rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Your memories of the Memorial Ground
Posted by: Big Dave
Date: 05/04/2008 12:07
First went to the Memorial Ground as a 13/14 year old in 1990, got in free with a little ticket I got from the Bristol Combination for a couple of seasons for playing for a Combination Club.

Initially my Dad came with me to keep an eye on me, and now both my parents are season ticket holders.

I'm looking forward to bringing my (by then) six month old little boy to the Worcester game and will certainly have a picture of three generations of my family in our spot in the West Enclosure where we've been standing for the best part of two decades.

Best games? Beating Quins in 92 (?) 16-0 is a happy memory. ThHis was one of my first experiences of that Bristol spirit, where we draw on our immense rugby heritage to stick it to a team, or a world, that doesn't give us the respect we deserve. Derek Eves led the team out to take the cheers of the crowd. The next time I saw a Bristol performance of such two finger raising proportions it was at Ashton Gate against B**h in 2003. Promotion against Worcester in 1999 is a good memory, as is beating B**h in 2005 and Gloucester last season.

Memorial memories? The cat that used to wander around the West Enclosure, and of course the corgis. Also a bugler (Gloucestershire Regiment?) and the minute's silence at the nearest game to Remembrance Sunday. There's also the feel of the place - there's something very evocative in my mind about the smell of cigarettes and the taste of scalding hot tea in a styrofoam cup, with the accompniament of the dull thud of the ball on the old West Enclosure's roof. I should also perhaps note that the first pint my dad bought me - cider - was at the England B v Springboks game in 1992.

I will certainly miss the old place.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net