Latest News:


By Scott Thornton
April 12 2015

Bristol outscored Plymouth by ten tries to one to demonstrate why one side is top of the table and the other is rooted to the bottom.  Plymouth's relegation appeared to have been confirmed but a comeback by Bedford against Moseley means that the fight for survival continues.  Plymouth struggled to gain or keep possession and were scarcely out of their own half for much of the game and Bristol hammered home the gulf in class.

Bristol took an early lead with a well struck Matthew Morgan penalty kick.  Bristol were obviously looking to take points when on offer.  Sadly for Albion points were on offer right from the restart when Bristol got hold of the ball, flashed it through several pairs of hands before Ross McMillan crossed for a converted try.   McMillan’s next act was to collide with Ian Evans.  The giant lock sustained a serious looking injury and was stretchered off.  His replacement Glen Townson then went close after the long break.

Bristol were in no mood to show the relegation threatened hosts any mercy and kept up sustained pressure that Albion were unable to resist.  A well-worked catch and drive saw Olly Robinson claim the honours.   Morgan then showed his excellent pace and balance when he slalomed over beneath the posts following a quick tapped penalty.  The bonus point try was chalked up before the end of the half when Robinson scored his second from another driving lineout move.

But even with the half drawing to a close Bristol simply did not let up on the stunned hosts.  McMillan went close again but was held up by gallant defence, only for the referee to trot behind the posts following an Albion infringement at the consequent scrum leaving the score at half-time an imposing 0 – 36.

All too often in recent seasons Bristol have shot out of the blocks, built a commanding lead and then let sides back into the game.  Would the same happen?  Absolutely not, Dwayne Peel kicked ahead within minutes of the start of the half, gathered up the ball and dotted down for try number six.

Just five minutes later Robinson claimed his hat-trick, latching on to a Peel pass and loping his way beneath the posts.  At 0 – 48 it was clearly all over for Albion but they showed great determination to hit back from the restart when Grace went over from close range.  Cusack converted to make the score 7 – 48.

Perhaps Bristol were about to serve up one of their big wins but with the opposition claiming a try-scoring bonus point?  Sadly that romantic dream was no more than that.   Bristol’s Nick Koster picked up a neat pass to cross for a try that wiped out Plymouth’s effort.  Then Robinson capped a fine display with his fourth try of the afternoon following another good piece of work from his fellow forwards.   Creditably Albion were still trying right until the end but a turnover from a tapped penalty was ruthlessly punished by the visitors with Charlie Amesbury scoring at the death to leave the final score at 7 – 65.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:

12/04/2015 13:32
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015:04:18:08:00:18 by SenorJuan.

WilliamBlessing (IP Logged)
12/04/2015 14:09
Great report.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing