Latest news:
Untitled Document

Harlequins v Bristol Bears LIVE blog
Discussion started by Bristol Post John , 19 September, 2019 07:32
Harlequins v Bristol Bears LIVE blog
Bristol Post John 19 September, 2019 07:32
This season is going to be bigger than ever for the Bristol Bears and our coverage at Bristol Live is going to be bigger than ever as well.

Come and take a look at our live blog, which we will be running for every game this season, with all the build-up to the match, team news, live action, photos, highlights, exclusive interviews, reaction, fan thoughts and analysis.

Please spread the word as we want to spread the gospel that is Bristol rugby.

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Re: Harlequins v Bristol Bears LIVE blog
Bristol Post John 20 September, 2019 19:15
If you are not at The Stoop or watching on tv you can follow here, or come back and get all the reaction and analysis

foinavon 20 September, 2019 21:31
quite entertaining - lots of errors tho and Bris not making much headway - looking a little ponderous and keep turning the ball over - odd handling errors from Bedlow - Stirgazer with tons of time behind the scrum keeps getting his kicks charged down.

I guess it's a good chance for game time for several of the new/fringe players but very little continuity and Bris haven't managed to get a player into space. Batley looks like a good ball carrier. Quins also butchering loads of chances... very pre-seasonal!

inatthebreakdown 20 September, 2019 21:33
I think Pat has played this one correctly. Whatever team you put out is going to be a little rusty, so get some of the fringe and younger players some decent experience and game time.

Motherrucker1982 20 September, 2019 21:50
Funny game - thought some of the young boys did well given the lack of experience amongst them. Slightly disappointed in some of our more seasoned campaigners - game lacked any control and the kicking was woeful to say the least. Not sure many would have done their chances of playing Bath much good. We also rarely looked like breaking Harlequins down and scored through broken play and turnover ball - at times we looked bereft of ideas and just kept running into tackles before losing the ball. Having said that, that was a strong Harlequins B team with pace to burn and we didnít let them cut loose. All in all a pretty rusty and turgid affair.
Must do better Bris!

Wickerman 20 September, 2019 22:19
Oh come on ,it was pretty poor.
Fortunately not the first team so no knee jerk reactions.
But perhaps not quite the strength in depth we hoped.
Early days ,great to see The hoops back in action.
Onwards and upwards.

AndyJB 20 September, 2019 23:00
"great to see The hoops back in action"

Hoops are long gone I'm afraid. Go Bears.

tbr 20 September, 2019 23:52
Just got back.

Protheroe looked dangerous (as always).

Didn't know Pincus could jump that high!

Was a nice night out.

Great to see a few of our "kids" get valuable game experience.

Other than that.... a bit meh (rugby wise).

C'mon Bris.

T J 21 September, 2019 00:42
Best thing any of our players did all night was the huge try-saving hit Sam Bedlow put in on himself, forcing a knock on when under no pressure whatsoever!

Thought Batley had a strong game.

robtheh 21 September, 2019 04:55
Was a typically rusty first proper preseason game... I donít think either side can take much from it.

dpw 21 September, 2019 09:40
PL's post-match thoughts .......................

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

dpw

HairyKane 21 September, 2019 22:13
What an odd game of rugby...

Without wishing to go too over the top in terms of positivity from our point of view, was it / is it an attempt at a rope-a-dope?
We dominated the set piece - clearly laid a marker down there - and then basically showed nothing, apart from a half-baked kick-chase game through a chronically error-ful 80mins.

Obviously personnel will be very different when we are back there on the 26th Oct. Canít help but think the game plan will be very different too.

mat1 21 September, 2019 22:52
From what I hear all going to plan though a win would've been nice

inatthebreakdown 22 September, 2019 14:59
I think it's a sign of how far we've come as a club, that we are now looking at these games to blood promising Academy players and give game time to fringe players.

A year or so ago, we would have put out a strong team to "build momentum" for an expected league battle against relegation (when in fact, that strategy just tends to burn players out later in the season, or worse, injure them)

We're now stronger, and able to accommodate the bigger picture as a result. Academy players can then see a pathway to the Prem with the club, and fringe players know if they put in a performance the opportunity is there.

robtheh 22 September, 2019 15:35
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
I think it's a sign of how far we've come as a club, that we are now looking at these games to blood promising Academy players and give game time to fringe players.
A year or so ago, we would have put out a strong team to "build momentum" for an expected league battle against relegation (when in fact, that strategy just tends to burn players out later in the season, or worse, injure them)

We're now stronger, and able to accommodate the bigger picture as a result. Academy players can then see a pathway to the Prem with the club, and fringe players know if they put in a performance the opportunity is there.

Absolutely agree.
Interesting to think about this, and then see the teams that Irish and Worcester fielded this weekend...

Garym 23 September, 2019 17:22
[quote robtheh][quote inatthebreakdown]......
Absolutely agree.
Interesting to think about this, and then see the teams that Irish and Worcester fielded this weekend...[/quote]

On the other hand , our team (Worcester) only had 4 nailed on starters for the first team in it and the MOM was our 20 year old who got his first full cap at 19. I think our strategy is strongish tea,S for the first 2 and then weaker for the second 2. Will be interesting to see the Bristol team in the 4th game

Letís hope for another competitive season

Rinkadink 24 September, 2019 02:01
I'd say you had quite a few first teamers;

GJV
Mills
Waller
Kitchener
Lance
Shillcock
Fatialofa

Plus new/returning from injury who likely be 1sts

Carey
Montgomery
Ash Beck (didn't he play for Wales?)
Bower?

Mixed with some newer faces you mentioned.

Compared to Tiggers;

15 Freddie Steward, 14 Sam Aspland-Robinson, 13 Joe Thomas, 12 Tom Hardwick, 11 11 Andy Forsyth, 10 Sam Costelow, 9 Jack Van Poortvliet, 1 Facundo Gigena, 2 Charlie Clare, 3 Gaston Cortes, 4 George Martin, 5 Harry Wells (C), 6 Sam Lewis, 7 Tommy Reffell, 8 Ifereimi Boladau.

Replacements | 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Keston Lines, 18 Joe Heyes, 19 Cameron Jordan, 20 Thom Smith, 21 Jonny Law, 22 Johnny McPhillips, 23 George Worth

Which is barely a second string, more like 3rds.

Rinkadink 24 September, 2019 02:33
Whilst doing some research on that Tiggers team I came across [www.leicestertigers.com]

70% academy graduates and one of the youngest sides Leicester has ever fielded.

Not to take the sheen off a good win for Wuss though, I have a feeling they'll go well this coming season.

Garym 24 September, 2019 17:20
I did say nailed on first teamrs as compared to those who have premiership experience 😀

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net