rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: England 22
Posted by: BH Quin
Date: 23/02/2012 09:11
BB, of course there is more than one possible explanation, there almost always is.

But there are some noticeable differences between Evans against Stade and Flood on Sunday.

The conditions, pouring with rain and heavy under foot for the Stade game, bright, sunny and dry for the Tigers game.

Evans was looking for a drop goal from a lot further out than Flood, rejected possession from Care as he didn't appear to be able find firm footing. While from the same distance Flood didn't even drop into the pocket to test the ground, or get a sight.

When Evans ran from the pocket, it might have been because he saw a gap, he certainly got through two. Flood did not get through any gap.

Where I think Flood went wrong, was not his decision to turn inside when he thought he might get charged down, but his reluctance to get into the pocket earlier.

Of course, if Murphy is the designated drop kicker, then he should have been there earlier. Another possibility is that Cockerill has dropped the ball, and despite having a fly half who is known not to be a natural goal kicker, see Tigers board, had not prepared the team for such an event, and Murphy had to think on his feet.

But to get back to my original point, QP suggested that it might have been Floods call to bring Murphy up for the Drop Kick. I don't believe this to be the case, as they should have done this earlier, and once Murphy did step up, why did Flood stay in the pocket for a short while, before slowly returning to the line.

To my mind, he did not have the body language of someone who had made a decisive call.

PS

I do know that none of the above is definitely a fact, and only the players / coaches involved will know the facts. I am also aware that there are other options on how things may have happened. But on the evidence available, I believe this is how events unfolded. I am not saying that any other views are definitely wrong, and if more evidence or a better argued opinion is brought forward, I reserve the right to change my opinion.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net