Latest news:
Untitled Document

Rugby behind closed doors
Discussion started by graham t , 08 May, 2020 19:36
Rugby behind closed doors
graham t 08 May, 2020 19:36
How do others view the prospect of watching rugby played with no crowd on TV?
I find the prospect unappealing to say the least. Would I bother to watch? I'm not sure. I suppose I'd try a couple of games and take it from there. Certainly the 6 nations games without a crowd would be weird. I can't imagine the intensity of any game getting close to normal without a crowd. Fixtures such as England v Wales are about so much more than just the players on the pitch.

I feel sorry for the players; it's hard to see any bio control be 100% effective. If any player had serious misgivings about taking part especially if they were living with someone vulnerable they would feel under a lot of pressure whatever the Club and coaching staff said about no being forced to do it.

Re: Rugby behind closed doors
Rich. 08 May, 2020 21:07
Will they (on TV or at the ground itself) add crowd noise? The Bunders League starts next week and NZ Super Rugby sides will start in their New Zealand only tournament before for any end of our season(as will others) so it will be interesting to see what other sports and other leagues do about that. I'm sure some will add crowd noise.

Now artificial noise at games with crowds we know is an appalling idea but it may be that, at least for the TV viewer, it will help in the way that good laughter on comedy programmes helps you to find it funnier. The exception to that of course being the US version of Mash with the canned laughter!!!

mat1 08 May, 2020 21:55
Tbh at times I've followed games on Twitter sny way of seeing a game is a positive sooner the better

Graham_U 09 May, 2020 15:45
Would prefer it without added noise that always sounds quite false. Certainly prefer full contact with no crowd to the souped up touch some like Monye have proposed. But really think the whole squad would need to be isolated until the virus is virtually out of the wider society. Rugby game and training would be the ideal breeding ground

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Graham_U 09 May, 2020 15:49
Forgot to add, any one that watched the A league matches on Freeport last season would know what to expect. An interesting bonus is that you can hear the calls and communication between player and from the touchline, which adds a interesting angle

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rich. 09 May, 2020 16:00
Good point Graham U.

Yes I don't think artificial crowd noise would be good but I'm sure it'll be considered and some league in some sport will try it.

hooker 72 11 May, 2020 09:23
Firstly good health to everyone. Regarding the rugby behind closed doors, iím a big baseball fan and have been watching the professional leagues in Taiwan and South Korea online, upto now theyíve played without fans, i thought it would be rubbish but very soon into a game, i realised i missed the sport so much you dont care there arenít any fans, you just get into the game and thatís what matters. Iím all for rugby starting asap, behind closed doors shouldnít be an issue,

Big Dave 11 May, 2020 17:58
Well, my kids are having their education and lives interrupted, working life is "interesting" and I doubt I'll see my elderly parents this side of Christmas, so a bit of non-contact rugby in an empty stadium is something I can live with for a bit! We're all in the same very odd boat right now and this is just a part of that. Good health and safety to one and all.

SimonG19 12 May, 2020 12:34
Well said Big Dave. I don't believe it will be compulsory to watch it anyway!

p.p 12 May, 2020 18:59
to get any rugby watched live on telly with no crowd has got to be better than whats on offer now ......nothing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net