot stronger for sure. An appearance for ex Saint Academy Rotimi Segun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 12:17 by Walks11.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:16
Quote:
Abington Adam
Looking at the two sides you have to say that Saints have something far closer to a first XV than Saracens.

A bit of an understatement (Sm22)

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:18
fair play to Sarries

MESSAGES->author
15 March, 2019 12:19
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Abington Adam
Looking at the two sides you have to say that Saints have something far closer to a first XV than Saracens.

Actually I think it's an honest statement of fact, I haven't understated anything.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
EMRU Referee

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:27
They are certainly giving us a chance

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 13:06
So if we win they will tell us it was our first team against their academy and if we lose it will be 'you cannot even beat our kids' so damned if we do and damned if we don't.

May as well just win the thing and look forward to Tiggers next friday !

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 13:12
Fair play to Saracens but we are looking at two teams not just looking at the final but at the rest of the season also. Saracens have a lot of young good players they are trying to bring on and getting their chance on Sunday. Saracens season is based on 1st or 2nd place at the end of the league games and they are pretty much in that area now. Boyd has a large number of injuries still and a number of players coming back from injury and if we are to get something from this season we need to kick on from here and not after a possible loss again to Saracens on Sunday. Two very different priorities but both equally as valid as the other, the only thing that would spoil the resurgence would be a below strength Saracens team beating a more experienced team so heads need to be in the right frame of mind on Sunday for both a good performance and the win.

1876-Fez
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 13:13
Quote:
Houghton Saint
So if we win they will tell us it was our first team against their academy and if we lose it will be 'you cannot even beat our kids' so damned if we do and damned if we don't.
May as well just win the thing and look forward to Tiggers next friday !

Hardly our kids!! Have you seen how old Bosch, Day and Clark are ;-)
Will be none of that from me as you can only play who's Infront or you.
Looking forward to a visit to FG and hopefully a decent game

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Haslam
15 March, 2019 13:20
Surprised you've gone out so strong given the short turnaround until your game with Tigers. Wouldn't be surprised to see early use of your bench. Not that your replacements aren't also pretty damn good!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 13:50
Quote:
Abington Adam
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Abington Adam

Actually I think it's an honest statement of fact, I haven't understated anything.

I agree, we have 6 from our academy in the starting lineup which is not quite half whereas I am guessing about 8 or nine of your starting lineup is from the academy?

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 13:53
Average age of Saints starting 15 = 26
Average age of Sarries starting 15 = 25

Not as big a difference as you think.

ramseysaint
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 14:12
Quote:
SuffolkSaint
Average age of Saints starting 15 = 26
Average age of Sarries starting 15 = 25

Not as big a difference as you think.

But what's the mode and median

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 14:44
Quote:
SaintsAsh
Quote:
Abington Adam
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Abington Adam

I agree, we have 6 from our academy in the starting lineup which is not quite half whereas I am guessing about 8 or nine of your starting lineup is from the academy?

Great spin.

It's Saints first choice available team v the Sarries kids, in a development competition.

Sara'sman
Sara'sman (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:00
As I wrote on our site BO (please have a read) the competition has many, often conflicting roles. I think most fans understand this and understand why each team has selected the side they have. Why don't we just enjoy a game of contrasting teams and styles of play?

Statesman
Statesman (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:03
Ballsout is a Bath Ďsupporterí - I use the Ď Ď as most contributors to that Board would dispute that!

MESSAGES->author
15 March, 2019 15:07
Well said Sara'sman. As I said on your site, maybe it's simply that we are in far greater need of silverware than you guys. A win, any win against Saracens would be welcome, and to bag a pot in Boyd's first season would be another major boost as we continue the process of trying to reduce the gap between Saints and the top two in the overall scheme of things.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
EMRU Referee

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:09
I don't think anyone can justifiably accuse the Saints of not giving youngsters a chance this year.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:31
It is close to our strongest available team for sure.

Out best players this year are mostly Academy graduates.

The only positions we could realistically have played more youngsters are in the centres but with a young 9/10 its wise to add some experience along side.

Viewfromthearmchair
15 March, 2019 15:38
Quote:
JohnI
Fair play to Saracens but we are looking at two teams not just looking at the final but at the rest of the season also. Saracens have a lot of young good players they are trying to bring on and getting their chance on Sunday. Saracens season is based on 1st or 2nd place at the end of the league games and they are pretty much in that area now. Boyd has a large number of injuries still and a number of players coming back from injury and if we are to get something from this season we need to kick on from here and not after a possible loss again to Saracens on Sunday. Two very different priorities but both equally as valid as the other, the only thing that would spoil the resurgence would be a below strength Saracens team beating a more experienced team so heads need to be in the right frame of mind on Sunday for both a good performance and the win.

This. All of the players will give everything irrespective of shirt colour. I expect a saints win but our youngsters, like Malins & Gallgher will do their very best to cause an upset.Looking forward to a great game.

MESSAGES->author
Connorman (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:53
Thank goodness both sets of supporters can discuss sensibly and in a friendly manner - the little troll has infected many message boards over the recent years - best to ignore.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 16:01
Quote:
Connorman
Thank goodness both sets of supporters can discuss sensibly and in a friendly manner - the little troll has infected many message boards over the recent years - best to ignore.

+1. Well said Connor. Letís hope itís a great game with a Saints win. Sarries donít put poor/ bad teams out. Theyíll give any Saints side a really good game. Best of luck to both sides. COYS!

HungryLikeTheWolf
15 March, 2019 16:06
For Boydy to win something in his first year would be a real fillip and if we are trying to build a winning culture then it doesnít hurt. After this we just have the league whereas Sarries have Europe too.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 16:17
Quote:
twsaint
I don't think anyone can justifiably accuse the Saints of not giving youngsters a chance this year.

And this for me is the reason for the team, the whole season has been a development competition, a lot of guys started this season as players we would mainly have expected to see in the wanderers are now legitimate first choice starters

I don't even know what our best first XV is anymore

(Thats a good thing)

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 17:18
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
After this we just have the league whereas Sarries have Europe too.

Nah, we are going to Beat Clermont away and win the challenge cup too ....

I can dream cant I ?

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 17:21
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
For Boydy to win something in his first year would be a real fillip and if we are trying to build a winning culture then it doesnít hurt. After this we just have the league whereas Sarries have Europe too.

Do pay attention at the back there, WP- we still have a European SF ourselves.

Teams have 3 pieces of silverware to chase each season, and weíre still in with a possible (not alas probable) shout for all 3. Thatís better than 10 of our league peers, btw. Our likeliest opportunity is Sunday but weíll see how we go.

#COYS

HungryLikeTheWolf
15 March, 2019 17:59
Iíve mentally written that off!

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 18:43
Good to see reasoned debate with Sarries posters.
I never anticipated that so many Saints Academy players would have 1st Team action this season and that they would hold down their places with distinction. We really are beginning to reap the rewards of Chris Boydís appointment. Iím looking forward to a good game. It will not be easy though.

Merlin-k
Merlin-k (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 23:57
Part of our confusion this year comes from our team this year. Partly because of injuries, partly because Boyd has been working on giving the youngsters a chance. In a different time then this team playing this weekend would have been youngsters who hadnít played in the premiership.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 07:41
I think the selections from each team are logical given where each is in its development and the availability players. Sarries seem to be using the competition to develop young players, because if they don't blood them in this competition when can they.
Our players want desperately to win something so we would always field a fairly strong team, but none of us really know yet what our strongest team is. Boyd has been plagued by so many long term injuries to our "first" team players that he has been forced to reach down deep into the academy. In some ways the injuries have helped resolve the dilemma of giving players opportunities.
It will be a tight game played in great spirit, and all Sarries supporters will I hope be welcome at the Gardens.
Damn shame I'm away on golfing weekend with a couple of other contributors to this site,
Very bad planning.

Buzzardsaint
Buzzardsaint (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 08:27
Success breeds success if the boys can do the job tomorrow they will get the bug of winning trophies and want more and more just like boyd has which will be huge heading into an exciting future for the club.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 09:27
To be fair to us, in many positions we havnt got many selection options. Sure we could reach down further into the academy ranks which would mean playing guys with only wanderers experience. We have played all season with 2 academy hookers.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 10:31
Sarries view it as a development tool so have stuck with youth.

After some tough times we understandably want to win some silverware and with home advantage we have chosen more first teamers.

Frankly winning will mean a lot more to us than Sarries.

Whilst it is firmly Sarries 2nd team with only a sprinkling of first-teamers, it's important to remember Sarries squad is easily the strongest in the League and a lot of their players would be in the 23s for other teams like Kpoku and Mallins. Both are real quality. So we shouldn't take them lightly. Especially given our recent record against Sarries.

manxsaint
manxsaint (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 15:46
Chris Boyd disputes the idea that we're using more first team players than youngsters - he says in his preview that at least 8 or 9 in tomorrow's team won't be there for the Tiggers game next week.

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
17 March, 2019 01:48
Quote:
Wilson Pickett

Quite.

Saints and Sarries have patently different priorities right now and it would be a mistake on the part of Saracens to field a very senior side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net