Latest news:
Untitled Document

Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Who is still to renew?
James_P 02 June, 2020 22:10
Bates is a winger I thought? Arscherl played 12 in the prem cup when he came on I think, Eden could slot in at 12 if needed too I would think?

Cotman 03 June, 2020 10:53
Quote:
Sit_Down
UPDATED TO REFLECT CURRENT POSITION:
20/21 Squad as of 19/05/20. New signings in bold

TH
Sinkler
Afoa
Lahiff
Armstrong

LH
Woolmore
Y. Thomas

HOOKER
Thacker
Capon

2nd ROW
Vui
Hawkins
Attwood
Joyce
Holmes

BACK ROW
Luatua
Hughes
D. Thomas
M. Eadie
Heenan
Earl (Loan)

SCRUM HALF
Randall
Uren
Cook

FLY HALF
Sheedy
Lloyd
Eden
Malins (Loan)

CENTRE
Bedlow
O'Conor
Radradra
S. Piutau

BACK 3
C. Piutau
Morahan
Leiua
Naulago
Fricker
Purdy

LEAVING (confirmed)
Crane (retirement)
Muldowney (retirement)
Protheroe (Ospreys)
Pincus (Rebels)
N. Thomas (Ospreys)
Madigan (Ulster)
Stirzaker (Montauban)
Thiede (Club tbc)
Hurrell (retirement)
Malton (released)
Batley (Worcester)
Chamberlain (Edinburgh)

Lahiff and Hamilton are lone signings which I presume for only 1 year I can see Lahiff name above so I take it he has re signed (I didn't see it published anywhere)
Same situation with Hamilton.
I'd like to see them both stay if we have room.

LA Angel 03 June, 2020 11:19
Quote:
Cotman

Lahiff and Hamilton are lone signings which I presume for only 1 year I can see Lahiff name above so I take it he has re signed (I didn't see it published anywhere)
Same situation with Hamilton.
I'd like to see them both stay if we have room.

Lahiff signed a new one year agreement in January

[www.google.com]

Re Hamilton; given we've signed Eadie and Earl I suspect that he'll be off to pastures new.

TimothyQ 03 June, 2020 11:19
A ball playing 12 would complete the back line in a perfect world, but I’m pretty happy with Bedlow and SP. Bedlow might be a bit of a blunt instrument, but the direct running holds defenders inside and his distribution is actually pretty good.

It looks like Eden has packed on a bit of mass over the last couple of years, so I think they might be trying to develop him into that position. Likewise, the young guy who has just been promoted to the integrated academy looks like a big lad, so he might develop into a 12. Ascherl looks like a classical midfield player, so it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Unless someone perfect available (someone like Devoto or Francis), we’re likely to recruit anyone new at 12 IMO.

JMills 03 June, 2020 11:46
From looking at the current squad list the only players that I haven't seen an update for are as follows:
Bryan Byrne - Pat Lam did say he could earn a contract but if/when the season restarts we are likely to have Thacker back so he is unlikely to get much chance to impress

Adrian Choat- On loan and hasn't been near the first team squad. Would expect him to return to NZ.

Luke Daniels - Rumoured to be moving on and with our back 3 options looking very strong I would expect this to happen.

Ryan Edwards - Had injuries and been sent out on loan. Similar to Luke Daniels may be surplus to requirements but also potentially a cheap option as back up.

Ollie Dawe - Been in and around the first team, could stay as quite light on props.

Luke Hamilton - Would like him to stay but as others have mentioned we are looking very strong in the back row.

James Lay and Jordan Lay - Neither have played much but if the price is right then maybe one or both will be extended to cover Woolmore and Yann Thomas.

EalOne 03 June, 2020 13:36

Cotman 03 June, 2020 13:36
BRISTOL BEARS ANNOUNCES RETAINED LIST

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3RD 2020

Bristol Bears have confirmed their retained squad list from July 1st, 2020.

With nineteen players leaving, Pat Lam welcomes seven new signings, with Semi Radradra, Kyle Sinckler, Chris Cook and Mitch Eadie joining the club from July 1st.

Saracens loan duo, Ben Earl and Max Malins are set to arrive in August, with Fijian flyer Siva Naulago expected in the Autumn.

Lam has invested in home grown talent from the Academy to bolster his squad numbers. Six players join the Integrated Academy as Tom Wilstead, Deago Bailey, Andrew Turner, Harry Ascherl, Freddie Owsley and Fitz Harding agree professional terms, while Ben Bamber, Jack Bates, Blake Boyland, Alex Groves, George Kloska and Ioan Lloyd make up a 12-man group who will train full-time with the senior squad.

The nineteen players confirmed to be leaving, include Ryan Edwards after eight seasons at the club, and Jordan Crane, who retires following an impressive 16-year career.

Will Hurrell, Aly Muldowney and Tom Lindsay join Crane in retiring from rugby after making significant contributions to the professional game.

Ian Madigan will join Ulster after a three-year spell at the club, Nic Stirzaker has signed for French Pro D2 side Montauban, Joe Batley joins Worcester Warriors while Mat Protheroe and Nicky Thomas return home to the Ospreys in the Pro14.

Lewis Thiede, Shaun Malton, Luke Daniels, Sam Graham and Ollie Dawe all depart for the Championship

International duo James and Jordan Lay will head home to New Zealand, along with Adrian Choat, who returns to play for Auckland. Luke Hamilton and Bryan Byrne depart after short-term agreements.

Director of Rugby Pat Lam said: "We had a very emotional online team farewell to honour all our leavers last Friday, but I would like to publically thank all our departing players for contributing to our journey during their time at Bristol Bears. Whether Foundation Bears or with us from last season, all these men have committed themselves to the club and our vision on and off the field – we are extremely grateful for that.

“I believe all those that are moving on leave the programme as better players and better people through the time and commitment they put into their own growth, as well as to the team and the development of this club. They've all played their part and we wish them the very best for the future.

“Although the pandemic means we had to recognise our leavers online compared to what we would do in a normal season, everybody will be welcomed back to celebrate the part they played for Bristol Bears at the conclusion of the 2019/20 season.”

2020/21 SQUAD (*DENOTES INTEGRATED ACADEMY)

Tighthead prop

John Afoa
Jake Armstrong
Kyle Sinckler

Loosehead prop

Max Lahiff
Yann Thomas
Jake Woolmore
Andrew Turner*

Hooker

Will Capon
Harry Thacker
George Kloska*

Second row

Dave Attwood
John Hawkins
Ed Holmes
Joe Joyce
Chris Vui
Ben Bamber*
Alex Groves*

Back row

James Dun
Mitch Eadie
Ben Earl
Jake Heenan
Nathan Hughes
Steven Luatua
Dan Thomas
Fitz Harding*

Scrum half

Chris Cook
Harry Randall
Andy Uren
Blake Boyland*

Fly half

Tiff Eden
Callum Sheedy
Ioan Lloyd*
Tom Wilstead*

Centre

Sam Bedlow
Piers O’Conor
Siale Piutau
Charlie Powell
Semi Radradra
Harry Ascherl*
Jack Bates*

Back three

Toby Fricker
Alapati Leiua
Max Malins
Luke Morahan
Siva Naulago
Charles Piutau
Henry Purdy
Deago Bailey*
Freddie Owsley*

Leaving

Bryan Byrne
Joe Batley
Adrian Choat
Jordan Crane – retiring
Luke Daniels
Ollie Dawe
Ryan Edwards
Sam Graham
Luke Hamilton
Will Hurrell – retiring
James Lay
Jordan Lay
Tom Lindsay – retiring
Ian Madigan
Shaun Malton
Aly Muldowney – retiring
Mat Protheroe  
Nic Stirzaker
Lewis Thiede

TAGS:BRISTOL BEARS

LATEST NEWS

Bristol Bears announces retained list

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3RD 2020

Statement from Professional Game Board

TUESDAY, JUNE 2ND 2020

Premiership Rugby clubs support Lord Myners’ recommendations

TUESDAY, JUNE 2ND 2020

Tom Lindsay calls time on playing career

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 13:39 by Cotman.

youngone 03 June, 2020 13:44
Mixed feelings about all that. I think that centre list suggests there will be no 12 incoming although theres certainly a sufficient pool of talent there providing injuries don't ravage. Its a shame about Hamilton as well but i understand the decision based on the numbers of players we have signed int he back room and the promotion of Dun and Harding. Also, i didn't realise Naulago was absent until Autumn, he may well not be fully up to speed until xmas time given our culture/style being quite specific.

It's only the front row where we seem light. Do we have enough there to compete in the prem, europe and A-League ? With Sinckler being called up for England? Surely one injury and we are toast....

In lam we trust!

Cotman 03 June, 2020 13:49
Big team 49 players is there a max limit to how many players a team can have?

Peter D 03 June, 2020 14:01
Quote:
Cotman

Never heard that there is - but, there is maximum amount of money you can spend on them (apart from the marquee players).

Gray_Lensman 03 June, 2020 14:24
Plus academy credits

EverOptimistic 03 June, 2020 14:31
Quote:
Cotman

If you exclude academy there are 37. IMO a relatively small squad.. Strong though.

RJC 03 June, 2020 14:59
I think that's the smallest first team squad we've had in a long time, back in the Robinson days we had upwards of 45 excluding senior academy players.

I can't help but feel that Covid has cost some players contracts.

A-league and cup games will be primarily fringe, senior academy and scholarship players (much like this season).
If we're in the Champions cup next season then I can see the first team being rotated between cup and league games.

Regarding props, I think we're strong there, with great to world class players both side of the scrum, but it only takes two injuries and we would be struggling. Same at hooker, fully back Capon and Thacker, but with only Kloska at back back up we're light and one injury away from a problem.

I presume that will be where injury dispensation comes in, like how we got Hamilton & Purdy this season.

It's a strong squad with quality all over the park and some real leaders in the group, fingers crossed for next season (and the resumption of this season!)

Bris21 03 June, 2020 15:24
Is worth bearing in mind we may be about to see a significant change to the rugby season. With this season being delayed, it may be the perfect opportunity to shift to a Jan-October calendar as has been widely discussed at World Rugby level meaning our new Fijian would be available.

I would imagine there will be 4-6 weeks of training before the season started taking us to a start date of 1st week in July. Potentially two months left of rounds taking us to the start of September with play-offs at the end of September. With the new calendar that would mean October-December off before the season starts again in January.

What is interesting is if that is the case, Malins and Earl would be available for any play offs should we make them... I would also assume from that article that from 1 July, those players designated as leaving will be playing no further part for us.

On a side note, Powell and Bates played Centre in the academy from 13-18s so have plenty of experience there.

TimothyQ 03 June, 2020 15:41
I'm not at all surprised by the small (non-academy) squad, to be honest.

The only really sustainable way to attract these big players and stay under the cap is to either lean heavily on the academy OR offer opportunities to guys in the championship. Sale do this brilliantly, running with a small, talented squad and an excellent academy.

I am pleased that Pat has decided to trust the academy and I doubt he would have done so if he didn't think these guys were ready to stake a claim in the first XV.

I'd have liked for us to retain Malton and Hamilton, but lean squad means more opportunities, and it's great that guys like Kloska don't have loads of traffic in front of them.

It's interesting that Lahiff is listed as a LH and Malins as a back-three player. I still expect a three-way battle for the ten shirt between Lloyd, Malins and Sheedy.

Rinkadink 03 June, 2020 23:27
Gutted about Hamilton, thought he's been outstanding and seemed to fit in well. Malton I can understand going to championship for more game time/regular starting slot (he is a prem standard player though) but has Hamilton even got anything lined up in rugby?

Perhaps he'd rather spend time on business but it doesn't say he's retired so guess he would sign for an offer. Don't understand why we haven't extended at all. We're not exactly deep at #8 plus he can cover 4-7 in a pinch and has a broad skillset. Would be a great asset to most clubs but especially ours RN. Is it the signing of Earle that's done it? Unless the latter stays for longer than a year I'm not sure it's a good trade.

BS7 04 June, 2020 06:50
Shame about Daniels as well but he has been really unlucky with injuries. Each time he gets a run, he gets injured, or so it seemed. Didn't think Fricker was better but as always, there are many elements that are considered in these decisions. Best of luck and huge thanks to those players leaving.

Gray_Lensman 04 June, 2020 08:03
Quote:
Rinkadink
Gutted about Hamilton, thought he's been outstanding and seemed to fit in well. Malton I can understand going to championship for more game time/regular starting slot (he is a prem standard player though) but has Hamilton even got anything lined up in rugby?
Perhaps he'd rather spend time on business but it doesn't say he's retired so guess he would sign for an offer. Don't understand why we haven't extended at all. We're not exactly deep at #8 plus he can cover 4-7 in a pinch and has a broad skillset. Would be a great asset to most clubs but especially ours RN. Is it the signing of Earle that's done it? Unless the latter stays for longer than a year I'm not sure it's a good trade.

Completely with you about Hamilton. Very strange decision.

Furriner 04 June, 2020 08:28
Likewise disappointed Hamilton isn’t staying. Injury free he’s been a great player for years.

I wasn’t surprised to see Ollie Dawe’s name on the leavers’ list because he’s been given so little game time at Bris it seemed obvious he didn’t fit. Anyone heard where he’s going?

John Denver 04 June, 2020 09:51
As soon as we heard that Mitch Eadie was returning, I think it put the retention of Luke Hamilton in doubt. ME did not really kick-on at Northampton but a Bristol boy returning possibly swung any decision between the two in his favour. However, I merely see him as a squad player providing cover

Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net