Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Best and Worst
Discussion started by Meerkats1970 , 25 March, 2020 10:22
Best and Worst
Meerkats1970 25 March, 2020 10:22
Whilst we have time to stew in our rugby memories, doesn't have to be Bristol

Best Game

Bristol v Bath - Lee Robinson, needs no explanation, or maybe it does. Importance of the game, not the best game of rugby and maybe one Bath we just going to win and put the newly promoted neighbours back in their box. Step up the great horseman.

Worst -

Ayr v Bristol (forgotten the name of the cup). Bristol all talk, unable to walk the walk, took my dad to the game, not a supporter, never watch me play and now he's a bloody Ayr supporter. Probably about 10 bristol supporters their who watch the most abject performance by a team unable to handle the long grass.

What are yours???

Re: Best and Worst
Stevie_Wonder 25 March, 2020 11:10
Best - Bath last season. For the same reasons as you Meerkats, but after the Barron years we had been through that really put us back on the map.

Worst - For me it was a home game against Newcastle in the season we got relegated that started the rot (about 2009?) There were a few games left in the season and we had a very slim chance of staying up. Newcastle were one of the teams we could catch, they weren't that great and we got thumped at home by them. That was horrible, it felt like there was no fight left in the players, fans were leaving before the end. And looking back that was the beginning of the bad times. Honourable mention to that playoff loss to Worcester though... My god that was awful.

Jimeno 25 March, 2020 11:53
Worst - Bristol v Sale - round 7 of 2016/17

Sale were thought to be the team we could get our first win of the season off - ended 13 - 31

Best - probably this season against Bath at home, or the time before that, or the time before that.

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

hooter 25 March, 2020 11:59
Worst has to be up at wous when they beat us to promotion
Best has to be against Gloucester at the mem with that drop goal

Furriner 25 March, 2020 12:21
Lots of good matches Iím pleased to say. Obviously the surprise wins, like Sarries up at Watford when we took them apart, 05 or 06 Iíd guess.

The worst was at the Mem against Sale. Again, canít remember the year but I recall they had one or two strong wingers, and their Saverimutto brother was better than ours.

BS7 25 March, 2020 12:30
Best:-
Bris v Glos on that wet evening, drop goal was legendary.
Honourable mention to Bris v Leics in the JP Cup final '83 (I think), sat in really good seats not far behind Bill Beaumont's commentary position.

Worst:-
Yes the game v Newcastle where they experimented, (I recall or it was a horrid dream) with a winger at fly half and boy did that pay off. They came on to the pitch fired up and made Bris look 3rd best.
Also, all those nightmare games against Barf (where I used to work in the 80's).

I've now broken out in cold sweats again..... "Pat Lam, Pat Lam, Pat Lam"...... seems to calm me down and bring a smile and warm glow back. (Sm42)

Keep healthy and safe everyone!

Arjay 25 March, 2020 13:10
Just watched the Rugby Special highlights of the Ď83 cup final, how different the game was in tHose days. Got to be the best for me.

SparkyBris 25 March, 2020 14:13
Best Moment:
November 2006, the dying minutes vs Glaws. I'd lost my voice by this point and then the forwards started trundling. Hit-up after hit-up after hit-up. What a game! Jason Strange enters folklore!
17 Phases of Bristol

Worst Moment
February 2009 Home vs Newcastle. We were absolutely dire. Mathematically we were still in it, but on this day we just didn't turn up and got spanked 35-3. Falcons weren't even that good on the day, we were just woeful. Its the only time I've ever left a game before the final whistle as I couldn't bear to watch any more.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

hooter 25 March, 2020 14:20
Another good one, when we beat Leicester at the men after julian white got sent of at the first scrum, still think he did it deliberately as he joined them soon after!

Earlsbris 25 March, 2020 15:26
Best - Bristol v Bath, 2005 at the Mem. Lee Robinson going over for the Try was something special.

Worst - playoff final loss. I still donít think Iím over it. Closely followed by losing to Worcester away when promoted last time out under Robbo. Iíd managed to convince myself that we might just manage to stay up, but then Worcester beat us in a see-sawing game that we could have nicked (although we were outplayed.)

I managed to find a random bar in France who put the game on, and the only other person in the bar who wanted to watch it was a Worcester fan.

Itís worked out ok though, as that was the catalyst for Pat Lam

robtheh 25 March, 2020 16:01
Best - any one of Bristol v Exeter, 2004/05, the drop-goal v Glos 06/07 or Bath at home last season.

Worst - either Worcester away in the playoffs 14/15 or Newcastle at home 08/09 - also the only time Iíve left early. Both gut-wrenching.
Honourable mention to Bris v Sarries (13-13) 06/07 as it was such a terrible game, and absolutely freezing.

Brisman 25 March, 2020 17:08
Best: B**h at the start of last season, I donít think Iíve ever celebrated a try more than when Alapati Leiua scored. Seeing their fans pouring out the exits after that last line out wasnít straight was delicious too.

Worst: Sale away 1997-98, we lost 76-0! It was my first Bris away game, and at the time was a record defeat! It would take another 22 years for me to see an away win, but when it came it was against Stade in December, so not a bad place to break my duck!

Gray_Lensman 25 March, 2020 18:01
There have been some heavy defeats over the years but the worst game for me was away at Esher. It was only a narrow loss but it looked narrow because of a penalty try right at the end. The attitude of the team was absolutely shocking. Wandering around before the game laughing and joking absolutely no seriousness or preparation. Strolling onto the pitch in flip-flops. No respect for the supporters, the opposition or the club. A lot of people were very unhappy that day. It just about summed up the low ebb the club was at.

Not sure about the best, the Gloucester game, '83 final? But for me it is the 2003 win over B**h. Not because of the quality of the rugby but the sheer emotion. Talk of a merger between the two sides with B**h bottom of the league. Maybe neither side would exist soon or at least not in their current form. The genius and showmanship of Contepomi. And then the contrast with the next round, defeat away at Irish and B**h beating Newcastle. Talk about a roller-coaster. I think it was the win contrasted with all the troubles surrounding us that makes it the 'best'. It's the hope that kills.

tbr 25 March, 2020 19:30
Worst. January 2004. Henley, I wrote the match report here for that mess. [m.rugbynetwork.net]

Best. November 2006. Glos. [youtu.be]
Or perhaps the time I accidentally spilled my cider on Stuart Barnes' hush puppies in "Idiots Corner" in the mid 90s. Cant even remember the match. Or Even the year. Always a sign of a great night then for me! Probably 1994 ish. Possibly against Orrell. Or Sale?

tbr 25 March, 2020 19:40
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
There have been some heavy defeats over the years but the worst game for me was away at Esher. It was only a narrow loss but it looked narrow because of a penalty try right at the end. The attitude of the team was absolutely shocking. Wandering around before the game laughing and joking absolutely no seriousness or preparation. Strolling onto the pitch in flip-flops. No respect for the supporters, the opposition or the club. A lot of people were very unhappy that day. It just about summed up the low ebb the club was at.

Blimey I remember that one.
Me and the missus had a great few pre match drinks and a lunch at the Barley Mow at Hersham up the road (a nod to Sham 69 for us) then bumped into Cooch and John Inverdale (with his dog) at the ground... then had another few drinks at the game, then left early as we were so appalled by the Bris team that day.

Peter D 25 March, 2020 20:32
Best
Cup Final win over Leicester 1983

Worst
Second leg relegation playoff to London Scottish . Not long after that the administrators were called in.I don't think we really got over that until very recently.

Brisexile 25 March, 2020 20:41
Best? I loved the concept of the Mem, how it came to be and the gates. Times have moved on a lot but I miss honouring those before us.

The game Contepomi sat in the stands.

Lemiís solo kick return and try. Was it against Barf?

Someone heckling Will Carling when he thought he was a fly half. Carling was teeíd up to take a shot at goal right in front of us, the ground went quiet and then a phone rang out. It rang three or four times before being silenced and a voice shattered the still.
ďOi, Carling! Itís for you. Itís the palace!Ē
I swear Carling was laughing as he shanked the kick wide.

Exiled by then: listening to us beat Barf first game back in the top league 2004ish. I was in the office on double time and did nothing but listen to the game.

Henley away in the, then, second division. Bristol fans outnumbered the home 10:1. We drank the bar dry, won well and I remember a chap in a Henley blazer hoping weíd come back next year due to the bar and gate takings. We got promoted and they relegated that season.

Seasons in the Championship when I didnít fear looking up the score.

Bryan Lima being carried off into retirement shoulder high.

The worst.
A seemingly unending list of greats turned lame. Henry Honniball (sp?) Ross Beattie, Ryan Jones.

Watching Salts &Co be scattered after relegation.

Going bust and selling half the family silver. Twice.

The silence at Northampton as Dan Ward-Smithís career effectively ended. Sickening.

Playoffs. Just no. No. Iíd rather toss a coin next time, weíd have more chance.

Worcester away last season. We owe them for that.

Learning to believe in Pat. Itís the hope that gets you as a fan!

Brisman 25 March, 2020 20:56
If weíre allowed experiences that arenít connected to specific games, then losing the Mem to the Gas is a real low point for me. Aside from Bris, Iím a big City fan so I never wanted them there in the first place. I genuinely do miss going to the Mem as when it was packed for a big game, the atmosphere was electric.

That said Iím very, very happy where we are now, and I wonít ever have to choose between which one of my great sporting loves to watch.

Rinkadink 26 March, 2020 03:59
Think I've tried to block it from my mind but didn't we lose heavily to Nottingham away in the championship during the dark years? Awful. Only game I left the stands early was same as above; Falcons at home for an effective relegation decider. Went to the clubhouse with about 10 minutes left and ordered two drinks for myself. Probably joint most worrying was London Irish away relegation, our future was not secure and ye olde enemy...

Lot of good ones, most mentioned. One that hasn't is Sarries at home last season as it was so significant,.For the first time in too long I felt confident of our direction and truly pushing on to bigger and better things. Belief. Also Doncaster in the playoff we actually managed to win after being cruelly denied in some real sporting injustice for years prior to that. Mad as we didn't even win the final leg itself but aggregate in our favour; the crazy emotion after all that time... I ended up going onto the pitch and had Marco Mama bouncing under my arm at one point amongst many other scenes. Also chatting to Will Hurrell and saying how good he played + he would be more welcome to join us at Bristol... which he did not long after. winking smiley

RJC 26 March, 2020 08:33
Best was any recent victory to Bath or Glos, but also the nilling of Stade at the Mem.

Worst the home defeat to Exeter in the playoff final, we were so arrogant and deserved to lose that night.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net