Latest news:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Protheroe
Discussion started by memnoch , 19 February, 2020 09:34
Protheroe
memnoch 19 February, 2020 09:34
Well my thread on Purdy worked so let’s see if this one does.

We need to sign him up on a long contract.

Imagine being able to choose from Piatau Protheroe Morohan Leiua Radaradra Purdy.

Re: Protheroe
Gray_Lensman 19 February, 2020 09:35
All within the Salary Cap!

Bris21 19 February, 2020 09:41
I think Protheroe will return to Wales and we will sign Malins as a replacement.

TimothyQ 19 February, 2020 09:57
I would love for us to keep Protheroe, but I am resigned to losing him to a welsh region.

Hercules Spoons 19 February, 2020 10:03
I'm a Protheroe fan too.

youngone 19 February, 2020 10:12
Replacing him with Mallins would be a right result if he does go. I am a huge fan of Protheroe and think we should absolutely keep him but if the allure of international rugby in his mind necessitates a move to Wales, then so be it. Something is wrong though for a player of his quality to leave a team knocking on the top 4 of the prem in order to join one of the (on form) worst teams in the UK in order to increase their likelihood of playing international rugby.. Surely you want your players playing at the highest level? Liam Williams & Wales hardly suffered from playing at Sarries for the past few years.

Jimeno 19 February, 2020 10:19
I would be very sorry to see Protheroe go but can see it happening.

ˇVamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Graham_U 19 February, 2020 10:30
Personally I would have been developing him into one of our starting wingers since he signed, an he'd be a regular now. At FB he will be behind CP for another couple of years which must give him reasons to move to somewhere he'd be a starter if he has the ambition to match his talent.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rinkadink 19 February, 2020 10:34
Would have made his retention a priority, over CP given the cap also if I'm being honest and if it came down to it.

Come on Matty, stay in Bris and don't follow in the steps of Watkins and co.

Rich. 19 February, 2020 10:42
All evidence suggests that playing in the Premiership will not harm his chances of playing for Wales at all. He'd not be guaranteed a starter place at any of the regions (as that would make a difference) and Pivac can see him playing (hopefully) in the Champions Cup and Prem next season when coming off the bench or CP rested or injured.

SparkyBris 19 February, 2020 11:21
Quote:
Rich.
All evidence suggests that playing in the Premiership will not harm his chances of playing for Wales at all. He'd not be guaranteed a starter place at any of the regions (as that would make a difference) and Pivac can see him playing (hopefully) in the Champions Cup and Prem next season when coming off the bench or CP rested or injured.

This is a very good point. To improve his chances of selection for the national team, he needs to be playing regularly at the highest level domestically and in Europe. Only Ospreys are in the Champions Cup this season and the only side likely to be playing in it next season would likely be Scarlets who have a wealth of talent in the back 3.
I would like to think we’ll be playing in the Champ Cup next season, so I hope that we’d be able to provide a bit more of a ‘shop window’ for Proth as Rich says above.
Either way, I’d be gutted if Matty goes, but totally respect that he needs to do whatever is best for him and his career.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Purpendicular 19 February, 2020 16:44
The history of our Welsh players going back over the bridge to pursue international recognition is not great.

Knowle Blue 19 February, 2020 18:16
Agree totally Purpendicular, I would like to see him stay, and I hope Matty looks hard at the evidence and not just listen to the maybe’s, if he makes a strong enough statement with us, then an international coach will pick him. I fully understand his aspirations, but I’m always concerned that the likes of Ospreys etc talk a better case than the reality proves.

Platwell House 19 February, 2020 18:23
It is great for the club to have this competition in the backs. I really hope Matt doesn't do a Matt Morgan or a Jordan Williams because he is still developing and I hope will turn into the number one full back in years to come.

Hercules Spoons 19 February, 2020 19:40
Do Agents make a better commission on a relocation than on a re-signing?

Pub Singer 20 February, 2020 10:43
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Do Agents make a better commission on a relocation than on a re-signing?
It will be the same percentage so it depends on which club will pay more.

RJC 20 February, 2020 15:15
Has there been any rumours or has he talked about representing Wales?

Since the change in selection policy they have looked for the talent outside of Wales to call up, with Adams at Wuss, Tompkins & Carre @ Sarries.

Protheroe is up against it with Piutau at Full Back and Radrada & Morahan on the wing, but to displace any of them, or a good showing during an injury crisis and he could get on Pivac's radar.

If he moves over the bridge and gets regular game time then fair play to him, but it's not always greener over the bridge.

TimothyQ 20 February, 2020 15:31
@ RJC - I haven't heard anything concrete, but there has been some stuff in the press about 'several' welsh regions.

It's a different situation to Williams, Williams and Morgan because those guys were genuine first-choice players with us when we were in the Championship or at the bottom of the table. Protheroe is our second-choice full back (and, IMO, Charles is so good that we need him to play in his best position) and PL appears to have cooled on the plan of playing him on the wing. You guys may recall that MP started our first couple games on the wing this season, but that experiment was abandoned after the Quins game.

If we can't / won't offer him regular starting rugby, and he would in the international shop window in wales, and a Welsh region offers him more money...then I think this is one we battle we are likely to lose.

It would be a bit bitter to lose such a good player under those circumstances, but it is going to happen more and more if the club is successful in its goal of becoming a top European team.

Sit_Down 20 February, 2020 18:13
It would me a massive shame but would (a) potentially allow us to see more of Lloyd and/or (b) allow us to get in another young talent - that said, the Purdy signing might have been made in light of the knowledge that Protheroe is off.

Graham_U 22 February, 2020 12:16
Interesting question: would you select Purdy over Protheroe on the wing? I think with the selection and signing this week we can see how Pat see it. The fact that Protheroe can not make the 23 in what is a bit of a rotated selection must be worrying if Protheroe was hoping to stay.
Personally I see Purdy as solid with some potential to improve, against Protheroe with some historical light weight defensive issues that have improved, but an outstanding game changing Xfactor. Clearly he is a player who works best of a firm pitch, and so I was disapponted to see the abandoning of the experiment with him on the wing after the very wet Quins match when he was so good in the opener. I'm disappointed that Pat has not been able to coach him to his required standard to be a regular in the 23.
One thing we need to be planning for is the future where Leiua and Moraham are not first choice. Both can still put in top level performances, but are moving toward the later stages of their career, and have not been consistently at the high level of their early time with us.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net