Latest news:
Untitled Document

"Big Chief" goes.... but that will be all for now.
Discussion started by tbr , 30 July, 2020 07:01
"Big Chief" goes.... but that will be all for now.
tbr 30 July, 2020 07:01
Bit surprised that another decision wasn't taken to be honest.

[www.theguardian.com]

I would think the rebrand (or more accurately DEbrand) will eventually be irresistible though and the board will sooner or later change their minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2020 07:03 by tbr.

Re: "Big Chief" goes.... but that will be all for now.
HairyKane 30 July, 2020 07:17
£

Gray_Lensman 30 July, 2020 08:54
Surely rebranded merchandise means more £££?

No one thinks there is anything wrong with the name 'Chiefs'. On the other hand plenty of people for some time have had issues with the patronising and stereotypical Native American imagery. Dropping the Big Chief mascot implies that they know there's 'something' wrong with it but that 'something' doesn't apply to the rest of their brand image. Strange decision, either brazen the whole racist thing out or change the whole thing. If Big Chief is wrong then logically the rest of that Native American stuff is wrong too.

tbr 30 July, 2020 09:24
Quote:
HairyKane
£

By "£", I assume you mean "Wampum"?

Peter_B 30 July, 2020 11:42
Hopefully getting rid of the mascot will be a hint to the numpties who wear headdresses and make irritating noises.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Earlsbris 30 July, 2020 20:05
I find this very odd.

Putting aside the obvious issue about the Native American branding (which has been debated at length) surely it all comes as a package?

Eg the board believe that using the Native American symbolism is ok, or not. I don’t see the point in getting rid of the mascot and keeping the image on the badge.

Also, I appreciate the fact that the board have said that clubs in Devon have used the term ‘chiefs’ for 100 years, but the Native American imagery was only adopted in 1999 - hardly a prime part of their heritage

gaudi 31 July, 2020 19:36
I wonder if it’s more about the new stock of tee shirts with a great big head on the back that are being marketed? Official merch which I bet someone wishes they could rethink?

hooter 31 July, 2020 21:35
Easy just wear it inside out(Sm100)

HairyKane 01 August, 2020 06:57
Quote:
tbr
Quote:
HairyKane
£

By "£", I assume you mean "Wampum"?

Correct. As Gray said, rebranding costs money.

Even with Exeter’s ‘ all within budget’, ‘only prem club to turn a profit dontcha know’, ‘shoe-string approach’; with no games / fans or conferences to host, losing £1m a month over the last 5 months can’t have helped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net