rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Dave Ward's shiner
Posted by: Quinky Kin
Date: 03/10/2017 15:46
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
MrOther
The full match video is now is now on the Premiership website.
Dave Ward gets his eye injury from Teimana Harrison at 27 minutes 43-45 seconds.

There is no foul intent (as far as I can see).

There doesn't have to be intent, I believe?

Interesting point.

When is intent relevant? I don't know, but a blow to the face can't be foul play in all circumstances. If I tackle someone haring away from me, catch him round the ankles and get a heel in my face, that can't be foul play. Can it?

(If all contact with the face were foul play a lot of people would have been carded playing against Jacques Burger :-)

I have the feeling that I am missing some obvious point or distinction here.

I agree that it's a little bit vague. I suppose if it were simply careless or reckless, then intent doesn't need to be shown. There was mention elsewhere that Nathan Hughes caused a similar injury accidentally, and was punished?

Hughes handed a defender off with his forearm/elbow. Not sure why people were surprised he got penalised. I'm sure there was no intent to hurt, there never is, is there, but if a 20 stone bloke runs into someone and thrusts their rather large forearm into the defender's face, it is going to hurt.

Which demonstrates the point that intent isn't necessary. I still can't fathom how Ward's eye got injured, but it could have been punishable.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net