rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Another false dawn
Posted by: Dark Pies
Date: 24/09/2017 20:52
So back on the topic of whether this is a 'false dawn' and also continuing the discussion started on the (now closed) 'Kingston In' thread....

I said that i felt this block of 3 matches (Wasps/Tigers/Saints) was make or break for our Prem season and proposed we could look at the results like this:

Win 3/3 = KINGSTON IN
Win 2/3 and nobody's really complaining i hope
Win 1/3 and we'll all still be arguing about whether that's good or bad
Win 0/3 = KINGSTON OUT

So we've won 1 of 2...not the one that we thought we'd win but a great win! And yes we are still arguing about whether its all looking good or bad!

For me the Tigers performance was encouraging and above the level we played at most of last season.... it was close and we could have nicked it at the death after all.
BUT still loads of concerns and doubts that we can sustain any improvements through a long season. We are IMO just not a side with strength in depth that can sustain big performances for 9mths of the year...

- Front and back rows looking thin even before internationals depart!
- They seem to have given up on fixing the lineout after 3yrs of having the worst success % in the league.
- Now scrum (generally has been one bright point) also seems underpowered without Marler. Collier and Lambert were absolutely destroyed yesterday, albeit by a very good pack. But if our #2 choices are such a big step down we are never going to compete for Top 4!
- Endless shuffling side-to-side unable to make any gains unless we draw a penalty or Luamanu manages not to drop the ball
- Care, Brown and Robshaw all showing signs of being past their peak form. Still all class, but have not got the x-factor or hunger they all had 5yrs ago.

But some positives of course e.g. Smith is a breath of fresh air and looking forward to seeing Saili play.

Today a load of photos popped up on my social media from one year ago today showing the celebrations after the win against Sarries at home . Last year's 'false dawn' !
At the time my circle of mates felt that we'd turned a corner, but it really marked the beginning of another year of bizarre inconsistency...beating everyone at home except Tigers and Exeter and getting humped away from home time and time again.

I'd love to be wrong but i think many of us in our heart-of-heats know that we're going to get yet another rollercoaster season where we can beat anyone when we're firing, but will misfire and stumble too often to make any real inroads on Top 4, esp when our first choice players are away or injured.

I'm calling it and saying we'll finish 6th again this season, with a QF exit from Europe. #COYQ

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net