rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Londonsaint
Wasps exits
Londonsaint (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 15:26
Looking at Wasps exits over the last 2 years (so effectively over the last 13 months), you could construct a pretty tasty team (with the exception of hooker):
15. Le Roux
14. Daly
13. Lovobalavu & Campagnaro
12. Eastmond
11. Daly
10. Cipriani
9. Simpson
8. Hughes
7. Thompson
6. Haskell & Sam Jones
5. Symons
4. Myall
3. Moore & Cooper-Wooley
1. Mullan

With a couple of exceptions these players left to go to other top flight clubs. Wasps have recruited some potential super-stars (Sopoaga, Shields, Fekitoa, Toomaga-Allen, Vellacott), and they have some great youngsters coming through (e.g. the Willis brothers). But I would be mega worried if I was a Wasps fan that so many top players wanted to leave, and how long it will take them to stitch a new side together.

Duckonstilts
Re: Wasps exits
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 15:33
Moving to Coventry cant have helped.

Continued financial issues for a decade dont help either.

Londonsaint
Londonsaint (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 15:38
Meant to say Wade on the other wing - not Daly twice!

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 16:47
Thatís a lot of good players to miss.
With Sopoaga, has anyone else been underwhelmed by him so far? A big deal was made about him leaving his ABís career to come play here but I havenít seen anything special from him once. Either very over rated, or in very poor form the whole season? Iíd chose Grayson over him from what Iíve seen...
To have big names leave and your big names coming in not playing well, itís a bad situation for Wasps.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 17:34
Quote:
St.Sinner
With Sopoaga, has anyone else been underwhelmed by him so far? A big deal was made about him leaving his ABís career to come play here but I havenít seen anything special from him once. Either very over rated, or in very poor form the whole season? Iíd chose Grayson over him from what Iíve seen...
To have big names leave and your big names coming in not playing well, itís a bad situation for Wasps.

Heís very talented, maybe see how he goes with Gopperth and Fekitoa next year. Heís had the likes of Le Bourgeois and Lovobalavu outside him this year. Robson injury also unhelpful.

I think theyíve wasted De Jongh in the centres

SaintGuy
SaintGuy (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 18:24
Quote:
St.Sinner
With Sopoaga, has anyone else been underwhelmed by him so far? A big deal was made about him leaving his ABís career to come play here but I havenít seen anything special from him once.

I think he'll be better next season with a full grasp of what is required in the Prem. He has said he was taken back by the size of the players here compared to SH rugby, and with that size probably how the game is played (a bit more pragmatically compared to down under). Gopperth outside him will make it a lot easier for sure.

John Tee
John Tee (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 19:43
Quote:
St.Sinner

Yep, me too.
I think he jumped ship because Mackenzie was coming through for the AB's.
He has a pretty poor pass too...as any viewings of his game pre wasps would show.
Kicks well, and has pace but doesn't have enough guile to put someone in.
Having said that, after what Cipriani has done with Glaws backline, he would suffer by comparison.

Too many English 10's commit the ball to running through brick walls which makes for an attritional game and therefore size over guile is a premium.

So, you need the rest of the game to make sense of that.
I'd put Grayson at the top of young English 10's and wait to see how he, smith and Umaga develop.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 23:31
Nice OP LondonSaint

Wasps look like a House of Cards to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Ady32
Ady32 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 07:37
And according to todayís Times, Steve Borthwick recently turned them down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net