Bag Inton
Something to mull over...
Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 15:43

ajack
Re: Something to mull over...
ajack (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 15:56
What a load of rubbish they just win scrummage penalties kick to the corner and maul the ball over the line.(Sm111)

fatrucker
fatrucker (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 17:23
Hmmmmm. That simple, eh. Can we have some, please!

MESSAGES->author
Connorman (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 17:57
From the same analysis:

"Exeter does have other tools at their disposable, namely scrum dominance and forward play inside the 22, which has been responsible for creating the bulk of the scoring opportunities when they haven’t been clicking.

The closer they get to the try line, the more narrow they become. It is misguided to say the Chiefs are all about ball movement and innovative schemes. That is certainly true in the middle third of the field, but they also rely heavily on their pack to maul and bully there way over to finish drives in prime attacking position inside the 22"

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 21:19
Objectively (and I admire what Rob B has done) this is re-engineering positioning of backs. Over analysis is rife in rugby.

IMHO in 2 years Exeter won’t be top 2. Saints, Glaws, Sarries, Bath, Tigers, maybe Brizz, maybe Quins or Wasps will have bigger players across the squad. Their style won’t be as effective as it is now.

As a litmus test, to a man all my “England rugby fans who casually follow club rugby” friends say exeter are dull, hope Baxter doesn’t become england coach and agree their time is up.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 22:33
Interesting article. Cheers Ken.

Stilo
Stilo (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 09:33
Rugby by numbers, preditacble and boring. When the other teams have worked out how to stop them do they have a plan B?

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 10:17
Quote:
Stilo
Rugby by numbers, preditacble and boring. When the other teams have worked out how to stop them do they have a plan B?

Does anyone? Surely the point of setting up in "stacks" is that an you have immediate 2 on 1, with 3 attackers running at 2 defenders. How do you stop it?

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 10:36
As they have scored 12 tries more than any other team in the league why would they want to change the way they play? Once others have worked out how to stop them doing what they are doing no doubt they will move on. I really struggle to understand why winning rugby is seen as boring rugby. Maybe there are those that just want to see two teams throwing the ball around and forget tackling or defence but to me at least that is not rugby.

The Sarries v Leinster final was probably the best game I have seen all year but there were those saying the challenge cup final were better to me it was miles short.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 11:21
There is no right way or wrong way to win, you play to your strengths and if possible exploit opposition's weakness. The majority of supporters will take winning a Championship with boring play rather than sitting mid table playing entertaining rugby.
However if you have the personnel to play entertaining and winning rugby I think we would all take that.

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 May, 2019 12:33
Direction of travel Ajack not static state

The best club side is Crusaders. They chuck it about but can also crash over when close.

On direction of travel, Exeter’s style with the same coaches playing the same way will eventually run out of runway. Possibly middle of next season.

IMHO Saints and Glaws will be better than them next season. If we get a bit more ballast couple with 15 players all skilful enough to play heads up rugby from anywhere..... that beats “bang it in the corner, 80 pick and goes to get a try”.

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 13:18
Teams certainly come and go always have always will I suspect. The Blues and Chiefs were above the Crusaders not so long ago and probably will be again one day. I have seen nothing to suggest Sarries or Exeter are not moving forward or Glaws or us are any closer to them than Wasps or Falcons were last year. They will not be at the top for ever that is for sure but I have seen nothing to suggest they won't be next season.

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 May, 2019 13:53
Fair enough.

FYI super rugby started in 1996. Crusaders record:-

1998 winners
1999 winners
2000 winners
2002 winners
2003 lost final
2004 lost final
2005 winners
2006 winners
2007 lost semi
2008 winners
2009 lost semi
2010 lost semi
2011 lost final
2012 lost semi
2013 lost semi
2014 lost final
Then Blackadder was coach and they achieve zilch (job too early for him)
2017 winners
2018 winners

Pretty damn consistent! The Blues won the first couple of Super 12s but been pants for a long time.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 13:55
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
On direction of travel, Exeter’s style with the same coaches playing the same way will eventually run out of runway.

Isn't article about how they're addressing that exact point?

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 May, 2019 15:29
yeah and I think it’s wrong. He’s taken a couple of set piece moves and suggested that is developing a new style. I’m sure the moves are clever and worked occasionally but they’re a possession side who chunk metres and suffocate sides (with some flair players like Cordero who can magic something up in space).

They don’t have a new style, we saw that last week.

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 17:34
Why on earth would they want to change their style? They have developed a squad to play a certain way. Doing this they have won more games than any other team, scored more tries than any other team, got more try bonus points than any other team and until they had secured a home semi and took their foot off the gas done so at a canter. You would always want to add a slight improvement or change here or there and mover forward but only a mad man would throw that all away to start again.

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 May, 2019 18:19
Because you grow with the game or die. If you aren’t constantly changing and evolving you will accept a limited shelf life. Crusaders play nothing like 2 years ago let alone 5.

Jim and Dorian ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net