Latest news:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Saracens penalty
Discussion started by JamboBris , 05 November, 2019 10:47
Saracens penalty
JamboBris 05 November, 2019 10:47
Multiple sources now reporting a 35 point deduction and £5m fine about to be announced today. Interested to see what they then have to do with their squad this season as presumably still over cap..

Re: Saracens penalty
Gray_Lensman 05 November, 2019 10:51
I think the multiple sources are, in fact, the same source in multiple locations. Not saying it isn't true but given how the last set of allegations came to nothing we might not hear a thing

Re: Saracens penalty
Gray_Lensman 05 November, 2019 10:53
Oops. Shows what I know

Re: Saracens penalty
TimothyQ 05 November, 2019 11:00
I expect there will be an appeal, but I will be interested to read the details when they come out. I expect the full report will be published here [www.sportresolutions.co.uk] at some point.

Re: Saracens penalty
Hercules Spoons 05 November, 2019 11:00
Are they being allowed to continue with the current arrangement?

Re: Saracens penalty
memnoch 05 November, 2019 11:12
The prem table has been updated. Saracens now bottom on -26 points.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 11:12 by memnoch.

Re: Saracens penalty
TimothyQ 05 November, 2019 11:13
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Are they being allowed to continue with the current arrangement?

Donít know yet. I expect we will get more details soon. Hopefully they publish the report, but I think this might be delayed until after any appeal.

Re: Saracens penalty
Peter D 05 November, 2019 11:13

Re: Saracens penalty
Hercules Spoons 05 November, 2019 11:13
Gets our neighbours off the bottom?

Re: Saracens penalty
AlexInSouthville 05 November, 2019 11:16
It will be interesting to see what they are expected to do with their existing squad - whether they are obliged to immediately release players, whether they have until end of the season, etc.

I still don't think they will finish bottom, though.

Re: Saracens penalty
memnoch 05 November, 2019 11:23
Just seen this on Twitter. A good point raised I feel.

The challenge is if all these bonuses and extras are contractual they will still owe the players this money and this year they'll be over their salary cap, what does this mean another fine another points reduction in 2019-20?
They'll have to offload players mid contract

Re: Saracens penalty
TimothyQ 05 November, 2019 11:25
Quote:
memnoch
Just seen this on Twitter. A good point raised I feel.
The challenge is if all these bonuses and extras are contractual they will still owe the players this money and this year they'll be over their salary cap, what does this mean another fine another points reduction in 2019-20?
They'll have to offload players mid contract

Donít quote me on this, but Iíve got a feeling that termination fees count as part of the cap...this could be messy, really messy.

Re: Saracens penalty
Old Bristolian 05 November, 2019 11:26
Should have been a lot more points in my view. This amounts to 7 five point wins. Not enough to reflect the gravity of the situation.

Re: Saracens penalty
Ernie Ball 05 November, 2019 11:29
If Sarries are to comply within salary cap with immediate effect (ie off load players) it would be difficult for them to avoid relegation. Even if they are given time, this news will have a big impact on morale.
This will certainly make all clubs think long and hard about salary cap compliance.

Re: Saracens penalty
AlexInSouthville 05 November, 2019 11:31
Quote:
Old Bristolian
Should have been a lot more points in my view. This amounts to 7 five point wins. Not enough to reflect the gravity of the situation.

Fair point...losing 7 or so league games this year stacks up relatively favourably against all the domestic titles that their over-Cap squad won

Re: Saracens penalty
JRZ92 05 November, 2019 11:38
Now showing on BBC Sport website

Re: Saracens penalty
TimothyQ 05 November, 2019 11:42
Statement from Premiership Rugby

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

Re: Saracens penalty
Rich. 05 November, 2019 11:54
This bit in that statement from Premiership Rugby statement -

Under the Regulations, Saracens Rugby Club has the ability to seek a review of the decision by an arbitration body. The review can only be on the basis that there has been an error of law, the decision is irrational or that there has been some procedural unfairness. In the event that Saracens Rugby Club seeks a review, the sanctions will be suspended pending the outcome of that review.

So as soon as their appeal is submitted the official table, at least, will not show them with points deducted.

Lets hope for everyone's benefit that the appeal process won't take too long

Re: Saracens penalty
memnoch 05 November, 2019 12:00
Quote:
Rich.
This bit in that statement from Premiership Rugby statement -
Under the Regulations, Saracens Rugby Club has the ability to seek a review of the decision by an arbitration body. The review can only be on the basis that there has been an error of law, the decision is irrational or that there has been some procedural unfairness. In the event that Saracens Rugby Club seeks a review, the sanctions will be suspended pending the outcome of that review.

So as soon as their appeal is submitted the official table, at least, will not show them with points deducted.


Lets hope for everyone's benefit that the appeal process won't take too long

Yep prem table has been changed back.

Re: Saracens penalty
Hercules Spoons 05 November, 2019 12:06
Our neighbours back to bottom then?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net