Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision to slash funding by 50%
Gray_Lensman 15 February, 2020 07:45
I think Imperial couldn't because of the ban on tabacco advertising

foinavon 15 February, 2020 12:41
Quote:
gran
Yes where are the big boys re sponsorship? . We are undoubtedly appreciative of all of our sponsors and they are invaluable. But there are a number of local firms who appear missing, and who might just reflect on the benefits of early identification with a successful Bristol over the next few years.
Imperial Brands
Rolls Royce
Airbus
Bae
Any others I've missed ?

Dyson? grinning smiley

Prop Joe 15 February, 2020 13:59
ALD Automotive are one of the biggest local companies. Didn't they have a minor shirt sponsorship a few years back, seem to recall their logo on one of our shirts somewhere? Also Computershare are a big local employer. Hargreaves Lansdown, though never heared of them!!! Must admit to have Rolls Royce on our shirts would look great, and a big statement!

BS7 15 February, 2020 15:30
Quote:
foinavon
Quote:
gran
Yes where are the big boys re sponsorship? . We are undoubtedly appreciative of all of our sponsors and they are invaluable. But there are a number of local firms who appear missing, and who might just reflect on the benefits of early identification with a successful Bristol over the next few years.
Imperial Brands
Rolls Royce
Airbus
Bae
Any others I've missed ?

Dyson? grinning smiley

Mitsubishi Shogun? grinning smiley grinning smiley
(You can tell I'm avoiding decorating!)

Jimeno 15 February, 2020 15:37
The aerospace companies would probably be better off sponsoring Toulouse.(Sm163)

¡Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

hooter 15 February, 2020 17:55
Think you’ll find they already do

Hercules Spoons 19 February, 2020 10:23
As a matter of interest: if the Championship didn't exist in its present form where would a player like Henry Purdy have gone when Glos didn't renew his Contract?

Would he have been lost to top flight rugby forever?

I was surprised to hear PL's casual response to the question of RFU Championship funding when asked on the TV on Sunday. We have profited from advancing the playing careers of quite a few of our squad and continue to profit by loaning out younger players for real life rugby experience.

Does anyone else think we've lost something in the Prem this year with the threat of relegation being lifted?

Graham_U 19 February, 2020 10:44
Hamilton was working in a bar when we recruited him, who for me has been as good a signing as Purdy, although don't think Pat agrees. There will always be a lower level of rugby, but the gap will be bigger as it will be part-time or am. The PRL needs to take responsibility for all pro club rugby as they get all the income from it, and let the currently cash strapped RFU look after the grass roots who will need a lot of help given the recent weather.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Hercules Spoons 19 February, 2020 11:34
It depends what you see as the RFU’s role Graham.

I’m not sure if they know what it is any longer. As I see it they’ve lost control of the top clubs and are now abdicating responsibility for the next tier.

They have got themselves into the financial difficulties they have currently

Gray_Lensman 19 February, 2020 11:35
The RFU has a finite pot of cash. Spend it in one area and you can't spend it in another. The question is whether money spent on the Championship is better spent there than other areas of the game. I'm increasingly of the view that PRL should take control of the Championship and allow the RFU to devote its resources to the rest of the game. I'd probably go further and ban payments below that level

SimonG19 19 February, 2020 12:36
I'd rather the RFU spent less on themselves as a start.

Gray_Lensman 19 February, 2020 13:43
The RFU has lost 30% of its staff in the past couple of years, so yes, it is spending less on itself

SimonG19 19 February, 2020 15:14
I think we all know there are many more cuts particularly to perks and expense budgets that they could make.

Gray_Lensman 19 February, 2020 15:40
Perks and expenses make good headlines but they aren't where the bulk of the money is spent.

AGS 20 February, 2020 10:44
Let's not forget that the increase in funding, including the money from PRL (who since then have received their big CVC payouts) was made on the condition that the playoffs were scrapped.

So if the PRL and RFU want to proceed with this I think that due to the highly uneven playing field between the relegated club with its parachute payments, and the championship, they should threaten to bring back the playoffs and a possible £1m salary cap.

SimonG19 20 February, 2020 11:02
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Perks and expenses make good headlines but they aren't where the bulk of the money is spent.

No but as long as these continue at ridiculous levels whilst Championship clubs struggle to pay for basic essentials it shows the utter contempt the RFU have for the clubs they are supposed to represent.

Gray_Lensman 20 February, 2020 11:18
If they threaten to bring back the pay-offs then the Premiership would probably just ring fence and leave them to thrash around with reduced funding from the RFU and none from PRL. Not a very credible threat.

I really do think the Championship needs to come under the banner of PRL as part of a reorganisation of professional rugby in the British Isles. With CVC probably about to take a 27% stake in Pro 14 (the Irish regulators cleared it last month - as long as they clear any future stake in the 6N) I can easily see a British and Irish League being formed. I suspect you'd want to ditch Italy and South Africa. Also the EPCR might be a bit unhappy but I'm sure you could come up with a France v B&I tournament. Imagine a Grand Final for that.

I can see that this might condemn some, if not all, second tier English clubs to a permanent existence at that level but that's the situation for most of them anyway. Our extended sojourn there was an anomaly that suited the rest of the Championship. And I know it might be seen as patronising that it would make Pirates Exeter's designated feeder club, Hartpury Gloucester's etc but maybe that's the commercial reality for a minority sport like rugby union.

Big Dave 20 February, 2020 14:55
I think you're right, GL. And if we don't come up with a solution like that now we'll end up in a situation where we have 12 pro teams and a severely reduced set of means to develop quality players. And it will restrict the national spread of decent clubs at a decent level of the game.

And I don't think it's patronising to Pirates either. Cornwall can't sustain a premiership team, at least not one that can compete with clubs like Bristol.

I also think the Bedfords and Coventrys of this world have an important role to play.

Rich. 20 February, 2020 15:12
I know that's been your consistent view about Cornwell BD but I think the move to Truro will start them to be seen as a team representing the whole of Cornwall and not just P&N. IF they were to get to the Prem then they will be big news down there and with little or no top sport competition. It will also be the "must do" away trip for fans from other clubs and, all in all, I think they'd get 10k a week if they were competitive enough which with the BT Sport money and their backer they could be. I see no reason why they have less chance to succeed than Newcastle for example. They have more chance if they can go up and survive the first season.

AdminBTCov 20 February, 2020 15:12
Quote:
thorpebayexile
It's easy to throw stones at the RFU. The reason they can't sell it is the same reason that a good crowd at a championship game, other than for the demoted side, is less than 1000. When they showed even the play off games on TV, I understand the viewing figures were dire.

Nobody out there is really that interested other than the few hundred fans of each club.
Really?
A semblance of fact would perhaps be pertinent?
Leaving aside the visiting cartel club, both Cov and Bedford average around 2.5k, with Pirates near 2000.
Not great figures, but, 'few hundred'?

Edited to remove errant quote tag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2020 15:14 by AdminBTCov.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net