Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

England vs Wales
Discussion started by Saint Stokey (IP Logged), 11 August, 2019 14:55
Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
11 August, 2019 14:55
Well, a good first half. Lewis holding his own and not looking like a debutant. Francis looking a little out of sorts and Courtney instantly switched on from the bench.

I think Heinz has answered his critics. Instantly more aggressive and intensive than Youngs

tedge
tedge
11 August, 2019 15:17
Can't agree about Francis

MESSAGES->author
Matthew
11 August, 2019 15:24
How are our boys doing? No real mention of them either way in the BBC's text commentary.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
11 August, 2019 15:29
OK, Francis hasn't really done anything wrong but I think it's because he's been overshadowed by George, Cokasigna, Daly and Watson.

John Tee
John Tee
11 August, 2019 16:00
MOTM was Lawes imv. I thought BV was in with a shout but went quiet. If Lawes is ever quiet, he isnt on the pitch.

I thought Wales were collectively off the pace...and i cant see them playing like that next week.
England did have more than a few pluses though.
Worried about Curry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 16:04 by John Tee.

Saintfanharry
Saintfanh
11 August, 2019 16:00
Thought Francis took the ball to the game line well and defended excellently. Won't be first choice 12 but the combination of Ford, Francis and Joseph worked really well. Ludlam was great and Lawes immense.

Deesaint
Deesaint
11 August, 2019 16:03
Thought all the saints boys did enough to be on the plane to Japan
Did someone forget to mention to Courtney that it was a Ďfriendly Ď :-)

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit
11 August, 2019 18:01
I thought Ludlum put his hand up for selection although it would be a bit unfair to Curry if it was his expense due to injury. I thought Francis played well but centre is suddenly the positions that England have serious strenght in depth. Again it could be that Francis gets selected at the expense of Slade through injury

Courtney as destructive as ever and was never a doubt about his place.

Biggar didn't have his best game but the same could be said of most of hte Welsh players.

Regardless of what Gatland may say, the Welsh 1st choice side were beaten by an English experimental side and, even though it was a friendly, Wales were not going out to experiment. Gatland's team selection was almost certainly influenced by their aiming for the most wins record plus attaining number 1 in the world rankings. Without those pressures I feel that he may also have tried a few more fringe players.

It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend. Jones can keep experimenting with team selection and continue to treat it as a warm up game. Gatland is likely to make few changes as being beaten two weeks running would be a serious blow to confidence and today's team was probably Wale's best.

England can afford to lose next weekend, Wales probably can't regardless of the spin that they might like to put out.

SaintGuy
SaintGuy
11 August, 2019 18:44
Quote:
Saintly Pursuit
Jones can keep experimenting with team selection and continue to treat it as a warm up game.

England RWC squad named Monday, so won't be too much experimenting as they will drop a lot of players

SaintGuy
SaintGuy
11 August, 2019 18:47
I was reserved about Lewis being in the team as thought it was a step too soon, but shown by the passion in the anthems he was pumped for this game. He was outstanding, and I think will be on the plane ahead of Shields now (Curry to still make plane also). Francis was defensively very good too and could go, just because he can also play 10 if need be (must of been the back up 10 today) which you want when you have to play so many games on the trot, he will be good in the group stages, no further however. Biggar looked off the pace but as several have pointed out so did many Welshmen

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit
11 August, 2019 18:56
Quote:
SaintGuy
Quote:
Saintly Pursuit
Jones can keep experimenting with team selection and continue to treat it as a warm up game.

England RWC squad named Monday, so won't be too much experimenting as they will drop a lot of players

There is still plenty of room to experiment with 15 and 23 from 30/31. We are unlikely to play our "cup final" side in the warm ups so there are opportunities to work out combinations. For instance, Tuilangi was, today, a great impact sub. Is it better to start him but have a diluted influence rather than bring him off the bench?

SaintGuy
SaintGuy
11 August, 2019 19:47
of course can still experiment, but I believe someone like Cole is done (3 tackles, no carries). So the crazy experiments will be gone but as you said can still experiment ie daly to wing, possibly slade playing 12 with Manu at 13 etc

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
11 August, 2019 20:30
Experimental England side vs Wales first XV

worrying for Wales..... some key guys just 1 year too old now?

MESSAGES->author
Matthew
11 August, 2019 20:47
Quote:
SaintGuy
Quote:
Saintly Pursuit

I thought the World Cup squad was already cut to 33 and that final squad needs to be only two players fewer...?

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 20:48 by Matthew.

white lion
white lion
11 August, 2019 23:03
This is where we miss Eif. He would have explained how England were inferior to Wales in all aspects of the game and how only the rub of the green prevented a thumping Wales win.

Scooby Saint COYS
Scooby Saint COYS
12 August, 2019 00:11
Quote:
SaintGuy
of course can still experiment, but I believe someone like Cole is done (3 tackles, no carries).

Funnily enough, I think Cole and Williams are both certainties to be on the plane (because weíll surely take 3 tight heads) despite not usually rating either of them that highly. In this game I gave them a bit of a pass because the scrum went well.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink
12 August, 2019 02:06
Cole did get a pretty decent turnover as well during the first half. Might have to look at stats later.

SaintGuy
SaintGuy
12 August, 2019 07:16
[www.espn.co.uk]
Some stats can be found here. I do now realise as we have no props that can play both sides of the scrum, we will probably take 9 and that includes Cole.

The 33 man squad was not a full set list, for example dropping Brown and Te'o, Jones said that does not mean he will fully drop them from the final 31

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H
12 August, 2019 08:38
Franics did exactly what was asked of him, run the defensive line and how good and fast was it and a couple of big telling hits, also showed his hands a couple of times.... he playing the Farrell role when at 12 and did it well.... as an old poster here use to say watch the game not the ball.

I was stoked for Lewis, especially as he crying with emotion during National Anthem smiling smiley

Walks11
Walks11
12 August, 2019 10:49
Quote:
Neil-H
Franics did exactly what was asked of him, run the defensive line and how good and fast was it and a couple of big telling hits, also showed his hands a couple of times.... he playing the Farrell role when at 12 and did it well.... as an old poster here use to say watch the game not the ball.
I was stoked for Lewis, especially as he crying with emotion during National Anthem smiling smiley

Agree, Neil 8 think thatís why he will be on plane as he can play a Farrel like 12 role either outside Ford or Farrel himself. Jones can still play the same shape backline and have a like for like replacement. He canít with anyone else

Dragonboy
Dragonboy
12 August, 2019 10:58
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
Neil-H

Agree, Neil 8 think thatís why he will be on plane as he can play a Farrel like 12 role either outside Ford or Farrel himself. Jones can still play the same shape backline and have a like for like replacement. He canít with anyone else
And donít overlook the fact that he can step in at 10 if need be as can Slade. Thereís always room for a bit of versatility in the midfields backs these days. Itís not confined to the back 3

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4
12 August, 2019 11:09
I agree with everyone. 😜

John Tee
John Tee
12 August, 2019 12:57
i dont think a makeshift 10 is desirable. i dont think Farrell is good enough there..he is a 12.
however, Jones likes players who can double and in a fixed limited squad, there is some logic in that.

Ford cant double though so if Jones takes 2 10's then Ford is backup. Even though we had a nice balance yesterday i can't see Jones not playing Farrell. And he cant go into the Rwc with both on the pitch.

Id recall Brown for Daly. Daly is useful but Brown is a banker there.
Daly is still makeshift FB imv.

SaintGuy
SaintGuy
12 August, 2019 13:03
Forwards
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) *
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps)
George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) *
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) *
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) **
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) *
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps)
Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) *
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) *
Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps)
Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) *
George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) *
Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)
Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) *
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) *
Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) *
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) *
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) *
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) *
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

Full squad announcement

Scooby Saint COYS
Scooby Saint COYS
12 August, 2019 13:58
Quote:
Scooby Saint COYS
Quote:
SaintGuy
of course can still experiment, but I believe someone like Cole is done (3 tackles, no carries).

Funnily enough, I think Cole and Williams are both certainties to be on the plane (because weíll surely take 3 tight heads) despite not usually rating either of them that highly. In this game I gave them a bit of a pass because the scrum went well.

Ah good. Yet another prediction blows up in my face. 2 tight heads it is, with Williams not making it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 14:00 by Scooby Saint COYS.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint
12 August, 2019 20:20
I think there was definitely an element of Wales not being match ready, perhaps earlier in the building that England as well as some of the England lads playing for places while the Welsh lads were all assured.... Promising for England but I wouldn't read too much into it.

If Watson carries on playing well he needs to move to 15 as he's much more secure under the high ball, Daly can move to the wing as I like to see him there somewhere (or perhaps a versatile bench option?). Sounds like Brown was doubtful anyway but that scrap decided it. I hope Curry's injury isn't serious, I liked the combo of him and Lewis and it seemed to work well.

Longers
Longers
12 August, 2019 20:21
I did have to laugh at one sad Welshman being interviewed on the radio.

He put the Welsh performance down to the fact it was their first match.

I hate to break it to you, sir, but it was ours, too!

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
14 August, 2019 20:01
It may be controversial but given his versatility, I'd have Daly on the bench. My back 3 would be May at 11, Cokasigna at 14 and Watson at 15. I just think there's the versatility, pace and mixed attacking threat.

I know we'd lose the long place kicking but Farrell is pretty good and if we need to chase a game, Daly is a great option to bring on. Offers more than Nowell in my opinion.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
14 August, 2019 23:35
Quote:
Saint Stokey
It may be controversial but given his versatility, I'd have Daly on the bench. My back 3 would be May at 11, Cokasigna at 14 and Watson at 15. I just think there's the versatility, pace and mixed attacking threat.
I know we'd lose the long place kicking but Farrell is pretty good and if we need to chase a game, Daly is a great option to bring on. Offers more than Nowell in my opinion.

my only issue with that is kicking. World Cup rugby is usually tight, territory, mistakes. None of that back 3 are natural kickers.... Daly is also left footed, big Ďget out of jailí card in your 22

bonus is long kicks at goal

Sir Hector
Sir Hector
15 August, 2019 12:47
Thereís not really much point in picking a side without understanding the strategy and the opposition. I would certainly look to have a different approach and team selection for each of Tonga, USA, France and Argentina. There will inevitably be injuries along the way to contend with too. Should we progress beyond the pool stages we may well find that the team picks itself by then!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net