Latest news:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Steve Lansdown; Premiership salary cap should stay
Graham_U 22 May, 2020 18:43
Something that might upset Rollo, but I think Chris Vui in an has been equally as good as Steve Luatua, and is someone that could complain at being under paid.that's in no way putting Steve's contribution down, whose leadership is invaluable, as is his grunt. But Vui, workrate, speed, and line-outs work are even better, I think Chris has improved that much, particularly as he plays most games out of his best position, that is occupied by Luatua.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

ROLLO 23 May, 2020 12:44
Graham_U it does not upset me at all. We were very sorry to lose Chris ( especially after we had got him back to full fitness smiling smiley ) but we understood the commitment he had made to Pat Lam and he went with our best wishes.
IMHO from what I have seen his contriutions has been as valuable as Charles Pitui, albeit in areas that are not alawsys seen.

C'mon you Bristol Old Boys

Slow centre 23 May, 2020 14:47
Totally disagree with Landsdown and many of the comments on here. The game has to be sustainable as a whole and create a league. No place for ĎIím a billionaire so can foot the billí this was exactly the attitude that Wray and Craig had/have and look how thatís turned out. Many on here had very negative views of Craigís position historically but now seem to be ok because we now have wealthy backer?

Rich. 23 May, 2020 15:34
Quote:
Slow centre
Totally disagree with Landsdown and many of the comments on here. The game has to be sustainable as a whole and create a league. No place for ĎIím a billionaire so can foot the billí this was exactly the attitude that Wray and Craig had/have and look how thatís turned out. Many on here had very negative views of Craigís position historically but now seem to be ok because we now have wealthy backer?

When we were hard up and couldn't afford a team good enough to really compete with the rest of the Prem did we ask for all the other teams to reduce their payments on salaries to our level? No course we didn't. Nor did the others insist we match the money they were spending on salaries.

So this time, when at last we have the money and coaches and players to really compete again at long last, why should we have to reduce our salary bill to the level of the lowest paying clubs in the Premiership? And we are asking no one to match our spending levels in the same way Leicester and Bath did not insist we match theirs a few years back.

Us, Exe and others spending close to the cap and using 2 marquee players will not make the league unsustainable as no-one needs to follow if they don't want to or can't.

Also bear in mind that the reason sponsors put money into the Premiership and it's clubs has a strong link with the quality of play on the pitch. If the Premiership becomes a second class league then the reduction in sponsorship and gate money will follow and will hit every club. So not sure having no marquee players and a lower salary cap would actually help any Prem side at all!

Rinkadink 23 May, 2020 17:44
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Slow centre

When we were hard up and couldn't afford a team good enough to really compete with the rest of the Prem did we ask for all the other teams to reduce their payments on salaries to our level? No course we didn't. Nor did the others insist we match the money they were spending on salaries.

So this time, when at last we have the money and coaches and players to really compete again at long last, why should we have to reduce our salary bill to the level of the lowest paying clubs in the Premiership? And we are asking no one to match our spending levels in the same way Leicester and Bath did not insist we match theirs a few years back.

Us, Exe and others spending close to the cap and using 2 marquee players will not make the league unsustainable as no-one needs to follow if they don't want to or can't.

Also bear in mind that the reason sponsors put money into the Premiership and it's clubs has a strong link with the quality of play on the pitch. If the Premiership becomes a second class league then the reduction in sponsorship and gate money will follow and will hit every club. So not sure having no marquee players and a lower salary cap would actually help any Prem side at all!
I completely forgot to come back and edit my post but this pretty much nails what I was thinking in a far more agreeable manner than I could manage.

The cartel aren't happy they might not be top dogs for much longer. It was fine for them to increase when it suited and we didn't campaign to shut them down. Cut your cloth accordingly as we have done all along, don't ruin the competition and rugby in this country out of selfishness.

Slow centre 23 May, 2020 18:57
So every club apart from Exeter was loss making pre-Corona - wages have spiralled out of control, The number players earning over £300k p.a have increased from less than 10 to nearly 100 in 5 years. Professional rugby was broken economically pre Corona (tv deal expiring and no real demand to renew or increase, tv numbers for the club game remain tiny) and if extreme measures arent taken the whole thing could fold. But hey, we are ok as weíve got Steve.

Rinkadink 23 May, 2020 19:25
Quote:
Slow centre
if extreme measures arent taken the whole thing could fold
Utter nonsense, clubs should do what we, Worcester, Falcons, Irish, the whole of the championship and the like have done for years; don't spend money you don't have. It means you probably won't win a title but opens the door for those that can afford to as has been the case in the past (excluding the cheats).

The whole thing will fold if it becomes a second rate competition, not if some previous top clubs are no longer top. I'm sure an injection of millions to some championship clubs and a chance to compete at the top table would be welcome if some current premiership clubs are refusing to accept their current status and want to drag everyone down to their level restricting ambition and competition.

Prop Joe 23 May, 2020 19:51
Completely agree with Rich and Rinkadink's posts above

Sider Ken 23 May, 2020 21:40
Seems to me people when talking about Bristol and the salary cap mention Piutau, Hughes etc but the backbone of our team in the last couple of seasons has been former Championship players and the likes of Thacker, Sheedy and Thomas who are not on large salaries

Peter_B 23 May, 2020 23:25
I donít remember when we introduced the marquee player or when the salary cap was substantially increased. I suspect this might be because it happened when we were in the Championship.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

rjssomerset 24 May, 2020 08:42
If our home attendance is for example 10,000 heads a game more than Sale then that's around 300-400 k of revenue for each home game so I think we are fully entitled to spend that how we wish.

Rich. 24 May, 2020 09:10
Quote:
rjssomerset
If our home attendance is for example 10,000 heads a game more than Sale then that's around 300-400 k of revenue for each home game so I think we are fully entitled to spend that how we wish.

Provided we spend within the salary cap and follow the rules yes.

dpw 24 May, 2020 10:42
This could have been us had it not been for SL.....!!!
See BBC report here.......
[www.bbc.co.uk]

rjssomerset 24 May, 2020 10:54
Absolutely

Ayerzawannabe 24 May, 2020 15:42
Quote:
dpw
This could have been us had it not been for SL.....!!!
See BBC report here.......
[www.bbc.co.uk]

All the more ironic given he's calling for ringfencing

BS7 24 May, 2020 21:33
I wonder what the other clubs think about a potential ring fence? Think Sarries would be against it! Think Ealing would also argue against it. We are in exceptional times and lucky to be in the situation with a fabulous owner but feel we are getting a lot of undeserved flak from the press etc. We have run a side with very few 'stars' and getting full value from other sides cast offs or players from lower leagues. We have suffered over decades from clubs tempting or stripping us of our star players so strange feeling to be 'on the other side'. In Steve & Pat, I trust. Stay safe everyone.

Stevie_Wonder 26 May, 2020 09:06
I think this whole "sugar daddy" argument is pretty shallow. Ultimately it comes down to how self sustainable the club is / can be, not how deep the current owners pockets are at any given time.

SL knows that if Bristol are challenging top 4 and in Europe, he likely won't have to put his hand in his pocket at all. We'll be averaging 20k plus through the gate, sponsorship, corporate hospitality etc will be flying. The stadium (granted owned by the parent company not Bristol Rugby) is multi use and brings in income. Bottom line is that his capital investment should be relatively short lived and it will become a sustainable entity even spending right up to the cap. Most of his spending has also been in infrastructure - stadium, training ground etc. On pitch spending has been a fraction in comparison.

Compare with Saracens, who had their team bank rolled for a decade while still being one of the lowest supported teams in the league. They just don't have the fan base to sustain it. Their ground doesn't bring in income, they can give away as many free tickets for one game a year at HQ / Wembley / Spurs stadium, but it doesn't buy a true fan base. Their corporate hospitality income (or match day as a whole) cant be more than 20% of what Bristol bring in.

I've been vocal about Ealing being the same. Unless you have a solid fan base, its unsustainable. Bristol, through thick and thin, have a huge fan base and an even bigger, rugby playing / supporting area to tap in to the casual fans.

I'm not arguing the point that we are very fortunate to have SL backing us, but it is a very different situation to many other clubs. We will be self sufficient, even with the salary cap as it is or higher, its as simple as that.

Big Dave 26 May, 2020 17:37
"Cut your cloth accordingly as we have done all along"

We went bust once, and almost twice more. Cutting our cloth to suit our circumstances was something we were rubbish at until SL arrived and gave us an unlimited amount of cloth.

Bris Bob 26 May, 2020 18:00
And if the : Cloth Cap Fits Wear It: I would say

BS7 26 May, 2020 20:17
I remember when we needed a 12 and Olly Barkley had become available, trouble was, he wanted the same amount of money that the rest of the first team put together was on. Suffice to say, thank god, we didn't pursue. In the past, we have often been out bid or suffered players leaving for wealthier clubs. We now have the financial clout to compete. That, and a much, much better backroom/environment including one of the best coaches around. We didn't set the ground rules so can't be blamed.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net