Latest news:
Untitled Document

Forward pass behind own try line?
Discussion started by Rich. , 21 September, 2019 07:37
Forward pass behind own try line?
Rich. 21 September, 2019 07:37
I'm not fully sure it was forward in any case but at the end of the Fiji Australia match Fiji were called back for a forward pass behind their own try line as they tried to break. I always thought it was the case that you couldn't have a forward pass if the ball was passed and was caught behind your own try line. Anyone know for sure?

Great first 50 minutes in particular - glad I got up for it.

Re: Forward pass behind own try line?
tbr 21 September, 2019 08:02
I may be wrong but I always thought this formed part of the dodgy touchline gripe that:
a) There IS no offside in the goal area.
b) Forward passes ARE allowed in the goal area.

But I was always told:
a) There is (obviously) no "PHASE" offside in goal as there are no rucks and scrums etc in goal to form an offside line.... but there IS still normal offside.
b) You still CAN'T pass forward even behind your own goal line.

I may be wrong though .

Grizzly Adams 21 September, 2019 08:40
Didnít Will Greenwood get pinged back in the day for England for a forward pass?
The ball cross the try line he picked it up without tapping it down and threw it forward for a 22 drop-out and a 5m scrum was awarded for a forward pass

Gray_Lensman 21 September, 2019 08:45
A throw forward can occur anywhere in the playing area

Rich. 21 September, 2019 12:50
Quote:
Grizzly Adams
Didnít Will Greenwood get pinged back in the day for England for a forward pass?
The ball cross the try line he picked it up without tapping it down and threw it forward for a 22 drop-out and a 5m scrum was awarded for a forward pass

If the pass crosses the try line before being caught or kicked then that is different (as otherwise someone could do a quarter-back pass for their team mates to chase.)

TimothyQ 21 September, 2019 13:34
Iíve never heard this before and I am certain itís not right. The ball cannot be throw forward anywhere in the playing area which includes the in goal. The breakdown and offside laws change, but Iím certain that it doesnít affect knock on or forward pass.

And yes, I remember the Will Greenwood incident. That was embarrassing.

Pub Singer 21 September, 2019 14:32
Law 11.6: A throw forward may occur anywhere in the playing area. Sanction: Scrum.

Definitions:
Playing area: The field of play plus the in-goal areas. The touch lines, touch-in-goal lines and dead-ball lines are not part of the playing area.

So no you cannot do a forward pass in the in-goal.

Rich. 21 September, 2019 23:20
Thanks pub singer. I wonder if it has changed, especially as in the two matches I refer to the (different) commentators said it was a ref error as it couldn't be a forward pass in the in goal area. Makes sense it is though.

Rich. 22 September, 2019 13:22
On similar theme, during the worst match so far (England v Tonga) Ugo Monte said "can't be offside in the in-goal area"

TimothyQ 22 September, 2019 13:51
Quote:
Rich.
On similar theme, during the worst match so far (England v Tonga) Ugo Monte said "can't be offside in the in-goal area"

Sort of. The offside rule applies anywhere on the playing area (which is the whole area including the in goal) but a ruck or maul can only exist in the field of play (which excludes the in goal).

So you can still be offside in goal, but (so far as I understand it) any offside line at a ruck disappears when the ball goes in goal.

Hercules Spoons 22 September, 2019 16:21
Wasnít that the problem when the referee adjudged Sheedy offside when the maul was within the ingoal area v Exe last season?
Although I never heard an official statement as to why the penalty try was awarded but hey, Iím only a paying spectator

Arjay 22 September, 2019 19:55
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Wasnít that the problem when the referee adjudged Sheedy offside when the maul was within the ingoal area v Exe last season?
Although I never heard an official statement as to why the penalty try was awarded but hey, Iím only a paying spectator

Perhaps because the Ref got it wrong?

TimothyQ 22 September, 2019 21:51
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

Was this the penalty try? I remember the issue being that the chiefs backs started running towards the maul before the line out was over.

Rich. 22 September, 2019 21:57
Quote:
TimothyQ
Quote:
Rich.

Sort of. The offside rule applies anywhere on the playing area (which is the whole area including the in goal) but a ruck or maul can only exist in the field of play (which excludes the in goal).

So you can still be offside in goal, but (so far as I understand it) any offside line at a ruck disappears when the ball goes in goal.

Thanks Timothy

Hercules Spoons 22 September, 2019 22:08
TimothyQ
The whole thing was a morass of confusion to me which, to my knowledge has never been explained to the spectators

mat1 22 September, 2019 22:54
The ref said 10 and 12 offside. Sheedy 10 wasn't and hurrell 12 wasn't involved at all so...

Rinkadink 23 September, 2019 00:14
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
No, the referee claimed "the Bristol centre" (which was actually Sheedy) joined from the side and key; collapsed the maul.

In reality nobody joined from the side and the maul wasn't collapsed, ball was held up. It would have been end of game. He didn't even check with TMO which would have shown everything was actually fine and it's why he hasn't been in charge of a major game since. Legitimately cost us the match with a poor call which could (should) have been easily checked.

I am all for second chances though so hope lesson learned and he becomes a top ref. We will miss Barnes, I think

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net