Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Geoff Allen retiring
Discussion started by BrianB (IP Logged), 18 April, 2019 12:23
MESSAGES->author
Stockers
18 April, 2019 12:31
Nooooooooo!!!

That’ll it! The ravens will be leaving the Tower of London next.......and then the minquies on Gibraltar!

Seriously, many thanks Geoff for everything you’ve done for Saints. Irreplaceable.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
18 April, 2019 12:36
I'll always remember Rememberance Day games and Api's first game.

Thanks Uncle Geoff

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart
18 April, 2019 12:43
A true Saintsman and the voice of The Gardens. Have a happy and long retirement Uncle Geoff!!

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint
18 April, 2019 12:46
All good things must come to an end I suppose - a well earned retirement for Geoff.

Going to Franklin's Gardens won't be the same again - Geoff was on the PA when I first came to Franklin's Gardens at 5 years old!

Thank you Geoff! A true club legend.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
18 April, 2019 12:46
Thank you Geoff, the voice of my 32 years of viewing. Happy retirement!

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan
18 April, 2019 12:53
The voice of the club during my time as a STH.

if there's one thing to do before retirement it's to teach your successor some dignity Geoff

ajack
ajack
18 April, 2019 12:59
He always got the balance right of humour, respect for the opposition and his love of Saints. Pretty much sums up what is so great about rugby. Enjoy your retirement Geoff.

alexc
AlexC
18 April, 2019 13:01
Wow there goes a major piece of the saints match day experience we have all come to respect and huge thanks to his long service to the club. His friendly hospitality and humility were part of our brand and copied by many so he will be missed. I only hope whoever steps into those shoes follows with the same approach and we do not get the cliched screaming announcer, please!

tedge
tedge
18 April, 2019 13:11
Comfortably the worst news of the season.

Dread to think what the "matchday experience" crew will replace him with but please not an "exhorter" to make noise.

MESSAGES->author
Connorman
18 April, 2019 13:22
I know that the contributors to this message board represent a tiny minority of people who come to the games, but nonetheless, I would encourage everyone here to take just 3 minutes and drop a note on the official ‘Contact Us’ link on the website and ask that whoever replaces Geoff, does not start the shouting and exhortation that is so awful at places like Wasps, Quins, Irish etc etc. I also wrote that whoever does the pre-match and half-time on-pitch mic is NOT the right answer.

Longers
Longers
18 April, 2019 13:23
Geoff has been an integral part of my Saints "experience" from as early as I can remember.

From playing, through to looking after me and the family when the Saints were playing the Ray Longland games, he has been a constant.

He then moved on to the mike where he just seemed so natural - perhaps because he did make mistakes.

But now he has decided, a bit like Murray Walker, to hang up his microphone. Geoff, I shall miss you.

Alan

twsaint
twsaint
18 April, 2019 13:36
What a huge loss. Thank you Geoff, we shall never see your like again.

tedge
tedge
18 April, 2019 13:38
I already emailed Tim Percival who has quickly responded as I quote below (he copied Mark Darbon in his answer)

Thanks for your email – you’re feedback is important to the club.

The club owes a huge debt of gratitude to Geoff, not just his service as the PA announcer, but as a player, CEO, etc.

As you’ll no doubt understand it’s difficult to satisfy everyone on matchday. With an average crowd of near 14,000 this season there’s always a healthy clash of opinions of what’s deemed enjoyable.

For instance, a lot of the supporter base are fond of Geoff’s style, but his appeal is not unanimous.

Nevertheless, I agree he’ll be very hard to replac, particularly for Remembrance, when, in my opinion, he’s at his finest. Whatever direction we do decide to go in, we’ll ensure it’s a considered decision.

Send your feedback asap folks !

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
18 April, 2019 13:52
1. We can build a atmosphere with a shouter
2. The teams with shouters in England are those without point 1.
3. Lets actually be creative in creating the atmosphere.
4. Whatever direction it goes, it has to be authentic.

Born_Again_Saint
Born_Again_Saint
18 April, 2019 13:55
This is sad news indeed, thank you Geoff for being such an important part of the Gardens experience for so long! I hope he has a very happy retirement!!

I have to say though, it feels a little like Saints could hire Ian Robertson to do the job and still people would complain about the replacement...

Change is inevitable sometimes and I think whoever comes in needs to be given a fair chance as they have huge shoes to fill and no-one can really replace Geoff's sense of humour etc. I will be coming to the Gardens next season with an open mind!

LadySaint77
LadySaint77
18 April, 2019 13:57
Quote:
Born_Again_Saint
This is sad news indeed, thank you Geoff for being such an important part of the Gardens experience for so long! I hope he has a very happy retirement!!
I have to say though, it feels a little like Saints could hire Ian Robertson to do the job and still people would complain about the replacement...

Change is inevitable sometimes and I think whoever comes in needs to be given a fair chance as they have huge shoes to fill and no-one can really replace Geoff's sense of humour etc. I will be coming to the Gardens next season with an open mind!

+1

Jamie_86
Jamie_86
18 April, 2019 14:08
Really really sad news.

This will fundamentally change the match day experience. As others have said, the direction the club takes here on his successor is a very important decision and I hope they realise that.

I appreciate not everybody likes Geoff's style. Perhaps it's slightly outdated for some but for me, he contributes significantly to the culture and feel around the club on match days.

We must not replace him with a DJ style announcer as so many other clubs have done. I also wonder and hope that Geoff might come back once a year as a guest announcer for the remembrance day service.

Thank you so much Geoff. I've been a season ticket holder for 18 years and they way you deliver every week has been an absolute delight to me. You're unparalleled in your field. Enjoy retirement. You've earned it.

Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Covbryan
Covbryan
18 April, 2019 14:36
Would agree wholeheartedly with all the above threads,Geoff you are a legend,I do not believe,in all sincerity,there is another person within the premiership announcers as profession in every way as your good self.Enjoy your well earned retirement,you will be greatly missed.

twsaint
twsaint
18 April, 2019 14:57
I got a very good response from Tim Percival.

pksaint
pksaint
18 April, 2019 15:40
Beat me to it! smiling smiley

pksaint
pksaint
18 April, 2019 15:44
Sad news. But..... As long as we don't get shouty person... Please no...

white lion
white lion
18 April, 2019 16:37
Thanks Geoff for all you've done. And for anyone not of my vintage I have to report that he was a very good fly half perhaps playing, if memory serves me right, with Dickie Jeeps. Please Geoff, can you train someone in the art of announcing? God forbid that we get one of the modern generation of fairground barkers.

Joe Davison
Toulousian Firefighter
18 April, 2019 16:50
I don’t often comment on retirements/leavers but this one hurts the most. What an absolutely legend and so synonymous with the match day experience at the gardens. I really have dreaded this day. Part of my saints supporting life for 35 years.

Such a shame, also, that it comes when we look like we’re on the up. It can’t have been easy being the announcer in our darkest days, conceding 50pts to Saracens again.

I hope he’s given a proper send off, just like the leaving players get at the end of the season.

Though the club may feel his style may not be to everyone’s taste he is ours and is our style. It’s worked for decades. Please, please, no shouty man.

Thank you, geoff. Enjoy your retirement.

saintsby2018
saintsby2018
18 April, 2019 17:03
Stockers post is about right for me (as well as all those above too) Thank you uncle Geoff for the 20 years of chuckling at your gentle and often very funny quips. The 'moist' eye you brought to my eyes every special rememberance matchday but above all the embodiment of the values in rugby you brought to the job. I shall miss your upbeat "Welcome to Franklins Gardens home of Northampton Saints" you sir helped make it home for us all. Enjoy a happy healthy rteirement.

2018 The fightback begins COYS!

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul
18 April, 2019 20:31
The greatest compliment I can pay is, for me, Geoff is irreplaceable. A true gentleman with wonderfully understated wit and warmth.

He's had far more of an impact on my enjoyment of being a Saints fan than any player.

Walks11
Walks11
18 April, 2019 21:53
All the best Geoff, you will be missed particularly in November, always a moving Remembrance announcement.

With the return of the “Come on you Oirish” next season I would implore the club that we are a traditional club and do NOT need rah rahing while the game is in progress. A few clubs do it and think it’s poor. We don’t need a prompt to sing or cheer

harryw
harryw
19 April, 2019 07:19
Sad news and one I know he agonised over and reluctantly came to.

I went to school with Geoff and played with him at ON’s in his last game for them before playing his next game the following Saturday for Saints, that wouldn’t happen today.

In those 56 years I have been proud to call him a best friend and mate and he is a true gentleman with a very dry sense of humour.

He will now be able to spend more time with his lovely wife Wendy, how apt was that union, and family.

He will be missed by those who have followed Saints for many years and those new followers in the future will never know what they missed .

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
19 April, 2019 10:30
I would hope and expect the club leaves a permanent fixture at the ground with his name on it. Ideas on a postcard...

tedge
tedge
19 April, 2019 10:40
Could be one of the bars,or the village, or his name on his seat

LongTimeLurker
LongTimeLurker
19 April, 2019 10:54
Perhaps toolstation could market "Geoff Allen" ear defenders?

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth
19 April, 2019 13:53
As an announcer, Geoff is the best I’ve heard and believe me I work in an awful lot of stadiums of all types of sport with my job.

However, as the PA it is probably the least important thing Geoff did for our club. Without his involvement in the not too distant history of our club, I’m not sure what kind of club we would be supporting now. I’d even go as far to say that Geoff should be in the same paragraph if not sentence when we talk about Keith Barwell’s colossal involvement.

Personally, he is my only real connection with the club. He’s the public voice we hear regularly. He has defined the Saints matchday experience with his Peter Alliss style of announcement. To say he’ll be missed is a huge understatement. Thank you Geoff. You helped endear me to the Saints in my first visit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net