Latest news:
Untitled Document

Salary Cap 2 - This time it's not Sarries...
Discussion started by Jim H , 09 August, 2020 10:54
Salary Cap 2 - This time it's not Sarries...
Jim H 09 August, 2020 10:54
Neil Fissler/The Rugby paper reporting today that another club is being investigated for salary cap breaches. The only info is it's not Sarries and the club is in the running for the top 4.

Really hope it's not us after all noise SL/Pat made about staying in the cap. But it's looking like one of Us, Sale, Saints, Exeter or Wasps.

Can see Dimonds attitude meaning they take a chance with stretching things as far as they could, Exe do seem to hang onto players well and have signed some big names lately. Not sure about Saints or Wasps though.

Re: Salary Cap 2 - This time it's not Sarries...
Rich. 09 August, 2020 12:00
Not read the article but let's hope there nothing in it for the game's sake. It would be cock-up rather than deliberate if us but sure it won't be is if the story is true.

Gray_Lensman 09 August, 2020 12:03
In the running for the top four isn't just the current top four. Mathematically I guess that everyone bar $aracen$ could potentially make the top 4!

TimothyQ 09 August, 2020 12:13
After everything Pat said, it would destroy my faith in the human race if we are in breach.

Having said that, I really donít think itís us. Even with Luatua and Sinks coming under the cap, I donít see how we can be over.

James_P 09 August, 2020 12:44
Absolutely certain it isn't us after the number of times Lam has stated we are under the cap. Wouldn't be Wasps as they've got no cash. Saints would be a surprise given they've had to let Gibson go due to cap space. Sale or Quins would be my guesses given the number of expensive players at either club.

Rich. 09 August, 2020 13:21
Not that I am saying it is them James but why did you not add Bath to that list? Not saying they deserve to be added to any list but they were allegedly the 'second' club a few years back along with Saracens and so I might have expected people to think it might be them IF this story has legs.

Gray_Lensman 09 August, 2020 13:21
Plus an investigation isn't the same as being in breach.

Investigating should be something the SCM does all the time.

Rich. 09 August, 2020 13:27
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Plus an investigation isn't the same as being in breach.

Very good point - & they will be keen to be seen to be taking anything and everything very seriously after what happened with Sarries

cider head 09 August, 2020 13:57
If any club is above the salary cap now, just think how much they were over before the 25% wage reduction caused by the lockdown.

OldMarovian 09 August, 2020 15:12
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

It should be but it isn't. If it weren't for the greed of the PRL clubs they might have thought to use the Saracens penalty for setting up a proper salary compliance and investigation unit rather than one (very inept) man and his dog.
Myners suggestions will add more powers to the SCM both in investigation and sanctioning but little in the way of man-power.

Pennies to pounds that the current investigation is due to information received by the SCM rather than him discovering anything.

James_P 09 August, 2020 17:36
Quote:
Rich.
Not that I am saying it is them James but why did you not add Bath to that list? Not saying they deserve to be added to any list but they were allegedly the 'second' club a few years back along with Saracens and so I might have expected people to think it might be them IF this story has legs.

Honest answer would be that I completely forgot about them! Looking at their squad it could well be, given they were one of the sides that put a number of their first team squad out "on loan" to take them out of the cap. Whenever the question of cap compliance comes up I tend to just look for whoever has a lot of England players as they tend to cost a premium.

Was suggesting Quins due to the old England contingent present. Care, Brown, Marler, Robshaw will all have been on a very decent wage. Earle would presumably have been offered an increase to join them from Sarries. Then fringe England players like Clifford, Smith, Marchant etc would likely be on more than a typical prem squad player. Therefore was wondering where the cap space was to add Ashton at short notice as I can't imagine he would be cheap. Although in fairness given how vocal they've been about Sarries indiscretions it's pretty unlikely they would then break the cap themselves.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2020 20:54 by James_P.

Jonny thomas 09 August, 2020 18:10
I hope we are invested tbh
It will shut everyone up when we're cleared

thorpebayexile 10 August, 2020 10:36
Given what happened to Saracens and their fans denying everything then being proven wrong it would be openb minded about it being any club and wait until the investigation is completed. Obviously I hope it isn't Bristol and would be upset if it was.

Gray_Lensman 10 August, 2020 10:58
I forget which club it was (possibly 'Quins???) but not so long ago there was a minor cap breach that resulted in a £13k fine. It wasn't a long-term wholesale cheating regime like $aracen$, some sort of admin mixup or error. You would hope that this supposed investigation is something like that.

John Denver 10 August, 2020 11:19
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
I forget which club it was (possibly 'Quins???) but not so long ago there was a minor cap breach that resulted in a £13k fine. It wasn't a long-term wholesale cheating regime like $aracen$, some sort of admin mixup or error. You would hope that this supposed investigation is something like that.
Yes, I believe it was Quins and importantly they "volunteered" the information - obviously it had to then be investigated so the current breach may be on similar lines.

BathMatt53 10 August, 2020 11:23
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

[www.espn.co.uk]

There was 'no breach of the regulations' according to Prem Rugby - it was basically an overrun tax (which is in the Regulations, you just have to pay the fine). I think that it came about as their England players (Nathan Hughes?) was long terms injured so they didn't get the credits that they were expecting.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Field marshall 10 August, 2020 19:48
I think it's them down the road who are being whispered about. Not saying they have done anything wrong, but you can't get around the fact they do have a formidable squad. On paper better than most I'd say.

1spy 16 August, 2020 11:33
Not difficult to hide the pay of so many foreign players in the Premier teams. City of London are World Beating experts at laundering money offshore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net