10 June, 2019 10:05
So we can see our 6 new signings.

Franks
Proctor
Bird-Teulloch
Olowafela
Uru
Taylor

I don't know quite if I'm a little underwhelmed or not. Obviously Franks and Proctor are superb players, but the others are very green and will need time to adapt.

I just hope that plans are in place as compare to other clubs, our recruitment has been overshadowed. Theres a lot of hope being put on youth... everything crossed that we don't do a Newcastle!

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Next Season's Squad in Pictures
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
10 June, 2019 10:28
Do you have a few mill lying around to help out?

we have a 3 year plan to profitability and nothing with move us from that

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
10 June, 2019 10:32
I am not concerned. Its possible things wont go our way of course but most of these young guys have been in our system for years and have been improving year on year. Bringing in an outsider is often more of a risk because Rugby is a team sport, cream does float to the top of course but you cant be sure if they will fit as expected.

There is an awful lot of improvement to come from our young players that only top level game time can provide. Our scrum is an issue of course because although we can negate it in many cases, thats just not true Vs the top teams in Europe. That said, a Team with Franks, Hartley, Franks, Lawes, ANOther, Wood, Brussow and Harrison has enough experience and skill to do well. We can even move Lawes to 6 and put two fatboys in the second row.

Hopefully players like Haywood and Mallinder are back fit, thats like having two new recruits all on its own.

We have the players, I am convinced we just need the fitness, coaching and game time to get the results. I wonder what a full pre-season will do :-)

NobbyClarke
NobbyClarke (IP Logged)
10 June, 2019 11:07
I reckon we have a good blend of youth and experience and look forward to next season which, in my opinion, will be a better sign of our future prospects! The new coach bounce has seen us, again my opinion, over perform and top 4 was flattering.

Don't get me wrong we were worth the spot, but just one of several clubs that could say the same. We need to show more consistency, especially at home, and we will ride the wave of confidence which has gladly returned to the club and the way we are playing our Rugby.

We could perform equally well next season and finish lower, which should not derail the "project" but we need to keep 100% behind the boys who have done so well this term and cheer them on for a repeat; keeping confidence high and heads up throughout the year! Bring it on with the boys we have and let others worry about waving the magic wand at marquee players and superstars (and super costs!). Just a thought!

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
10 June, 2019 13:09
I love the photo of Cobus. Literally flying along on his way to try line, with the acclaim of the crowd behind him!

One thing, we have a great stock of young locks to add to Courtney and Api with their experience.

Ribbans! Only 23!

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
10 June, 2019 13:15
I was a little surprised to see that Harry is only 22 and Tom Collins only 24.

Both seem to have been around for years!

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
10 June, 2019 15:41
Good point Stokey, although Jim received a fair amount of criticism for having his favorites some players did get their shot along the way. Harry and Tom are still very young even for backs. They could very well be the wise heads bringing through the future saints in 8 years (after we win 4 or 5 more trophys)

Saintsman94
Saintsman94 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 11:18
Hi all, long time lurker and very rare poster here who has just finally reset his password after a year of not knowing my previous one!

I’m extremely excited by the prospect of this squad, Boyd is balancing experience and youth very nicely and creating a seriously exciting outfit. Of the new signings I think Ryan Olowofela, in particular, intrigues me. Should his switch to 15’s be even half as successful as
Mcconnochie at Bath, we could have quite some player on our hands and at only 21 years old, there’s a lot of potential there!

I agree with a lot of people that we would benefit from a big, ball carrying 8 and a scrummaging loosehead but when you really analyse the squad, we simply don’t have room. As I see it we have 5 players in our squad who play 8, not including Wood and Brussow who can cover.

Harrison,
Eadie,
Onojaife,
Uri,
Iyogun (Dependant upon how the switch to loosehead goes)

Then at loosehead I think we have 4 out and out looseheads and should the previously mentioned Iyogun make the switch successfully, we will have 5. Also if, as many expect (though I’m not so sure) Ben Franks switches sides of the scrum, we’ll then have 6!

Van Wyk,
Waller,
Davis,
Trinder,
Iyogun,
Franks.

So whilst the players we have might not quite be the ones many fans feel we need, we’re certainly well stocked in these departments. All it would take is for a couple of our younger, less established players to have a breakthrough campaign, say Onojaife/Uri and Trinder, and we could have an extremely well balanced side without having broken the bank. Based on last season's performance, I wouldn’t bet against that happening!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 12:10
[quote Duckonstilts]
Hopefully players like Haywood and Mallinder are back fit, thats like having two new recruits all on its own.quote]

Symons as well.. hopefully all fit and firing for start of season

Londonsaint
Londonsaint (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 10:15
There are a few new players in there (presumably in the senior academy for next year), that I've not heard much about:
1. Gillespie (wing) [though he was in the squad towards the end of this year]
2. Freeman (fly half)
3. Newman (back row)
4. Hughes (prop)
5. Iyogun (prop)

Anyone have any views on which of them have the most potential?

MESSAGES->author
Connorman (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 11:57
All in last year’s U18 cohort and offered Academy contracts.

1. Gillespie (wing) ex-Millfield. Pacey. Arguably more a 7s player, but we’ll see.
2. Freeman (fly half) Moulton College and Kettering RFC. Came late into the frame - a bit of a ‘punt'
3. Newman (back row) Ollie is a very decent young player. U18s were not the same team when he was absent.
4. Hughes (prop) ex-Uppingham. Has real potential IMO
5. Iyogun (prop) always played No.8 for U18s. They think he can be converted to prop. A project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net