Latest news:
Untitled Document

Boks strategy
Discussion started by gran , 04 November, 2019 20:08
Boks strategy
gran 04 November, 2019 20:08
Their coach says they have two sets of world class front fives, hence their bench line up. They do 40 minutes each and not 60 mi utes for one set and 20 minutes for the other set.
Seemed to make much sense to me given their success. Also seems to me that we are asking a huge amount of our world class tight head afoa to keep him on for most of the game. Also should we have a similar approach and do we have the requisite two sets of front five players?
Comments?

Re: Boks strategy
in between 04 November, 2019 20:21
Quote:
gran
Their coach says they have two sets of world class front fives, hence their bench line up. They do 40 minutes each and not 60 mi utes for one set and 20 minutes for the other set.
Seemed to make much sense to me given their success. Also seems to me that we are asking a huge amount of our world class tight head afoa to keep him on for most of the game. Also should we have a similar approach and do we have the requisite two sets of front five players?
Comments?

I think itís something Pat could look at or is looking at. The importance of remaining dominant at the scrum all game will win you most games.

JamboBris 04 November, 2019 21:03
If we had the boks front row they I imagine we would do the same. Unfortunately the salary cap comes in to play. Been impressed so far with our pack to be fair so far.

AlexInSouthville 04 November, 2019 21:05
Quote:
gran
Comments?

Personally, my biggest takeaway from seeing that is that there should be a limit to 5 substitutes (including a full front row). Itís insane that over half of the team can now be replaced.

Rich. 04 November, 2019 22:09
Agree Alex and World Rugby are looking at reducing the number of substitutes as one option. Ideally I think you would want all players to have to play 80 minutes unless there was a genuine injury - as this means players will be tired in the second half which will create more space for running rugby and it will also lead to players being less heavy with the positive impact on injuries.

I don't think it will go as far as I hope but I think we will see a reduction soon and that will be good news for the game. People like Warren Gatland have been calling for it for a while now.

Peter_B 04 November, 2019 22:58
Mr Lam usually starts bringing on replacements around the fifty minute mark rather than waiting till the 60ís and 70s. It would be interesting to know what point in the game Afoa tends to go off.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

JMills 04 November, 2019 23:31
Most games last season Afoa stayed on for the majority of the match, possibly because of the quality of the replacements. In the two home games so far he appeared to come off a bit earlier with Lahiff a stronger option in the bench. At Quins I think he played the full 80 when Thiede was on thr bench

Prop Joe 05 November, 2019 07:50
In his last season for Gloucester, Afoa tended to play the until the last 10 - 15 minutes though.

Stevie_Wonder 05 November, 2019 08:58
On a slightly related subject of not wanting to use subs, itís been interesting to see how Ioan Lloyd has been used so far. Itís great that heís catapulted in to the squad, but Pat hasnít trusted him at his preferred position of 10 yet. Sheedy has played all 240 minutes. If Madigan was on the bench would that have been the same? Would Mads have been trusted with the last ten mins on Friday night, or against Bath? Against Quins Lloyd didnít even get on.

Itís an interesting one. Itís great blooding these youngsters, but there is obviously hesitancy in throwing them right in. And if thatís the case then should they really be in the squad for these vital games? What if Sheedy had gone down injured after five mins on Friday?

Hercules Spoons 05 November, 2019 09:27
If Sheedy had gone off after 5mins we'd have found out how good Ioan Lloyd is.

Whilst there is an element of a gamble in his selection I don't believe Lam would risk it unless he was fairly confident the lad could cope. I think Quins used Marcus Smith at about that age and Wasps used Cipriani too?

JamboBris 05 November, 2019 09:40
To be fair to lloyd he seems to be taking it all in his stride. I know this is in hindsight but I'd argue going in on the wing in those conditions against sale with all the kicking given his size was arguably more testing than slotting in at 10.

Hercules Spoons 05 November, 2019 09:59
Maybe we'll see more of him in the European games?

Stevie_Wonder 05 November, 2019 12:57
My comment about Lloyd wasn't a slight on him at all, I think he's been brilliant and as you say, taken it all in his stride. Giving him that last conversion against Bath and him nailing it was brilliant and a sign of his confidence.

My point is more about Pat. He obviously has faith in Ioan to have him in the squad, but something has stopped him giving him any game time at 10 for the past three games. And I'm not sure that if we had Madigan (or any other experienced 10) on the bench that would have been the same outcome.

And if Pat is finding that when the heat is on at the back end of a game, the crux of it is that he doesn't want to throw an 18 year old in to battle, then he probably shouldn't be on the bench for those games? Hopefully we'll see him given some time at FH in the euros, would be great to see what he can do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net