rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

A Positive Spin
Posted by: northstand warrior
Date: 05/10/2017 11:43
Ok there a numerous threads on all the problems we feel we are facing but Gary Gold in his latest interview has stated he feels we are in a better position than we were last year.

I immediately laughed at this point but have spent like most, many an hour having a think, here is my positive spin on it all.

Off the Pitch
So we have lost near on 16 million over a period, a horrendous amount of money, however a good proportion of this has been spent on our facilities.

1. We own our own ground
2. There is room on this ground for further development to increase revenue, which is what is needed to compete in the league, look at London Welsh.

So our current owners wish to sell or look for further investment, can't blame them, but maybe it is not about them pulling the plug and walking away.

Bill Bolsover stated in his interview with BBC Hereford and Worcester that in order for Premiership Clubs to survive and be competitive they will need additional revenue streams, maybe the current major share holder does not want to plough more money in to achieve this and for the sake of the club, fans and all the staff has made this decision for the future and longevity of OUR CLUB, knowing that there will be a new owner out there wishing to take the club forward further.

We do know that Ed Griffiths had put an offer forward but Bill Bolsover mentioned that this was not accepted or not on the table for consideration as the current owners wish to find the right type of buyer.

Maybe, just maybe the offer was deemed not good enough for all concerned, I do not mean financialy but maybe their plan for the future was not for the good enough future of OUR CLUB.

So to sum up, maybe the current owners respectively are thinking about the future and not just about grabbing the best bid and running.

Let's take London Irish for example, they do not own their own ground, their gate receipts are less than ours, how are they going to fund that long term? We have already seen in the press they are looking for additional investment of 10 million, that is a 10 million gift surely, not an investment as currently they have no infrastructure to be able to increase revenue streams to pay it back.

The tide is turning in professional rugby, for those wanting to stay in the fight, will need to increase revenue from else where and we have the possibility of that happening, there are many other clubs in the Premiership who don't have that luxury.

On Field
Yeah, it's not been great has it from a results point of view? 5 losses, second in the league for most points conceded and least amount of points scored, we really are struggling to break defences down, so what's different from last year.

Injuries and lack of strength in depth, obviously. So why does Gary Gold think we are in a better place on field than last year?

Last year on pitch we looked pretty rudderless at times and so far this season despite two pretty green 10s taking to the field I feel we have a much greater structure about us.

Despite the injuries to the front row, our scrum and pack has not been demolished at all and these young players if they stay fit will only get better.

We have missed a decent 9, I have said this before, in todays game particularly with the rule changes a good 9 is more important than the 10 (the 10 or whoever takes kicks does need to have a good kicking percentage though)

The changes at ruck will suite Hougaard, Baldwin and Dowsett, both are quick to the breakdown and will snipe the fringes, not long before they will all be back now.

Last year we beat Sarries at home, an under strength Sarries that was, and despite their injury list this year personally I feel that was a stronger team, ours was pretty much full strength last year.

So with an under strength team we held them to 3 tries, previously this year their average had been 4.5 per game prior to last Friday, despite the loss I was not despondent.

We know we can score tries, but our two key playmaker positions have sustained injuries, and we have been unfortunate, personally I feel we only need one of those positions to be filled and we will see improved results, with both filled with experience who knows.

So we come to a new DOR, this is the first opportunity in years, to offer out the club, a club with a future and a good academy.

Gary Gold was bought in last minute to keep us up.
Dean Ryan, clearly stated he wasn't looking for a role as DOR at the time he was approached and despite his 5 year plan he obviously after a point didn't have his heart in it.
Richard Hill was bought in during the off season, in fact most of our DORs have been bought in during the summer break, we now have time and the opportunity to find the right person.

What I do hope is the club do not let me down on my thoughts of the above.

I know there will be many posters picking this apart after I post it, that is your prerogative, this is just my take on where we are at currently.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net