rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

An eye for an eye
Posted by: TomDSaint
Date: 25/03/2012 12:52
Like many on the this board I've been hugely frustrated over the years at the inconsistent and at times seemingly arbitrary nature of the citings process, something that seems to have only marginally improved since Judge Blackett handed Elvis Costello back his Wheel of Fortune.

It was therefore wonderful to see one of the Sky commentary team offering a new and enlightened take on the disciplinary proceedings.

When asked not to comment on the Callum Clarke/Rob Hawkins incident Will Greenwood suggested (to a back drop of the incident being shown from multiple angles) "he should be banned for as long as Hawkins is out for…an eye for an eye".

Now we're talking!

However having contemplated Will's suggestion over a slightly reduced sleep, half a bottle of red, some cheese and whilst painting the spare room some of the flaws in Will's suggestion have become more apparent.

What if the player injured performs a Cipriani-esque miracle recovery and returns in two weeks from fracture dislocation of his foot, if this were caused by a deliberate act how could a two week ban be in any way fair?

No, the only way is, and as I'm sure Will intended, for the literal Old Testament interpretation.

I can see it now, 20,000 people crammed in to Welford Road to witness Alessandro Tuilangi attempt to pull Chris Ashton two metres by his hair alone, fly halves from throughout the premiership can line up Jack-Ass style in an attempt to decapitate Chris Hala'ufia using only their shoulders (take note G Pisi). The citings process eventually could turn into a more financial viable facet of the sport than at least 50% of premiership clubs.

This would also stop the gross miscarriage of justice where prop David Attoub is banned for 70 weeks for inflicting no injury what-so-ever.

Should this much needed overall take place the only question is will James Haskell and Stephen Ferris be able to make any time in their soon to be full calendars to play any rugby? Frankly, who cares when Hartley and Ferris are performing their rendition of youtube classic 'Charlie bit my finger' to an audience of millions.

On another note, I've just heard that Judge Blackett would like to go to Chelsea and finds nothing amusing about Peace, Love and Understanding.

Before any one asks, I'm a Saints fan, I have views on the CC incident but would rather not air them here. I'm just disappointed in the plummet of Will Greenwood from decent rugby commentator/pundit to run of the mill Sky rentagob. I just hope Dean Ryan gets out before it's too late

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net