rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 27-Saturday 28 July Premiership Sevens at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 11 August v Nottingham Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

At the bottom
Posted by: Monkey1_ed
Date: 31/12/2017 12:50
No matter what your views on the effects of promotion & relegation, the fight to avoid relegation could be interesting this season.

Irish are currently adrift with only 9 points, and I really don't know what to take from yesterday's game. First half they looked vulnerable but we had to work hard to score three tries. Second half they nilled us & scored 6 points, and seemed to have plenty of power & determination, but there is the question of this being because we played awful tactics, or did they manage to successfully spoil our game? Either way, they are still recovering from a season in the much slower & less-stimulating Championship, and now that they are getting used to Premiership rugby again I would expect them to improve steadily as the season trundles on, but whether this will be quick enough to save them is impossible to guess.

Next on the ladder is Worcester with 19 points. They took a bonus point against Saracens yesterday, an indication that they can score points against the best. All the indications from an outside perspective give a very poor feel about the club; the club is up for sale, almost certainly under-funded, doesn't seem particularly well run, and Gary Gold is being replaced by an inside candidate. That is not reflected on the pitch however, and my touchy-feely view, my gut instinct which is what I trust more than mere statistics, is that things are starting to click at Sixways and they look a lot brighter as a team. For no reason whatsoever, I think they might do quite well in the second half of the season, and I hope they do because they need a break.

Just as my instincts say Irish will gradually improve over the remaining games, I think Saints are in a downward spiral, and with 22 points I don't think it will be long before Worcester overtake them unless something truly dramatic happens. They are in the worst kind of self-destruction, painfully similar to our relegation season when Alan Tait struggled to motivate a squad that was almost at war with itself. Mallinder has gone, but the rumblings from Northampton have been getting loud since last season, and it surely runs deeper than one man. They were taken apart by Harlequins, not exactly what you would call one of the in-form teams at the moment. 31-0 at half time yesterday says it all, and although they came back in the second half, that was probably down to Quins backing off the pace rather than Saints coming alive, and Quins still managed to match them pretty much point for point to retain their lead.

My guess on what will happen is that Worcester are safe and will tot up points at least as well as they have during the first half of the season. They certainly don't look like a club in a relegation fight, but don't ask me why I think that because I can't explain. I see it as being a contest between Irish & Saints. Will Irish get up to speed quickly enough to take enough points to pass Saints on 22, or will Saints manage to hang on enough to put Irish down? We are certainly still a long way off hearing the fat lady sing.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net