Latest news:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Team for Saracens
Discussion started by JMills , 06 August, 2020 11:39
Team for Saracens
JMills 06 August, 2020 11:39
With this morning's announcement confirming that all games will be on BT Sport and the fact that our first game is just over a week away I thought it would be good to kick off the Team Predictions again. Pat Lam is hard to second guess under normal circumstances but with such a tight fixture list it will be even harder. This is my guess:
1. Woolmore
2. Thacker
3. Sinckler
4. Attwood
5. Vui
6. Luatua
7. D.Thomas
8. Hughes
9. Randall
10. Sheedy
11. Purdy
12. S.Piutau
13. Radrada
14. Morahan
15. C.Piutau

16. Capon
17. Y.Thomas
18. Afoa
19. Holmes
20. Earl
21. Uren
22. Malins
23. O'Conor

Lots of good players missing out whatever the selection but all will be needed in the coming weeks.

Re: Team for Saracens
Rich. 06 August, 2020 11:53
Agree with that if going for best team, other than Joyce instead of Attwood and Leiua instead of Purdy.

I also think he may start with Afoa on basis that a new player should not just walk into a first team start when the incumbent is so very good.

Malins injured hamstring in training and although he was hoping to be back in training last week, even if he was. he may not be 'match fit' (well not as match fit as the others will be). So they may not risk him, even on bench.

But will Pat mix and match a bit and try to play similarish strength teams for every match? Will he, for example, match up Bedlow and Raradra and Piutua and O'Connor as his two centre combinations?

JMills 06 August, 2020 13:39
Afoa and Leuia were the ones that I spent most time deliberating over.

Also not sure if the Saracens loanees are definitely eligible.

JMills 06 August, 2020 13:47
Saracens announced their squad for the rest of the season yesterday and despite some big name departures they could still line up with this:
1. M.Vunipola
2. George
3. Koch
4. Itoje
5. Kpoku
6. Rhodes
7. Wray
8. B.Vunipola
9. Wigglesworth
10. Farrell
11. Daly
12. Barritt
13. Taylor
14. Maitland
15. Goode

They have lost a bit of depth but still a formidable team.

robtheh 06 August, 2020 14:56
Ahhhh Iíve missed this!!

Iíll go with:

Yann
Thacker
Sinckler
Attwood
Vui
Luatua
Earl
Hughes
Uren
Sheedy
Purdy
S. Piutau
Radradra
Morahan
C. Piutau

Woolmore
Capon
Afoa
Holmes
Thomas
Randall
Leiua
Malins (if fit)

Rich. 06 August, 2020 16:07
The Sarries loanees can play. They were taking about it on some podcast.

TimothyQ 06 August, 2020 16:48
Based on PL's comments about Ioan Lloyd, I get the impression that he's been held back from the first team to manage his development but is likely to be in greater contention for the starting spot over the next twelve months.

There are some big names missing from my 23 such as Alapati, POC and Uren, but it's just a testament to how much the squad has developed. I expect we will need the deep squad as injuries and the congested fixture schedule starts to bite.

1. Woolmore
2. Thacker
3. Sinckler
4. Attwood
5. Vui
6. Luatua
7. Earl
8. Hughes
9. Randall
10. Lloyd
11. Purdy
12. S.Piutau
13. Radrada
14. Morahan
15. C.Piutau

16. Capon
17. Y.Thomas
18. Afoa
19. Holmes
20. D. Thomas
21. Cook
22. Sheedy
23. Mallins

I can hardly wait.

youngone 06 August, 2020 17:23
I for one don't expect to see the new signings straight away. There is a congested fixture period ahead meaning they will need to play soon regardless so i don't see the need to rush to their deployment. We were also going very well before the break and i think Lam might not see the need to change, i'll go with:

Woolmore
Capon
Afoa
Joyce
Vui
Thomas
Luatua
Hughes
Randall
Sheedy
Leiua
Bedlow
O'Conor
Morahan
Piutau

Thacker
Lahiff
Y. Thomas
Holmes
Heenan
Uren
Eden
Purdy

Rinkadink 06 August, 2020 17:29
Cook over Uren is mental IMO...

1. Woolmore
2. Thacker
3. Sinckler
4. Joyce
5. Vui
6. Luatua(c)
7. Earle
8. Hughes
9. Uren
10. Sheedy
11. Leiua
12. Bedlow
13. Radrada
14. Morahan
15. C.Piutau

You could easily switch half of these out/shuffle position and the side would be virtually no weaker. We've come a long way. EG;

1. Y.Thomas
2. Capon
3. Afoa
4. Attwood
5. Holmes
6. Luatua
7. D.Thomas
8. Earle
9. Randall
10. Sheedy
11. Radradra
12. S.Piutau
13. O'Connor
14. Morahan
15. Malins

***plus more

I'm sure any side we put out will be competitive and I can't wait. Just happy we still have a club and everyone is healthy.

C'mon Bris.

Rinkadink 06 August, 2020 17:33
Quote:
youngone
I for one don't expect to see the new signings straight away.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case either, subs will be interesting. Perhaps maybe one integrated into starting XV. Have no idea really.

Going to be great regardless.

James_P 06 August, 2020 19:23
Woolmore
Thacker
Sinckler
Attwood
Vui
Luatua
Earl
Hughes
Uren
Sheedy
Leiua
Bedlow
Radrada
Morahan
Piutau

Capon
Lahiff
Afoa
Holmes
Thomas
Randall
Malins
O'Connor

SparkyBris 07 August, 2020 10:57
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
youngone
I for one don't expect to see the new signings straight away.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case either, subs will be interesting. Perhaps maybe one integrated into starting XV. Have no idea really.

Going to be great regardless.

I tend to agree, so think we'll be more like this to start:

1. J. Woolmore
2. H. Thacker
3. J. Afoa
4. C. Vui
5. D. Attwood
6. S. Luatua
7. D. Thomas
8. N. Hughes
9. H. Randall
10. C. Sheedy
11. A. Leiua
12. S. Piutau
13. P. O'Connor
14. L. Morahan
15. C. Piutau

16. W. Capon
17. K. Sinkler
18. Y. Thomas
19. E. Holmes
20. B. Earl
21. A. Uren
22. M. Malins
23. S. Radrada

Sarries have stated that they're not just in for the ride in terms of finishing the season, so they'll need to name a strong side from the off. That said though, imagine bringing on our new boys against their tired legs (Sm93)

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

James_P 07 August, 2020 11:17
Surprised at how many are going for Piutau straight back in at 12. Bedlow was at 12 for the last 5 in a row where we won them all, shirt is his to lose at present I'd suggest. Plus brings another kicking option and better distribution in my opinion.

TimothyQ 07 August, 2020 12:09
We will see what happens, but I expect Lam to put out the strongest possible side against Sarries, and that will depend upon the training ground performances that we donít see.

If we know one thing about PL itís that he runs a brutal meritocracy. So if the old boy is a 9.0/10 and the new boy is a 9.1/10 (or vice versa) then the 9.1/10 will play, regardless of what he has cost or whether he has done his time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 12:10 by TimothyQ.

BS7 07 August, 2020 12:12
Quote:
James_P
Surprised at how many are going for Piutau straight back in at 12. Bedlow was at 12 for the last 5 in a row where we won them all, shirt is his to lose at present I'd suggest. Plus brings another kicking option and better distribution in my opinion.
Agree. What a fantastic dilemma to have trying to choose multiple player choices.
Can't wait. (Sm128)

Hercules Spoons 07 August, 2020 12:50
The playing schedule ahead is punishing (if not impossible for some squads if injuries occur) so, I think we'll see every team selection include established figures sprinkled with the likes of Armstrong, Dun, Eadie, Fricker, Eden, Hawkins, Heenan, Lloyd, Powell plus the occasional Apprentice.

We may see some new half back partnerships developed eg. Cook/Eden

PL and Connor (don't forget him, I think he has a big say) will assess each opponent and grade our team accordingly.

I'm expecting the bench to be stronger than the starters on occasions, especially early on in the resumption.

It's a fascinating scenario because we're still in the European Comp too.

Jim H 07 August, 2020 13:05
Quote:
James_P

There was a recent article about Bedlow and how he was becoming key to Bristols play , as Bundi Aki did, for Pat. WIll try and find the link...

Personally I think he offers more all round than Siale so would expect him to be first choice 12.

TimothyQ 07 August, 2020 13:38
Quote:
Jim H
Quote:
James_P

There was a recent article about Bedlow and how he was becoming key to Bristols play , as Bundi Aki did, for Pat. WIll try and find the link...

Personally I think he offers more all round than Siale so would expect him to be first choice 12.

Iíd be very interested to read that. Bedlow really impressed (and surprised) me in the final few games before the lockdown so I wouldnít be at all surprised if youíre right.

James_P 07 August, 2020 13:38
Quote:
Jim H
Quote:
James_P

Think it was in the Times wasn't it? Had Bedlow, C. Piutau and Hughes all in the top 10 in the league for the highest average number of possessions in the opposition 22 per game if I remember correctly. Would indicate him being a central part of our attacking shape.

Charlie1 07 August, 2020 20:17
My family lost money it didnít have, especially between the wars, when most pubs in Bristol apparently had in them a bookieís runner. So I leave well alone but I like to check sometimes as to how they view our chances before a game on Oddschecker. For the first time ever there are no odds for a Bristol game but they are available for every other game. I can only think that they are worried Saracens might start their ďrestingĒ of some players now and field an Academy ++ team which could expose them to a financial hammering.
Does anyone know, can we then hold back selection and wait and see who they will field or, as I suspect, do we have to declare at exactly the same time as they do. If itís the former, and with so many games over such a short period, why not use the opportunity to review different combinations and select accordingly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net