rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Calum Clark
Posted by: Bathovalballer
Date: 18/01/2017 10:50
Personally, I admire aggression and toughness but not to the extent of inflicting potentially career or life consequent injuries on another player.

Mr Clark has form on that the Hawkins incident followed on some very bad behavior with his head at under 20 level if I recall rightly. It was one of the most sickening incidents I have had the misfortune to see in any contact sport and especially the one where I believe part of the game is knowing where all players respect the line between hard aggressive play and pure thuggery, especially on a man who was defenseless at the time.

He may be a reformed character and I sincerely hope he is! But to me there is always an element of doubt in such a person, and something may just trigger another incident where he seems to lose control, and do permanent damage. IMV he should have received a 10 year or lifetime ban for the Hawkins incident and he shouldn't have been allowed back on a rugby pitch after not learning from his earlier over aggressive actions. He was also very lucky RH didn't take him to Court.

At least in the past, such players often got their comeuppance on the field of play, and the prospect of such action, often kept such bad behaviour in check. In these modern 'sanitised' days, players cannot afford to do that with potential bans/litigation as well as the fact that the players are generally bigger and stronger than in the past.

From a playing point of view, he is a mobile, hard tackling and working back row who has undoubted talent. But as I said, the red mist moments are a concern to me and will be forever. Saracens appear to play on the edge and with Mr Clark in their ranks, that will appear to me that they intend to maintain that position. Good luck to them but I just hope he doesn't do anything so bad again.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net