rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Bears v Tradition
Posted by: neale harvey
Date: 16/04/2018 17:59
Quote:
Channel2
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Purely a personal view - and I'm entitled to one as I've reported on Bristol since 2002 for Rugby Times, Rugby Paper and the Sunday Independent - but if Steve Lansdowne wants a rebrand, so what?
Would he do it for City? Probably not. But then City weren't a club going nowhere six years ago at the Mem in front of 4,000 people... or worse, going bust.

It's all about results now. If Bristol bomb next season and go straight back down again, you can throw all the marketing at it you like and it'll mean Jack. the

Lansdowne has earned the right to try. Bristol will still be Bristol.

So... By dint of being a billionaire and accordingly dropping relatively loose change into the rugby club Mr Lansdown has earned the right to do whatever he wants. OK I understand your point of view. A few questions if I may though, because as a professional in the sport, you are clearly better informed by me or the vast majority of posters on here:

1- Who amongst the fanbase were consulted, as I believe has been stated? I am certain no consultation occurred over the act of branding, but what absolute plum considered "Bears" as relevant to Bristol? Also, as has been pointed out on the football forum, Bear is a highly negative term in financial markets which Lansdown should be aware of, and the "Bear Pit" which someone has suggested will be how the south stand is branded during matches is of course a place where noble animals from whom we take our new name were routinely humiliated tortured and ultimately killed.Very thoughtful that.The bear Pit is also one of the biggest eyesores in this fair city incidentally.

2- What does this branding actually achieve? Success, or even mid table mediocracy this coming season will see crowds swell and the coffers likewise, so i'm at a loss to understand why this has happened, unless it is to appease the new Yank sponsors. If so, then please let the fans know and put a lid on this.

3- Lastly, Where in your opinion does Mr Lansdown's right to do as he wishes go beyond the pale? All red home kit is surely on the cards. Playing games abroad means the city of origin will be considered less important to the new "customers" elsewhere, so what if the "Bristol" was done away with, I mean we are the Bears now right, so has he earned the right to do that also?

Long term fans will refer to the club as Bristol, but new ones won't. Exeter are called Chiefs by many , Sale as Sharks etc so the club identity will certainly be eroded over time.

Nothing Bristol Sport does surprises me, but you must be aware that despite his billions, Mr Lansdown has yet to get anything right in a sporting sense. Why? Because he surrounds himself with chancers and yes men (Pat Lam excepted)This sounds yet another gaffe by BS, for which our ruler must take responsibility.Many will like the branding, many won't and BS will claim the inevitable gate increases and revenue are solely down to it.We are stuck with it, so get used to it . I won't go, but i'll be no loss, and nor will the other dinosaurs who think Bristol should be called Bristol, and play in navy and white..

It's all irrelevant. Wasps are now Wasps playing good rugby in Coventry... attracting double, often treble the crowds they did in London or Wycombe.

Whether Bristol are called Bears, Beavers or Browns, it will all boil down to results. If they're successful, people will come.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net