Latest news:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Well played
Cunning Stunts 11 November, 2019 12:03
In all honesty, it wasn't well played by Bris in so many areas! 17 handling errors for instance and lots of pens conceded. Despite this, the heart and fight this squad showed was just ridiculously impressive. Exeter were poor but they weren't allowed any easy yards as we fought them and never gave up all over the pitch.
I was so impressed by Sheedy's kicking at goal, our game plan and confidence in the second half, the line out and maul at the end were the best I've ever seen in 30 years as a Bris fan.

9 of the 15 that finished the game were 26 or under:
Lloyd Age 18
Capon Age 20
Holmes Age 23
Uren Age 23
Fricker Age 24
O'Connor Age 24
Sheedy Age 24
Thomas Age 26
Vui Age 26

Wow. So much respect for Pat Lam and the boys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 12:04 by Cunning Stunts.

foinavon 11 November, 2019 12:22
Quote:
airdog
well certainly well done in the second half but yesterday was an example of what we have seen so many times before namely we only managed to compete for half the game .
If we are to continue this good run Pat is going to have to get them to play like they did in the second half for the whole 80 minutes as we were so lucky to get away this time but doubt we will be so fortunate again .

It may be difficult to play the second half rugby for the full 80 mins. I get the impression that Bris try to make a dramatic start in games with a high energy expansive first 10 mins, but then mostly try to stay in touch so that we can bring in our high energy expansive game again against a tired defense in the last 10-20 mins. I haven't seen the stats but impression is we tend to do much of our decisive scoring near the end of the game. The fact that our defense has improved a little more this year (especially against the driving maul as someone remarked earlier) means that this strategy (if it's true!) is effective.

Standardprocedure 11 November, 2019 14:58
Don't think I've seen mention of it yet, but it deserves it...Will Capon's absolute dart to the back of the lineout which set-up the driving maul was incredible. A lot of pressure on a Prem debutant and he handled it very well

gaudi 11 November, 2019 15:03
......and to be fair to Healy for once that came across in his chat, that and the b*lls to try it.

Mustnít forget the presence of mind and occasion in SLís wrap up when BT talked about courage to try it his rebuttal was along the lines , weíre just going our jobs, courage was displayed by those in the forces remembered today!

What a man.

youngone 11 November, 2019 20:12
I know it's such a common occurrence that it barely warrants mentioning but luatua was immense yesterday. The amount of vital work he gets through every game is phenomenal.

Morahan was also class yesterday with his limited possession and I've not, before yesterday, noticed how ferocious Randall's defence is. Fair play to the little man. Whilst we looked poor in the first half the only real concern I had watching that game was sheedys kicking for territory off. I would have said over the past two years kicking was an area of his game which needed improvement and, to his credit, his tactical offensive kicking and goal kicking have come on leaps and bounds but he still struggles to get good regular distance from hand (he gets the distance, but not the direction to gain a good touch). I think this is the next key step for him to develop into a world class ten. Also, as he will likely be our 10 this year we will need all the yards we can get if we are to continue with this pragmatic territory based approach as the default.

Jimeno 12 November, 2019 07:46
Quite agree.

I often think he could have got another 5 metres on a penalty to touch.

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

peter j 12 November, 2019 08:42
Sometimes with fly halves going for touch with pens, if they get greedy they miss touch an give advantage back to opposition, as Slade did on Sunday when if he found touch deep in our 22 mtre ,they may have gon further ahead, and put them out of sight, so maybe its better for Sheedy to make sure of his touch and we then go from there .

foinavon 12 November, 2019 12:58
yes two of the things that stand out with particularly successful teams:

(i) The ability to find touch with long penalty kicks

(ii) competing for the ball on attacking box kicks - it's the difference between simply handing the ball back to the opposition and keeping attacks moving forward. It really annoys me to see a chaser or two reach the catcher before the ball lands and just allow him to take the ball. It takes a certain amount of skill and bravery to keep an eye on the ball and jump to try to catch it but it makes a massive difference - e.g. the influence of Liam Williams, Leigh Halfpenny and (esp) Dan Bigger to name only Welsh players. David lemi was possibly as good as anyone for Bris in recent times...and Bernardo Stortoni a few years back!

Rich. 12 November, 2019 13:47
Yes understandably attacking players in particular are wary about competing for a high ball in case they end up touching the defender while the defender is in the air. But as you say foinavon, too often it means a box kick in particular just hands the (hard-earned) ball back to the Oppo and gains little field position either. Fair enough if, as an attacker, you have at least one team mate with you and you time it so you put in a great tackle as soon as the oppo hits the ground (and then hope to steal it) but .... England simply let the Boks have it time after time in the final and the Boks just said thanks very much!

Albertfromla 13 November, 2019 09:37
Watching the high lights video on the offy, what a tackle by Piers O Conner on Hogg, POC is turning into a fine player, both in defence and attack.

Standardprocedure 13 November, 2019 13:58
Given what Eddie Jones said immediately following the WC (about the old England team being done and that he'd be starting afresh next year), it wouldn't surprise me to see POC plus Sheedy and Uren included in the EPS ahead of the 6Ns. The first two did fine against the BaaBaas in the summer, and Randall was identified as a promising prospect whom (IMHO) hasn't played as well as Uren so far this year.

Rich. 13 November, 2019 14:46
I think what Randall would give England, however, is the speed to break down (and therefore quicker ball away before the oppo defence re-sets) and speed of run which is great to have in a second half i particular. I'm hopeful World Rugby will soon limit substitutions to about 3 a game and if and when they do that will help Randall even more against a tiring defence

Arry Dart 13 November, 2019 22:40
Quote:
Rich.
I think what Randall would give England, however, is the speed to break down (and therefore quicker ball away before the oppo defence re-sets) and speed of run which is great to have in a second half i particular. I'm hopeful World Rugby will soon limit substitutions to about 3 a game and if and when they do that will help Randall even more against a tiring defence
I think you're short sighted assumption on what young Harry Randall can, or cannot give England, maybe a tad off the mark Rich.....He has represented Wales in the past, and as a consequence he has been on their radar for some time. Oh, and as an aside, I think you will find that Sheeds, who has only represented England v Baa baas, and this fixture is not recognised as an official cap, has, since the recent long term injuries to the Welsh fly half pair,Anscombe and Patchell, and, his very good start to the season for Bristol, and the fact he is Welsh,has certainly put him a position were you could well see him in and around the Welsh squad come the Six Nations.......Just be careful of what you wish for my friend.

Rich. 14 November, 2019 07:05
I'm confused Arry - which bit was short sighted? + I never mentioned Sheeds + what am I wishing for? Not a white Christmas for sure!

Hercules Spoons 14 November, 2019 13:59
Arry, I cannot find a record of Harry having represented Wales
Our Offy states that he represented England at all age groups?

Whagwan 14 November, 2019 15:25
[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Played Wales U-16 and U-18s as was living in Wales, but Eng U20s and regards himself as English

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net