rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Unbelievable Myler
Posted by: HungryLikeTheWolf
Date: 06/10/2017 07:59
Quote:
Nath-coys
Corrrrrr this is a hot thread!!
Agree and disagree with loads of different points above!

IMHO Myler = a top club player. That's not taking anything away from him, in many ways it's the club men that make a successful club tick in there times of success.

Myler was the man for the job at the time.. 'when we had by far the best pack in the league.
It was a case of them saying to Stephen 'put is in the areas of the field and we will win the game' and that is what he did!
Is he the man for how we play currently, probably not.

HLTW agree with lots of your above post accept for the Beauden Barrett bit... He is in no way consistently outstanding yet! Not even close!

Absolutely brilliant in moments yes without a doubt! Able to do things on a pitch I could only dream of yes!!!
But a pretty average kicker when the pressure is on!
Average passer of the ball at times!
Average decision maker when he is closed down quickly!

And probably a better FB than he is a FH.
But still undoubtedly a top player and a joy to watch.

His kicking was pants during the Lions. Interestingly his kicking has really improved in the rugby championship. I'm not sure he can be compared on usual fly half grounds, he carries far more yards than any 10 I've seen which is difficult to directly equate to points. Plus his ability to see space in broken field play. The added value here more than compensated for traditional 10 tactical play, kicking etc IMHO. He is re-defining the position which is quite something when you think about. I'm sure some smart stats guy has a metric.

There is another on the production line - Stephen Perofeta at Taranaki. Wish we'd have signed him and saved 500k....

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net