Our much-valued COYSDC contributor, OldPete, mailed this to me (Phil) a couple of weeks ago. I've been keeping it back for the lull between Christmas and New Year - and now, here we are! Go for your lives, good people and remember the laws of the quiz - no flippin' googling!
A FESTIVE SEASON COYSDC QUIZ
A Christmas Quiz
Something to revive or stimulate the brain cells from the lethargy of overindulgence etc.
I am a great fan of “ Only Connect “ where lateral thinking is the order of the day. So several sections reflect that. Once again Google will know the answers particularly in the Miscellany section - but the question is do you ?
Have fun and a Happy Christmas and Peaceful New Year to one and all.
What might connect or link the following
1. Lemon , Lime , Cherry , nut , sky
2. What repeated events ( twice in each case ) connect Northampton with Barnet ( No – it has got nothing to do with Saints and Sarries )
3. Gordon , Whispers , takeaway , lantern
4. Elizabeth 1st - Charles II - Queen Anne , William IV
5. Indira Ghandi , Olaf Palme , Spencer Percival , Hendrik Verwoerd
What might come next and why - in the following sequences.
6. Pat , Betty , Rosalyn, Nancy , Barbara
7. Egypt , Ghana , South Korea ,
8. Illinois, New York , Texas , ….
9. 12, 23, 6, 1, 2, …….
10. ping pong , golf , tennis , ……
Which is the odd one out and why
11. Brass , Bronze Pewter , Aluminium , Magnox
12. Estonia , Ukraine , Mongolia, Georgia , Kazakhstan
5) All were assassinated Prime Ministers / political leaders.
6) Hillary I think (US presidential wives)
11) Aluminium is the only element?
12) Mongolia the only one not in the USSR
14) Greater Manchester - all the rest play county cricket.
ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016:12:28:17:50:05 by Matthew.
13. It's all Greek to me: Aristotle was a philosopher; the rest were playwrights.
8. Maybe something to do with US Presidential candidates: Obama was Senator for Illinois, Hillary Clinton for New York and George W Bush Governor of Texas. Trump is nowhere! But not sure logic entirely works there.
2 . Each had a battle in the Wars of the Roses. Northampton 1460. Barnet 1471.Can't see why twice
19.Treaty of Portsmouth ended the Russo-Japanese War.Early years of 20th C. Not Portsmouth (UK) but USA.
3. Chinese not China. Nickname o Gordon of Khartoum
4. All replaced a sibling on the throne.Although in Anne's case it was her bro-in-law , William 111, who reigned alone after the death of Anne's sister Mary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment.
We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals.
We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards.
If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing